Apple I computer fetches $387K in Christie's auction

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A rare Apple I computer from 1976 and signed by company co-founder Steve Wozniak brought in $387,750 in an online auction held by Christie's.

Apple I
Apple I on display at the Smithsonian. Photo via Wikipedia.

The final price for the historic machine was actually less than predicted, as a working Apple I brought in $671,400 in an auction in Germany earlier this year. Bidding on the most recent Christie's auction began at $300,000.

Still, the asking price for an Apple I has gone up considerably in recent years. For example, an Apple I in "superb" condition sold for $174,000 in a Christie's auction in London in 2010.

The system that went for nearly $400,000 is one of the first 25 Apple I computers ever assembled. It is inscribed with the serial number 01-0025 in black ink.

Only 200 Apple I computers were made, making the systems a rare collectors item. Between 30 and 50 units are believe to still exist.

When the Apple I was first released in 1976, the computer sold for $666.66. The systems were hand-built by Wozniak, who added his "Woz" signature to original documents included in the most recent auction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    That's it? It was supposed to be $600,000!

Apple is obviously doomed.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Clearly, this is another disappointment for Timid Cook maybe if it had a larger screen let's all get our pitch forks and demand his resignation /s
  • Reply 3 of 9
    $666.66, coincidence, I think not. I've already got my pitch fork out hahaha
  • Reply 4 of 9
    $666.66 is an evil sign .
  • Reply 5 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    $666.66 is an evil sign .

Clearly, Steve Jobs was the Anti-Christ and Tim Cook is Steve's Satanic servant carrying out his evil plan.
  • Reply 6 of 9

Man, these "rare" Apple Is seem to be popping up a lot lately...

• Reply 7 of 9
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

I wonder if these cash rich investors know how to run an Apple 1 ?

Lets see, less than 1,000 Apple shares to buy it.

I'll put my money into a new Mac, it's at least guaranteed !

• Reply 8 of 9

wow!!!!! <a href="

http://www.smackout.com/category/25-Laptops

link"> Computer Auction</a> ....love it

• Reply 9 of 9
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

My heart bleeds for them!