iOS 7 hints at 120fps support in future iPhone for super-slow-mo video

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Code hidden within the latest beta of iOS 7 suggests that Apple is planning to add a camera capable of recording 120-frames-per-second video to a future iPhone model.

Camera

A new camera feature referred to as "Mogul" was allegedly discovered in the third beta of iOS 7 by 9to5Mac. Tests suggested that the new software feature will allow video recording of 120 frames-per-second (fps) at an unknown resolution.

The addition of 120fps video would allow a future iPhone to offer crisp detail when playing videos back in slow motion. Such functionality is popular with sports cameras such as the wearable GoPro Hero3.

While the 120fps feature remains a secret, Apple has already revealed to developers that iOS 7 will give them the ability to record 60fps video with their iPhone applications.

There are currently applications on the iOS App Store, such as SloPro, which simulate high framerates in recording. However, in iOS 6, developers are not able to capture raw video at anything greater than 30 frames per second.

The addition of 120fps video in this year's anticipated iPhone upgrade would allow Apple to stay on par with Samsung's latest flagship handset, the Galaxy S4. That handset also offers super-slow-motion video capture capabilities with 120fps recordings.

This year, Apple has run an ad touting the fact that the iPhone is the most used camera in the world. And last year, the company promoted the new panorama capture feature that debuted in iOS 6.

However, hints of 120fps support in iOS 7 are not necessarily proof that the feature will appear in the next iPhone. For example, elements of an unfinished panorama feature were discovered in iOS 5 in 2011, more than a year before Apple would actually add it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [QUOTE]super[/QUOTE]

Well... half normal speed. It's no femtosecond camera.
  • Reply 2 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

wouldn't 120fps be 1/4 speed, (i thought 30fps was 'normal'

even if 120 fps is 1/4 normal - its slow motion - can hardly call it SUPER slow motion

• Reply 3 of 26
    Not totally true I have an app that since ios 6 can not shoot 60fps anymore . Was capable of 500fps to 1000 . really cool.Yayy for ios 7!
  • Reply 4 of 26
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I dig it.

• Reply 5 of 26
    even if 120 fps is 1/4 normal - its slow motion - can hardly call it SUPER slow motion

Yep, but I'm just calling 60 the new standard.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

Quote:

Then you're wrong

• Reply 7 of 26

Quote:

ok, 

but the article is about iPhone - and that is 30fps now 

from Apple:

(Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio)

so 120fps could give us 1/4 speed slo-mo   - but its still not SUPER - slo mo - not sure why the article uses super

• Reply 8 of 26
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

That would be twice or 4 times the speed. 

• Reply 9 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

That would be twice or 4 times the speed. 

4 times the speed of recording, so its slow motion replay, or 1/4 speed replay

• Reply 10 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    allenbf wrote: »
    I dig it.

That's gross. A jogger with black earphones, yak.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

1/2 or 1/4 would make sense if you were comparing play-back speed with "real time" (there's a better term for this but it escapes me). But the two of you were comparing 120 fps against 60 and 30.

• Reply 12 of 26
    ok, 
    but the article is about iPhone - and that is 30fps now 
    from Apple: Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio)

Right, but 60 is the new standard, as per the slide from WWDC.

103% of the speed. ;)
  • Reply 13 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    philboogie wrote: »
    allenbf wrote: »
    I dig it.

That's gross. A jogger with black earphones, yak.

Here's some without earphones ;) (NSFW):

Yeah, some moments in life work better with a little slo-mo.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Marvin wrote: »

Yeah, some moments in life work better with a little slo-mo.

Oh my, it's booby time.

First link gave me a "not available on this platform" but that might be due to hitting your link on my iPad. I actually wonder if the second video is watchable in normal speed, cause all I see is the next smart watch bumper. Bumping and bumping. And then some.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

The thing is, if you can record 120fps, you can pretty easily SUPER slow it down in software without making things look blurry. 

• Reply 16 of 26
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Without the 300mm zoom and the thermal option, it's still meaningless and inadequate.

Cheers

• Reply 17 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    First link gave me a "not available on this platform" but that might be due to hitting your link on my iPad.

It loads in HTML5 ok, maybe Apple banning sexy again :(.
    I actually wonder if the second video is watchable in normal speed, cause all I see is the next smart watch bumper. Bumping and bumping. And then some.

Smart watches would be problematic for this type of thing, you'd have to pick the best arm to wear it on in advance. :D
    jakeb wrote:
    The thing is, if you can record 120fps, you can pretty easily SUPER slow it down in software without making things look blurry.

It's not so much blurriness but judder. If you shoot at 30fps and you slow it down, you only get 7.5fps, which is still as sharp as the original but not smooth playback. 120fps slowed down 4x gives you 30fps.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    studiomusicstudiomusic Posts: 653member

Meh, my camera will do 120 fps at 5k! And it only costs $25,000! ;)

• Reply 19 of 26
    How does AI get 120 fps if the Apple iOS 7 Feature Screenshot clearly shows 60 fps recording listed????

Also why is Apple always late to develop things that other smartphones already do?? It was late late to LTE, late to video recording, higher camera MP's, etc. It's already late to Wifi AC with the HTC ONE being the first to do that, Casio and Samsung already made waterproof devices and another thing they've never bothered to do is haptic feedback or keyboard and sounds in 3D according to how the gyroscope is positioned.

Apple's iPhone is lacking so far behind it's iPhone 4 can still run iOS 7 and that's a bad thing in my opinion since they've disabled 3D/Panorama/Moving Wallpapers, 3D Maps, and Siri on it since iOS 5 and it's perfectly able to with some jailbreak tweaks.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

How does AI get 120 fps if the Apple iOS 7 Feature Screenshot clearly shows 60 fps recording listed????

Also why is Apple always late to develop things that other smartphones already do?? It was late late to LTE, late to video recording, higher camera MP's, etc. It's already late to Wifi AC with the HTC ONE being the first to do that, Casio and Samsung already made waterproof devices and another thing they've never bothered to do is haptic feedback or keyboard and sounds in 3D according to how the gyroscope is positioned.

Apple's iPhone is lacking so far behind it's iPhone 4 can still run iOS 7 and that's a bad thing in my opinion since they've disabled 3D/Panorama/Moving Wallpapers, 3D Maps, and Siri on it since iOS 5 and it's perfectly able to with some jailbreak tweaks.

Apple makes decisions based on what will be used by the majority of users, versus the cost (and other effects) of including something.

LTE is the perfect example.  Sure, they could have added LTE earlier.  But it would have added cost, and at the time there was almost no real LTE coverage.  So, it would be added cost without added benefit (for almost everyone).

As to being waterproof, I've never quite understood this.  Why?  How about you just don't drop it in a toilet?  There are notebooks, for example, that are designed specifically for very harsh environments.  But that is an extremely specific use case.  You can always find something that will destroy your phone.  Apple trying to make the iPhone something you can drop in the water, drop onto the concrete, whatever -- all that will do is change the aesthetic of the iPhone, and add cost.

Again, don't do those things.

I can't tell you how much I would despise haptic feedback.