T-Mobile USA's 'Jump' program allows 2 smartphone upgrades a year for $10/month

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
T-Mobile, the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S., announced a new program on Wednesday dubbed "Jump" that allows customers to upgrade their smartphone as often as two times per year, at an added cost of $10 per month.

tmobile
Customers line up ahead of T-Mobile's iPhone 5 launch in April. Image via BTIG Research's Walter Piecyk (@piecykw)

The Jump program will allow customers to pay the same subsidized price as a new customer, but without the need to wait the industry-standard two years for upgrade eligibility. Subscribers will have to wait at least six months after enrollment, after which they will be able to upgrade their phone twice per year.

"At some point, big wireless companies made a decision for you that you should have to wait two years to get a new phone for a fair price. That's 730 days of waiting. 730 days of watching new phones come out that you can't have. Or having to live with a cracked screen or an outdated camera," said John Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile US. "We say two years is just too long to wait. Today, we're changing all that with the launch of Jump! Now, customers never have to worry about being stuck with the wrong phone."

The program will run $10 per month, per phone, plus taxes and fees. The carrier said the cost is just $2 more per month than many customers pay for handset protection.

The program requires that customers trade in an eligible T-Mobile phone in good working condition at a participating store location. For example, a user might be able to trade in their current iPhone 5 for Apple's next-generation iPhone, expected to arrive later this year, and would pay the standard subsidized rate traditionally starting at $200.

The carrier also announced on Thursday that it has expanded its 4G LTE network to 157 million people in 116 metropolitan areas in the U.S.

T-Mobile also unveiled a program that will allow families to get four phone lines with unlimited talk, text and Web and up to 500 megabytes of high-speed data for $100 per month. The plan doesn't require a credit check or annual service contract.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Interesting. For an extra $120/year you can buy a phone with subsidized pricing twice each year?
  • Reply 2 of 50
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member
    Interesting. For an extra $120/year you can buy a phone with subsidized pricing twice each year?
    That's with trading in your current phone.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    6 years after enrollment? typo in the article.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    So you pay $120 for 6 years for nothing and then of T-Mobile is still around and plans are what they are now you can upgrade twice a year? No thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

So you pay $120 for 6 years for nothing and then of T-Mobile is still around and plans are what they are now you can upgrade twice a year? No thanks.

No, you wait 6 months. AI just has poor editing as always.

• Reply 6 of 50
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    mikejones wrote: »
    No, you wait 6 months. AI just has poor editing as always.

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Fees, fees, and more fees. It adds up and makes me wonder how their pricing matches up long term.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member

If you're already paying insurance on the phone there's little or no increase, in fact some will see a decrease.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Trading in the phone is the deal breaker. Pay $10/month and lose your phone to keep upgrading, or wait two years and keep/resell your phone and save $240. This reminds me of the terrible lease deals you see on some cars.

I bet you have to keep extending your two year contract each time.
  • Reply 10 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Fees, fees, and more fees. It adds up and makes me wonder how their pricing matches up long term.

And yet even with that extra $10 a month T-Mobile's plans that include unlimited talk, text, and data (and yes that is real unlimited data without hidden caps or throttling) are still like $30 or more cheaper than the lowest tier AT&T or Verizon plans.

• Reply 11 of 50
    bleh1234 wrote: »

The fact that you have to trade in your current phone makes this a crappy "deal." A 6-12 month old iPhone would go for quite a bit of money if you sold it used on eBay or Craigslist.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    But this requires a phone in good working condition. Hardly a replacement for insurance.
  • Reply 13 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud30000 View Post

Trading in the phone is the deal breaker. Pay $10/month and lose your phone to keep upgrading, or wait two years and keep/resell your phone and save $240. This reminds me of the terrible lease deals you see on some cars.

And yet with AT&T or Verizon you've spent far more than $240 extra dollars just so they can recoup their subsidy from you in their extremely expensive plans.

• Reply 14 of 50
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

So over the course of two years I'm paying $240 for the "fee", plus $600 for the "new phones", just so I can upgrade every six months to the latest and the greatest. Unbelievable as it is, some people will actually pay for this "service".

Here's an alternative: Sell your phone every six months and buy a new one. If it's an iPhone, you can probably sell it for $200 less than its original price. In two years you're only out the $600 and save the $240 fee.

• Reply 15 of 50
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

$10/month is the "Android tax" for obtaining software updates and security fixes that are still a year out of date.

• Reply 16 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

So over the course of two years I'm paying $240 for the "fee", plus $600 for the "new phones", just so I can upgrade every six months to the latest and the greatest. Unbelievable as it is, some people will actually pay for this "service".

No, you pay $240 to pay the subsidized $99 or $199, etc. cost of the new phone.

• Reply 17 of 50
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

But this requires a phone in good working condition. Hardly a replacement for insurance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

And yet with AT&T or Verizon you've spent far more than $240 extra dollars just so they can recoup their subsidy from you in their extremely expensive plans.

You missed the point. You can stay with your two year Verizon plan and put the $240 in your own pocket by selling your Verizon phone every 6 months and buying a new one. And that's assuming you can only sell a six month old iPhone for $200 off the original purchase price. I'd guess you can do better than that.

• Reply 18 of 50
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    Think I'll stick to selling my iPhone on eBay for a nice chunk to upgrade to the newest model and pay the upgrade fee. The contract renewal doesn't bother me.
  • Reply 19 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

You missed the point. You can stay with your two year Verizon plan and put the $240 in your own pocket by selling your Verizon phone every 6 months and buying a new one. And that's assuming you can only sell a six month old iPhone for $200 off the original purchase price. I'd guess you can do better than that.

How am I keeping the $240 in my pocket when the extra costs of Verizon's plans will have me handing that back to them in a couple of months?

• Reply 20 of 50

Sacto Joe, you might want to re-read the article again:

For example, a user might be able to trade in their current iPhone 5 for Apple's next-generation iPhone, expected to arrive later this year, and would pay the standard subsidized rate traditionally starting at $200.

Where exactly did you get that someone would be paying $600 for their new phone when the article directly refutes you?