Jaguar and Windows XP direct networking?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to be able to share files with a machine running Windows XP using a crossover cable meaning that I directly link my Mac with my friend's PC.

The only thing I want to do is share files. I am really ignorant about direct networking so if anyone can give precise instructions on what I need or have to do on both machines I'd be extremely grateful.

I am currently running Jaguar 10.2.3 on an iBook 500 (dual USB)

A step by step guide would be best, if possible

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    All you need to do is enable your mac for sharing via sys prefs/sharing.

Note down the ip address it gives and then tell XP to look for shares on that IP and you should be sorted.

You can also put any shares you want into your website directory in OSX which is found in /Users/youname/sites and then access them via XP through a browser at <a href="http://youripaddress/~yourname"; target="_blank">http://youripaddress/~yourname</a>;

But you must enable personal web sharing in sys prefs.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Sorry for the ignorance, but

How do I tell XP to look for shares on that IP

Also, what do my network settings have to be? Do I set my ip there?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by stevegongrui:

<strong>Sorry for the ignorance, but

How do I tell XP to look for shares on that IP

Also, what do my network settings have to be? Do I set my ip there?</strong><hr></blockquote>

open up my computer, from the side menu to your left click on my network places or similar then setup small hoem/office network and your off.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    Ok I share files with my wife's PC laptop. I use a home network setup with a linksys router but I think the network part will be the same. You will need to set your mac to the same workgroup that the PC is on you do this thru the /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access once you open this you will need to click the little lock in the lower left corner of the screen and type in your admin password then you need to click on SMB and click configure. In the window that opens up change the workgroup to what the PC is using. Next you will need to open sharing in the system preferances (if its not in your dock click the apple and choose system preferances from the menu) You will see a list of services, find the one named Windows File Sharing and check the box next to it. You may need to log off and back in for all this to take hold. Now to see the shared folders on the PC in the finder click 'Go' and choose connect to server, wait a few seconds and you should see the PC appear in the list. Click on the name of the PC then click connect. A window will open up named SMB Mount with a drop down menu of the folders available on the PC, choose the one you want and click ok. Next you will most likely be asked for a password, this is the password that was assigned as the sharing password for the folder on the PC (a different password can be set up for each shared folder on the PC). Once you type in the password you should see an icon on your desktop, a small black and white globe sitting on a drive icon, just double click it and there ya go.

Hopefully this was helpful.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:

<strong>Assuming you are using OS X...

I can't take credit for this. I clipped it from another message board but it was very helpful. This tells how to setup sharing in both directions.

-------------------------

-On PC and Mac, make sure the workgroup names are the same.

On PC, this means Start-&gt;MyComputer-&gt;Rightclcik-&gt;Properties-&gt;Computer Name-&gt; press Change. Should be Workgroup as the workgroupname.

On Mac, Applications:Utilities launch Directory Access, click lock and enter password to admin, then click smb and configure. Make sure name is the same workgroup name as on PC.

-On Mac, System preferences:Sharing Tab. Click on Windows File Sharing

-On PC: Make sure you have atleast one folder shared.

-To mount PC share on the Mac:Go menu, Connect to Server. If the PC shows up great, just click it. If not, enter the IP as smb://IP_Adress/sharename. Enter userid and password and you are set

-To mount Mac shares on the PC:Start-&gt;My Network Places, Click Add Network Place. Click Next a few times, till you see a Browse button, click browse, expand Entire Network object until you see the Mac name there.

Both the Mac and the PC have to have folders shared inorder to share.

If either computer can't 'see' the other:

-check cables

-check workgroup names

-ensure folders are shared

-pick up XP box and heave it out the Window.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I am also a little curious about. There is a specific directory I want to share on my TiBook. I don't want to share my entire home drive. Is there a way to just share a specific folder?

What I am trying to do is share some work I have done at home with a couple guys at work. I want them to just see folder with what I need them to see.

Any help would be great.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by foad:

<strong>I am also a little curious about. There is a specific directory I want to share on my TiBook. I don't want to share my entire home drive. Is there a way to just share a specific folder?

What I am trying to do is share some work I have done at home with a couple guys at work. I want them to just see folder with what I need them to see.

Any help would be great.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you choice is to make that directory you public directory. Users logging onto your Jag machine through file sharing will have access only to their own dir I believe, and also any public dirs for other users.

On a side note: That posting that Wagnerite has posted a few times in OSX-XP networking threads was instructions I wrote here quite a while ago. Glad to see it getting reused. Surprised to see that it was picked up at another messge board and reposted here again.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    good instruction shouldn't go to waste, Tulkas
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Also,

how do I get my mac to be displayed in network neighborhood on a windows network?

I can see the others but they can't see me.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by stevegongrui:

<strong>Also,

how do I get my mac to be displayed in network neighborhood on a windows network?

I can see the others but they can't see me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think they have to mnually mount your share.

<strong>-To mount Mac shares on the PC:Start-&gt;My Network Places, Click Add Network Place. Click Next a few times, till you see a Browse button, click browse, expand Entire Network object until you see the Mac name there.</strong>
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Or you could buy a USB zip drive, save time and hassle and also have a neat little back up device