Help needed creating a QuickTime movie with the new Canon T5i camera in iMovie 9.0.9

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Help needed creating a QuickTime movie with the new Canon T5i  camera in iMovie 9.0.9.  The project is done and looks good...I need help understanding what settings need to be set so I can make a QuickTime movie in the highest quality that would fit the ratio of 16.9 to be sent out to my YouTube page.  I played around with some of the settings and have not come with the right setting for the video.  I want the highest quality with the lowest amount of megabytes…thanks 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    You don't have to use 1080p for Youtube. 720p should be ok and will help you lower the bitrate but maintain the quality. You can probably get away with 2Mbps (~250kbytes for every second of footage) for 720p if you want to bring the size of the file down. The end size depends a lot on the length of the video but also the compressor you use. Apple's H.264 compressor sucks. Handbrake's (x264) is much better. Ideally you'd export uncompressed 8-bit 720p and then use Handbrake to shrink it down but uncompressed is huge (Handbrake doesn't support ProRes) so you can get away with exporting as the highest possible H.264 from iMovie (e.g 50Mbps (50,000kbps) video, 256k audio) and then run that through Handbrake using the variable quality slider and set it to around 20. If it comes out too high, push the slider down until you get a suitable bitrate that works. You can test on small amounts of footage to get the workflow right and then do the large export.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member

Thanks... I have never used anything but the actual program within QuickTime on my Mac. So that program you speak of a free one to download or does it cost...

So I stayed with the QuickTime on the mac, that I would change this set 720 P and do I change the frame rate or anything else?.  where would I chang all this...

Forgive me as I am new to this as I expected the new canon T5i would work in a default...not the case...

really confused...

• Reply 3 of 10
    dmfett wrote: »
    Thanks... I have never used anything but the actual program within QuickTime on my Mac. So that program you speak of a free one to download or does it cost...

Handbrake is free here:

http://handbrake.fr
    So I stayed with the QuickTime on the mac, that I would change this set 720 P and do I change the frame rate or anything else?.  where would I chang all this...

Don't change the framerate. You'd just use share > export using quicktime and then choose movie to mpeg-4. There you'd choose MP4 (not isma), H264, 50000 bitrate, 720p frame size and same framerate. In audio, make sure it's stereo, 256k or higher. It'll save an MP4. That will be quite a large version.

You can upload that to Youtube if you like but it might take a while, which is why I suspect you want the smallest file size so you'd use Handbrake on this MP4 files and just run the quality slider down to get a good size. Like I say, experiment on a smaller clip first so you aren't wasting a lot of time getting the right settings.
  • Reply 4 of 10

Thanks...downloaded the handbrake and it did not work once I downloaded...will try it again later...

Kind of lost on the following steps...H264, 50000 bitrate, 720p frame size and same framerate. In audio, make sure it's stereo, 256k or higher. It'll save an MP4. That will be quite a large version.

where do I put 50000 bitrate and the 720p

my video needing to be up is 6:30 min long...

Got lost...

• Reply 5 of 10
    where do I put <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">50000 bitrate and the 720p</span>? 

Click options in the dialog.
  • Reply 6 of 10

Could not figure this one out....

also when I downloaded the Handbrake it gives me a box saying it was from the internet and I pressed ok and it goes away...so it looks like it will not work...

Going to HD has been such a pain to make movies...

I also tried sending it from iMovie to YouTube to no avail...

• Reply 7 of 10
    when I downloaded the Handbrake it gives me a box saying it was from the internet and I pressed ok and it goes away...so it looks like it will not work...

Do you perhaps have Gatekeeper set to not run apps not downloaded from the App Store in system prefs > security?
    Going to HD has been such a pain to make movies...

There are some upsides like not dealing with interlacing, anamorphic formats, tapes.
    I also tried sending it from iMovie to YouTube to no avail...

Are you able to get a file out of share > export using quicktime? If so, you can lower the bitrate from 50000 to get a smaller file and just upload that to Youtube. Quicktime will compress at 4Mbits ok. Your 6.5 minute file would come out around 180MB. That can take a while on a slower connection.
  • Reply 8 of 10

First off thank you so very much for taking the time to help me with this issue. It's very much appreciated.

The good news is sharing from iMovie to QuickTime worked perfectly.

So the issue is the files are just so big it would take 4 to 5 hours of downloaded 6 1/2 minute clip to YouTube by way of a QuickTime file.  The quality of these files are stunning and perfect unlike non-HD videos I submitted in the past several years to YouTube.

I tried to upload directly by sharing from iMovie to YouTube and after about 10 minutes I got the following message, Communication error. An error occurred during communication with the server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet. And try again.

I have high-speed Internet so that should be a problem uploading files.

I spent the day and a half on this to no avail. However I'm never giving up.

I cannot find the place to change bitrate from 50000 to get a smaller file...

I was alright on your instructions until I got that part and then I got lost.

• Reply 9 of 10
    I cannot find the place to change <span style="color:rgb(69,68,52);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;">bitrate from 50000 to get a smaller file...</span>

There's a video here to use as a reference:

[VIDEO]

After going into share > export using quicktime, change the export drop-down shown in the video at 0:23 to Movie to MPEG-4 and hit options.

Set File Format at the top to MP4 and set video format to H.264. If you aren't using Handbrake, set data rate to 4000, image size 720p, current framerate. In the audio tab, make sure the channels are stereo and the data rate 256kbps.

Then hit ok and export the file.
  • Reply 10 of 10

Thanks as it helps lots...took some time off as I was at this for 2 days...what you provided will help....will do it in the morning and report how well it went...thanks again