Best Buy offering $200 gift cards for iPad trade-ins in two-day promotion

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Best Buy on Thursday announced that it will be initiating a trade-in program on Friday, offering gift cards worth at least $200 for working iPad 2 and third-generation iPad models.

iPad

The deal, which runs from Friday to Saturday, will allow customers can bring in their old iPads to trade in for $200, which can be put toward the purchase of the latest version of Apple's tablet, reports CNET. Best Buy's current price for a 16GB iPad is $499.99, meaning trade-in customers would pay $299.99 after applying the gift card.

The big-box electronics retailer said that, depending on the model and condition, some iPads may fetch even more than the base $200, though the company did not specify how much higher it would go for pristine examples.

While customers must visit brick-and-mortar Best Buy locations that accept trade-ins to take advantage of the offer, the gift cards can be used both in-store or online. The company said it will recycle the tablets.

Best Buy said the success of its iPhone trade-in promotion in June prompted the company to make a similar offering with the iPad. The limited-time iPhone promotion was the company's biggest day for trade-ins on record.

For readers who may not live near Best Buy, or those who are interested in other, potentially better options, the AppleInsider Trade-In Guide features exclusive promotions to trade in your old Apple gear. Trade-in partners such as Gazelle, Amazon and NextWorth even go beyond iPads, and will accept your used iPhones or MacBooks for cash.

Trade-in

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mutoneonmutoneon Posts: 51member
    Or take less than 5 minutes and sell it on Amazon for $278 that you can spend anywhere.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    Why would you do this when you can sell it outright for at least $300????
  • Reply 3 of 15
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    If it was for the 1st gen id be tempted..
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

Why would you do this when you can sell it outright for at least $300????

We are talking about people who shop at Best Buy. They will trade in AND buy an extended warranty plus some Monster cables.

• Reply 5 of 15

I find it amazing how some commenters say you can sell your device for more money than a store would offer in trade.  Duh, that's how trade ins work.  Store take in the trade, then turns around and re-sells the item for a profit.

For those not set up to sell items online, it's not worth the hassle to do it.

People trade in cars ALL the time, and get far less for the trade than the car sells for to the next buyer.  Why should electronics be any different?

• Reply 6 of 15
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Or sell it to a buddy or family member - even for less than $200 - of gift it to someone. 

I might be tempted if it were for the original iPad - but then my grand daughter has so much fun with it and at this point I am not overly concerned if she breaks it. Of course, I just replaced the digitizer on my niece's iPad 2 for $30 so if it does get broken I can likely fix it at a fraction of the cost to replace. 

• Reply 7 of 15
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Yeah... I'm just going to give my iPad 3 to my dad when I buy a new one.
  • Reply 8 of 15

LOL.

Best Buys lowball trade-in offer is still more than what you'd ever get for some Android tablet.

• Reply 9 of 15
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

LOL.

Best Buys lowball trade-in offer is still more than what you'd ever get for some Android tablet.

Never miss an opportunity to bash the competition, whether it is relevant to the conversation or not. Good little fanboy. Who's a product of corporate brainwashing? You are. Yes you are. Yes you are :-)

• Reply 10 of 15
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

LOL.

I ony paid $200. for my BlackBerry Playbook.  I'd love to dump it for even $100 on an iPad mini.

But no way wife would trade in her iPad2, it serves her very well.

• Reply 11 of 15
    adybadyb Posts: 205member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Never miss an opportunity to bash the competition, whether it is relevant to the conversation or not. Good little fanboy. Who's a product of corporate brainwashing? You are. Yes you are. Yes you are :-)

Doesn't seem too irrelevant to me as his comment followed on from an article commenting on trade in values for used iPads. 

Is it irrelevant to open the conversation & ask how other tablets would fare?

• Reply 12 of 15
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    adyb wrote: »
    cash907 wrote: »

Doesn't seem too irrelevant to me a[SIZE=10pt]s his comment followed on from an article commenting on trade in values for used iPads. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Is it irrelevant to open the conversation & ask how other tablets would fare?[/SIZE]

Indeed, I was wondering the same thing. How DO the other tablets fare?
  • Reply 13 of 15

I have a 16GB Wifi iPad2 and I would be lucky to get much more than $200 for it especially without the hassel of selling it on CL or Ebay.  Gazelle will give me $175 for a flawless condition iPad2 like mine.  $200 seems pretty good.

• Reply 14 of 15

I agree.  While I could probably do slightly better, the ~$10 more I might get from elsewhere isn't worth the hassle.

My wife has my hand-me-down iPad 2, which she loves it but would prefer if  it was the cellular model.  We're going to trade the iPad2 for an iPad4 w/Cellular.

• Reply 15 of 15
    Indeed, I went by my local Best Buy Store and for a pristine iPad 2, 64 GB, wifi 3g, in original box, all they would offer was $190... better it seems to sell it on eBay or Amazon!!!