New Deux Ex game for iOS hobbles gameplay if device is jailbroken

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    tapetape Posts: 47member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The number one reason for jailbreaking today remains the downloading of stolen copies of games

Citation needed.

• Reply 22 of 81
    frxntierfrxntier Posts: 97member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Not true.  Jailbreaking is illegal if you jailbreak for purposes that are themselves illegal.

Not true. Jailbreaking is not illegal.

What you just said is akin to, 'it's illegal to own a car if the sole purpose of that car is to assist with bank robberies.' The logic doesn't fly.

There are so many innocent and good reasons people JB. This is poor form from the developer.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    ichaseichase Posts: 7member
    This is idiotic. Instead pirates can just pirate the game and avoid the developer's crippling measures. In fact, I'd say this encourages piracy rather than combats it.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    What I'd like to know, as a developer myself, is how they detect that the device is jailbroken.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totems View Post

No doubt to be patched or quick fixed by some member of the jailbreak community. I don't really agree with removing features because of a jailbroken host. If the user has legitimately paid for the game, jailbroken or not, the game should just work. Piracy is another issue altogether.

Basically, just because one chooses to jailbreak their phone, that does not mean by default that they're a piracy advocate in anyway.

No, but it is the first step to piracy.

If you want to experiment with having things your own way, make your own game.

• Reply 26 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

Not true. Jailbreaking is not illegal.

What you just said is akin to, 'it's illegal to own a car if the sole purpose of that car is to assist with bank robberies.' The logic doesn't fly.

There are so many innocent and good reasons people JB. This is poor form from the developer.

It voids the warranty, for example if Samsung detects the wrong binaries on a Galaxy they will void the warranty.

• Reply 27 of 81
    droidftw wrote: »
    What a load of crap.  DRM that screws paying customers should not be supported.

Apple is pretty good about refunds in the App Store. If anyone paid for this app and couldn't run it on their jail broken iOS device, just ask for a refund. I agree that no paying customer should get screwed.
  • Reply 28 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Do you have any data to back up that claim? I've jailbroken my iPhone in the past to use a tethering app but I have no idea about other people's behavior. 

So you chose the wrong carrier.

My carrier allowed tethering since day one when I updated iOS on my old iPhone 3G.

• Reply 29 of 81
    rain wrote: »
    and the garden gets smaller and smaller...

Nope, number of quality app titles worth paying for is growing. It's a sustainable app economy, not a magnet for malware and content piracy. So much for your "smaller and smaller theory."
  • Reply 30 of 81
    milfordmilford Posts: 26member

Quote:

Not true.  Jailbreaking is illegal if you jailbreak for purposes that are themselves illegal. 

This is not how the law works.

• Reply 31 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Just checked, the App Store does not tell in the description that it will not play fully on a Jailbroken Device.

• Reply 32 of 81
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I wish to God they would do this for Modern War by Gree. It is consistently on the top 10 money earners for both the Apple and Google play stores for revenue. This game is over run with hackers that are able to use a hack on jailbroken iPhones and on rooted Android phones. For anyone here that is a Modern War addict like me I am sure you have run across guys with a 8 million A/D score with hundreds of limited edition units at 10,000 attack scores each in their inventory. I hope this does catch on since hackers destroy the fun in games. 

• Reply 33 of 81
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    There are other ways to do this instead of punishing paying customers that want
    To add some features to the phone that apple choses to leave out and then finally
    Releases some features years later. Look at copy & paste, how long did that take?
    MMS, multitasking/backgrounder, more then a few icons in a folder.
    Anyway, there were plenty of apps that had a block built in if the app was pirated.
    Don't know how they do it, I'm no app dev but they're out there so why do they have
    To go about it this way sucks. Keep your game.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    frxntierfrxntier Posts: 97member
    hill60 wrote: »
    It voids the warranty, for example if Samsung detects the wrong binaries on a Galaxy they will void the warranty.
    That doesn't mean it's illegal.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Are many game studios planning to cease development for Mac and PC because those platforms let one install programs from any source?

• Reply 36 of 81
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    No notice is necessary. Everyone knows you jailbreak at your own risk. You can't go whine because you've cracked something not intended to be cracked, then can't run something that was never designed to run on a cracked device.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

This really isn't anything new and it's a very terrible idea for developers to do this.  

The facts that people tend to miss here are that:

1) You don't have to jailbreak to pirate apps on an iOS device.  You've never had to.

2) Jailbreaking does not equal piracy.

Sure, some jailbreakers pirate, and @d4NjvRzf brings up a good point, sideloading apps has always been possible on Macs and PCs, are Mac and PC users nothing but pirates?

So these developers have done what many others have done with DRM, they punish the paying customers.  That's very foolish.

Think about it.  You jailbreak your iOS device and regardless of whether or not you've pirated apps, you've decided to buy this particular app, and now it won't play.  What do you do?  The options are:

1) Forget about the app and the money you spent on it (maybe get a refund).

2) Unjailbreak (restore) your iOS device and reload the game (giving up everything you jailbroke your device for).

3) Pirate the game.

See, it's #3 that gets you.  This happens every time... if you don't sell an app or content in a way that people want to buy it, you provide incentive for people to pirate it.

Jailbroken or not jailbroken, this game can be pirated, and like all the other apps that have tried these shenanigans before it, it can be cracked to run on jailbroken devices.

So congratulations developers, you've lowered your app store rating, pissed off customers, and have actually boosted the incentive to pirate your game all while doing absolutely nothing to prevent anyone from pirating the game.

• Reply 38 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I wish to God they would do this for Modern War by Gree. It is consistently on the top 10 money earners for both the Apple and Google play stores for revenue. This game is over run with hackers that are able to use a hack on jailbroken iPhones and on rooted Android phones. For anyone here that is a Modern War addict like me I am sure you have run across guys with a 8 million A/D score with hundreds of limited edition units at 10,000 attack scores each in their inventory. I hope this does catch on since hackers destroy the fun in games. 

You don't need to jailbreak your iOS device to do this.  And developers should encrypt "coins", "achievements" and other things people can cheat with instead of having them easily editable even on non-jailbroken iOS devices.

• Reply 39 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple is pretty good about refunds in the App Store. If anyone paid for this app and couldn't run it on their jail broken iOS device, just ask for a refund. I agree that no paying customer should get screwed.

As much as I'm pro-jailbreaking, I don't think Apple should refund money for this.  We jailbreak, we're on our own.  There have been plenty of other apps that have done this, and they've all been cracked by xCon and others.  For those who are unaware, this is a tweak that fools apps that you have purchased into thinking they are running on a device that hasn't been jailbroken.  It doesn't assist in piracy.

• Reply 40 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Some Android users are upset that they can't play it yet:

http://kotaku.com/sorry-console-pc-gamers-but-the-mobile-deus-ex-is-damn-736609646

"No need to apologize to us, they'll be more than sorry for all of us when they see the sales numbers. Deus Ex isn't big enough to be a big mover on a limited platform. MAYBE if it was on Android, Windows Phone, Vita and or 3DS."

"It's coming to Andriod devices "soon", if you'll care to take a look at the end of the article."

"That's actually my bad. it was originally announced as only an iPhone game. I guess we'll see then. It might not do too badly then. I just couldn't see it doing very well on just one mobile market vs. The majority of the market (Android and Apple combined.)"

Yeah, it'll do much better in sales once it reaches all those laggy Android devices in about 6 months once they get it to work properly on all the different models and then just end up supporting the Samsung Galaxy. It's funny how the Android crowd is sort of like the Windows crowd but this time round, they bitch about Apple because they're the only one getting good software support. It used to be Windows users put down Apple's computers because of a lack of software support.

They haven't even said a timeframe for the Android version. It would be funny if they end up cancelling their plans to port it over like many developers before them. The internet rage will be unbearable. Funny though.

Android fans shouldn't fret. They've vocal in complaining when iOS gets game publishers' love, but that's a normal state of affairs for them. You might as well buy an OUYA and complain it's not getting BioShock Infinite.

In the mean time, they can post lists of elite hardware specs. I never get tired of that. And by that, I mean it warms my heart when that's their fallback position.