X11 question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
sorry, bit of an odd question but hopefully someone will know...

i've got X11 running and its great (even using OpenOffice as my way of sticking 2 fingers up at M$)

where i work we have a linux webserver, and i want to be able to display the XWindows environment of the webserver on my mac. I know you can do this be using the display command, but not sure how...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Don't know if its the same but at work for AIX I have to export DISPLAY=IPADDR

Wonder if it will work?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    thats what i'm talking about!

its something like what you said but not quite it (cheers for the tip anyway)

do i need to log-in to the remote machine, then export the display back to mine?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    yeah that should work. i always have to log in then:

export DISPLAY=IPADDR:0

not sure why the zero is required?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    [quote]Originally posted by trailmaster308:

<strong>yeah that should work. i always have to log in then:

export DISPLAY=IPADDR:0

not sure why the zero is required?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, thats it! bit it doesn't seem to work. nevermind i'll kepp trying...

thanks
  • Reply 5 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    the format for a DISPLAY variable is generally ip:number. the number differentiates different simultaneous views. the decimal point sometimes differentiates one monitor from another. if 'export DISPLAY=ip:no' doesn't work for u, it might be your shell. if ur on csh. or tcsh, you have to do 'setenv DISPLAY ip:no'.

also, this wont really let you see the webserver. instead, any programs you run on your computer that use X11 will not show up locally, but instead on that other x11 server.

if u want to see the webserver from afar, it'd probably be easiest to set up a vnc server. its a pretty simple install, and comes with many *nixes. on the webserver try: vncserver. it'll tell u what display u just opened up. to kill that server do 'vncserver -kill isplay'. now, on your mac get a vnc client (free on the net and fink has one). the vnc to connect to is ip:number (the number you get from 'vncserver'). another thing you could do is alter the startup scripts on the webserver to change the DISPLAY variable to your ip (colon 0.0). Then any x11s that it tries to do will be redirected to you.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    ssh -X webserver

Then any apps that you start on the server will display locally.