Latest Retina iPad mini rumor says Apple eyeing early 2014 launch

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's iPad mini may not gain a high-resolution Retina display until early next year, if the latest rumor about the second-generation 7.9-inch tablet proves accurate.

iPad mini

The claim was published on Friday by China's Economic Daily News, which said that though Apple originally planned to launch a Retina iPad mini this fall, it may be delayed until the first quarter of 2014. As such, the rumor suggests that a second-generation iPad mini will not launch this year.

It's expected that a Retina display on the iPad mini would follow the same double-resolution approach used by Apple in existing devices like the iPhone and full-size iPad. That would mean the iPad mini's 7.9-inch display would need to pack in the same 3.1 million pixels into a panel nearly two inches smaller in diameter.

The latest report comes on the heels of a separate rumor out of the Far East from earlier this week which claimed Apple plans to launch a new fifth-generation, full-size iPad in September. That report claimed that the features of a second-generation iPad mini, such as a Retina display, remain in flux at Apple.

Reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said in April that Apple was experiencing yield issues in manufacturing high-resolution screens for its next iPad mini. He suggested that production issues would push back the launch of the second-generation tablet, but at the time he believed it would still launch this October.

The first-generation iPad mini debuted last October with a screen resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels. That matches the resolution of the first-generation iPad and iPad 2, but packs the pixels into a smaller space, giving the display a higher pixel density.

Still, the iPad mini display squeezes in only 163 pixels per inch ? an improvement on the 132 pixels per inch found on the first two iPad releases, but still well below the 264-pixel-per-inch density of the third- and fourth-generation iPads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    These rumors are all over the place, not sure what to believe at this point. Though I do think it could be bad news if we don't get a retina mini until 2014. Rumors are the new Fires and Nexus tablets are going to have improved screens so it will be hard for Apple to sell the non retina mini unless they reduce the price, IMO.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Diameter? Probably better to measure in square inches and area.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    whodawhoda Posts: 29member
    People only have a finite amount of money to spend on gadgets. I think releasing a new version of every gadget they have within a few months is stupid. For example, I want a new 5S and a new 5G iPad, but if they come out at the same time, or even within a month or two of each other, I won't have the cash for both. If they are more spread out, people will be more willing to buy multiple gadgets. I'm sure they didn't want to hold everything until the end of the year, sometimes stuff happens, but if they can hold out until 2014, I may just add one of those to my want list as well.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Apple does seem to have trouble with production quantities of its newer technologies. Invest some of that cash hoard to improve their yields.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is a rumor it something to be believed or disbelieved. I find it perplexing that anybody attaches weight to any of these sorts of reports.
    rogifan wrote: »
    These rumors are all over the place, not sure what to believe at this point. Though I do think it could be bad news if we don't get a retina mini until 2014. Rumors are the new Fires and Nexus tablets are going to have improved screens so it will be hard for Apple to sell the non retina mini unless they reduce the price, IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 29

Another flunky that has become a "reporter".
  • Reply 7 of 29
    What's the reason why Apple always needs to double the resolution instead of increasing it less drastically like Android phone makers did when they went from 480 to 720 to 1080 resolution?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    This is so much nonsense as to be a waste of bits. Nobody HAS to buy a device the day it comes out.
    whoda wrote: »
    People only have a finite amount of money to spend on gadgets. I think releasing a new version of every gadget they have within a few months is stupid.
    Or your mentality here could be an example of stupid. What rational do you have for needing an Apple product the day it comes out?
    For example, I want a new 5S and a new 5G iPad, but if they come out at the same time, or even within a month or two of each other, I won't have the cash for both.
    If either of those items where anymore that a prop for your personality you would have budgeted for them already.
    If they are more spread out, people will be more willing to buy multiple gadgets. I'm sure they didn't want to hold everything until the end of the year, sometimes stuff happens, but if they can hold out until 2014, I may just add one of those to my want list as well.

Which makes no sense at all. The products arrival date has nothing to do with wanting or needing it.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    captain j wrote: »
    Apple does seem to have trouble with production quantities of its newer technologies. Invest some of that cash hoard to improve their yields.

Which is exactly what they have been doing. However, money can't buy machines that don't exist, for example. There are real constraints we don't have any idea about. Suppose, for example, that they are still lining up supplies of indium for IGZO.

Point is, money can't buy what isn't there.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeyPheps View Post

• Reply 11 of 29
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

I don't think it will be such a bad thing if the new Mini is delayed.

The new full sized iPad comes out with a Mini-style design this fall, and that needs some time in the spotlight to itself. I think it could provide halo for the Mini this holiday season.

People will see the ads for the new full size iPad go to an Apple store or electronic store and maybe find that the Mini size works for them better.

No need to release a major redesign of both at the same time.
    whoda wrote: »
    People only have a finite amount of money to spend on gadgets. I think releasing a new version of every gadget they have within a few months is stupid. For example, I want a new 5S and a new 5G iPad, but if they come out at the same time, or even within a month or two of each other, I won't have the cash for both. If they are more spread out, people will be more willing to buy multiple gadgets. I'm sure they didn't want to hold everything until the end of the year, sometimes stuff happens, but if they can hold out until 2014, I may just add one of those to my want list as well.

Exactly. That's the wisdom in Apple spacing out the releases.

Spacing everything out keeps Apple in the spotlight throughout the year with new product and it increases impulse buying habits for their products.
  • Reply 12 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The iPad (full size and mini) is still dominating all tablet sales. I don't think delaying the mini to get it right will hurt Apple. I can't wait for a 64GB retina mini myself.

• Reply 13 of 29
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Argh, hope that isn't accurate. I love my iPad 3 but I am waiting for a retina iPad mini before buying another tablet.

Was hoping this fall so I can give the iPad 3 to my daughter for school.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

I agree, especially during the holidays. Nexus 7 HD at the rumored $229 or iPad mini, no retina, at $329? Most people will go for the cheaper but higher spec'd option.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    What's the reason why Apple always needs to double the resolution instead of increasing it less drastically like Android phone makers did when they went from 480 to 720 to 1080 resolution?

Because unlike Android, Apple has a organized and successful development community, and line of products. Android devices don't even keep the OS in line.

Doubling the horizontal and vertical pixels across the same physical space is the ONLY way to create a seamless transition. On day 1, without a single App updated for Retina display, all apps are fully compatible and display as normal (when launching a NEW resolution).

In the case of iPad mini, It entered a space where were already hundreds of thousands of apps written for its 1024 x 768 display. When it finally goes Retina, there will likewise already be hundreds of thousands of Apps that look pristine on it (because they've been released for the other Retina iPad).

There is no "slight" increase for resolution...unless the physical screen changes size...which it won't.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    allenbf wrote: »
    I agree, especially during the holidays. Nexus 7 HD at the rumored $229 or iPad mini, no retina, at $329? Most people will go for the cheaper but higher spec'd option.

I don't think this is even remotely a concern.

What I see Apple doing is:

1. iPad 5 w/ new mini-eqsue design, lighter, thinner, blazing fast A6X or A7 processor/graphics, same great 10 hour battery life.
    2. Spec-bump iPad mini at the same time with an A6, improved camera & wireless, and lower the price slightly to $299.
    3. ---Discontinue the iPad 2---

Then, in early 2014, launch an iPad mini w/ Retina display as a major new product.

I don't see it as advantageous for Apple to release a brand new re-designed flagship iPad at the same time as a major upgrade to iPad mini.

Honestly I don't think anyone who buys the current mini even cares about Retina display at all. A small, small fraction. People buy it for its physical size and (relatively) low cost.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    allenbf wrote: »
    Argh, hope that isn't accurate. I love my iPad 3 but I am waiting for a retina iPad mini before buying another tablet.

Was hoping this fall so I can give the iPad 3 to my daughter for school.

Don't count on it. Not only is Apple not quite there yet with the product, but it makes very, very little sense for them to launch a Retina mini anywhere near the launch of the 5th generation iPad.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    pmz wrote: »
    I don't think this is even remotely a concern.

What I see Apple doing is:

1. iPad 5 w/ new mini-eqsue design, lighter, thinner, blazing fast A6X or A7 processor/graphics, same great 10 hour battery life.
    2. Spec-bump iPad mini at the same time with an A6, improved camera & wireless, and lower the price slightly to $299.
    3. ---Discontinue the iPad 2---

Then, in early 2014, launch an iPad mini w/ Retina display as a major new product.

I don't see it as advantageous for Apple to release a brand new re-designed flagship iPad at the same time as a major upgrade to iPad mini.

Honestly I don't think anyone who buys the current mini even cares about Retina display at all. A small, small fraction. People buy it for its physical size and (relatively) low cost.

And combine that with the launch of the iPhone 5S and likely launch of the budget iPhone all at the same time as well as iOS 7 and who knows what else!

This is already going to be a packed product launching season. If a retina Mini were introduced itd get lost amidst the buzz of all the other new products.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

It is good to have product launches a bit more staggered throughout the year. It seems like in the last year or two you have a lot of Mac and iOS devices all released within a few months and then many other months of the year there is nothing. It would be good to have a new launch of a product every quarter at least. If they ever decide to do a more affordable iPhone, keep the current one, and also add a larger one as well I think it would also make sense to launch them about 4 months apart to keep up the excitement all year round. Or at least release the two  4" models at the same time and a larger one maybe 6 months later. 

• Reply 20 of 29
    blackbook wrote: »
    And combine that with the launch of the iPhone 5S and likely launch of the budget iPhone all at the same time as well as iOS 7 and who knows what else!

This is already going to be a packed product launching season. If a retina Mini were introduced itd get lost amidst the buzz of all the other new products.

All valid points, all are pretty much guaranteed. More than enough reason not to expect an iPad mini w/ Retina display in 2013.