Infinity Blade: Dungeons axed, Worms 3 an iOS exclusive, KOTOR 50% off

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
While mobile gamers won't get to play the now-canceled "Infinity Blade: Dungeons," the upcoming "Worms 3" will be an iOS exclusive, and classic Star Wars title "Knights of the Old Republic" is now available for half off.

Chair Entertainment co-founder Donald Mustard confirmed Infinity Blade: Dungeons' cancelation in the Epic Games podcast this week. Work on the title actually ceased back in February, when developer Impossible Studios shut down.

First shown off alongside the third-generation iPad with Retina display, Infinity Blade: Dungeons was to be a hack-and-slash spin-off of the successful Infinity Blade series. Whereas the first game and its sequel were more focused on single-opponent combat, Dungeons was to be more of a dungeon crawler, while retaining the the "Fruit Ninja with swords" gameplay and aesthetic that made the first two popular.

Fans of the series should not despair, though, as Mustard confirmed that the Infinity Blade franchise will continue. Mustard promises more games, books, and "maybe even other products" are in the offing for what Epic has described as "the most profitable game we've ever made."

Worms 3 to blow up iOS devices in Q3 2013

Lovers of artillery strategy games, iPads, and worms will be glad to know that all three are coming together this fall, as Team17 has announced that Worms 3 will land on iOS devices exclusively in the third quarter of this year. The turn-based earthworm strategy game has its origins in the mid-1990s, and it has seen a wide range of sequels in the years since.

Worms 3 will feature online asynchronous multiplayer competition as well as a local Pass N Play multiplayer mode. It will also have multiplayer Forts and Deathmatch modes. Players will also be able to make their way through 27 single-player missions with Beach, Spooky, Farmyard, and Sewer themes.

Team17 gave no indication when the next installment of the Worms series would be available or how it would be priced.

KOTOR celebrates 10-year anniversary, goes half-off

Knights of the Old Republic, a single-player Star Wars RPG, is turning 10 years old on Monday, and BioWare, the game's developer, is celebrating that fact by offering the iOS version of the game available for 50 percent off. iPad Padawans with at least 2.5 gigabytes of storage and an iPad 2 can pick up the celebrated RPG for just $5 during the promotion. KOTOR requires iOS 6.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Worms 3 should be the perfect game for a touch screen interface (unlike Deus Ex). I hope it sells millions of copies.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    KOTOR is pretty awesome on the iPad and well worth $5.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Oh man I love Worms. Been playing it ever since high school in the mid to late 90s. I remember the days using Autocad R13 in my drafting class and rushing to finish my work because the teacher would let us have Worms battles in class on the computers if all of our work was complete ;)

I've been hooked ever since.

• Reply 4 of 9
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Oh man I love Worms. Been playing it ever since high school in the mid to late 90s. I remember the days using Autocad R13 in my drafting class and rushing to finish my work because the teacher would let us have Worms battles in class on the computers if all of our work was complete ;)

I've been hooked ever since.

Yes me and my friends had many lols playing Worms in the 90s on 16-bit machines. It was the Angry Birds of it's day.

• Reply 5 of 9
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Love Worms! Excited to get it on iOS. My only worry is that after buying the game, there will be more in-app purchases for extra weapons. I prefer games that are pay once for everything
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gordiogordio Posts: 69member

I know why Dungeons was cancelled.  They're making a TON of money off IB2, even though they don't do any work!  Why spend all this time on a thorough single player campaign when IB2 practically brings in cash autonomously.

I quit playing IB2 like last year, and I thought I was late.  And believe me, it took a while before I got bored.  I played that app more than any other app ever and hesitated for weeks before finally deleting it.  Despite this, I can't believe some people are still not bored of this game yet!  And throwing their hard earned cash into their virtual assets.

• Reply 7 of 9
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chair Entertainment co-founder Donald Mustard confirmed Infinity Blade: Dungeons' cancelation in the Epic Games podcast this week. Work on the title actually ceased back in February, when developer Impossible Studios shut down.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! 

WHY GOD?!?! WHY?!!!!11!  WHY DO ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG?!?1!!!!!?!?

As for Worms, totally worth the asking price so I can tell everyone my iPhone has worms.

• Reply 8 of 9
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! 

WHY GOD?!?! WHY?!!!!11!  WHY DO ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG?!?1!!!!!?!?

As for Worms, totally worth the asking price so I can tell everyone my iPhone has worms.

imo IF dungeons was very promising, too bad they had to cancel it.  There is not a lot of real gamer material on iOS, this was one of few "real" games out there. Hopefully if Apple makes something great with game control API and if they do release an app store on the Apple TV to compete in the console gaming, we will have better games than hello kitty, candy crush or Angry birds on iOS.

• Reply 9 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    herbapou wrote: »
    imo IF dungeons was very promising, too bad they had to cancel it.  There is not a lot of real gamer material on iOS, this was one of few "real" games out there.

The 3rd Infinity Blade was done by a different studio (Impossible Studios) than the first two, which were done by Chair Entertainment. The new team didn't work out for some reason so they let them go after about 6 months:

http://epicgames.com/community/2013/02/a-message-from-tim-sweeney/

The people at Chair plan to do some more things with the series:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/07/11/infinity-blade-dungeons-is-officially-cancelled

iOS is in the best position for AAA gaming (which may explain the many exclusives it gets) due to the nature of the platform with the controlled eco-system, very few device variations needing support as well as the fact that they ship more flagship devices than any other manufacturer so they have more users on capable hardware. It's about as close to a console eco-system as mobile devices can get.

Epic's Unreal 4 will reach mobile platforms:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/29/epic-games-extends-unreal-engine-4-to-mobile-games-creates-an-eye-popping-demo/

Given that the next iOS devices will rival last-gen consoles, it'll be possible to port much higher-end games over. I expect we'll see GTA IV on the next iPad.