Square Enix changes stance, will remove 'Deus Ex: The Fall' jailbreak restriction

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tbell wrote: »

That was pretty much what I was saying. There is just no way of knowing how many pirated copies of software equate to a lost sale. Some people were not going to buy it anyway, some people once they downloaded the software never use it (they are just collecting software), some people try software once (hate the software, and discard it), and some studies have suggested pirating actually increases sales of software (people pirate the software to see if they like it, and if they do buy it). 

My main point was people like to start from the unvalidated premise that pirating software is causing significant harm to content providers. 

Arguing that the loss of revenue is uncertain is not really relevant.

The fact is that it's still stolen property and the people who pirate the software have no right to it. If I own something, I have the right to control it and keep people from stealing it - even if they were not going to pay me money under any scenario. It's a simple property rights issue.

And even the argument that piracy might increase sales is irrelevant. Even if it were true (and the experience with the record industry suggests that it's not), I, as copyright owner, get to make the choice of whether I want to allow someone a free trial. The non-purchaser does not have the right to make that decision.
  • Reply 62 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, because you can add cool stuff Apple left off like an Internet browser. 

Ah yes, the niche use cases for TV appliances. Clearly Apple is failing to compete.

• Reply 63 of 69
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you are being too harsh and making some blanket statements that aren't supported by any facts.

The kind of person who generally does this is the kind of person who has no morals, and has committed many other minor or major crimes in their lives. 

Perhaps you should follow your own advice.

• Reply 64 of 69
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ah yes, the niche use cases for TV appliances. Clearly Apple is failing to compete.

Wow, way to pull the thread. 

The point was made that most people jailbreak to pirate apps and that there weren't the same legitimate reasons to jailbreak anymore.  This was countered with the fact that you don't need to jailbreak to pirate apps on iOS, and made further to the point that Apple TV 2nd Gen commands a higher price on eBay because it's capable of being jailbroken, despite the fact there are absolutely zero apps that can be pirated for it.  While there are far fewer reasons to jailbreak an Apple TV than an iPhone or iPad, the reasons that remain are significant enough in the marketplace to result in a demand for the 2nd Gen and a bump in pricing for it.  One person mentioned being able to install apps like an Internet browser, and you turned it into a sarcastic "Clearly Apple is failing to compete."

Nice job.

The point remains though.  Clearly people are jailbreaking for reasons that have nothing to do with piracy.  You can believe those of us who are saying this here or choose not to believe us because somehow we have incentive to lie.  You can visit the top jailbreaking communities and see what they're talking about... and I dare you to mention piracy (see: http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/).  You can search YouTube for videos or Google for articles showing all the reasons why people jailbreak that have nothing to do with piracy.  You can look at jailbreak-only apps and services that used to exist for piracy that have all shut down, while services that don't require jailbreaking for piracy continue to operate.  And you can look at the fact that enough people are jailbreaking the Apple TV, that the 2nd generation is commanding a higher price despite there being no apps to pirate for it.

• Reply 65 of 69
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

Quote:

No, but it does mean that you have a very, very high probability of being a person who pirates games.  It's literally the number one reason people jailbreak.

No. Not at all. There are MANY reasons to jailbreak aside from pirating. Examples include wanting to change your default web browser, wanting to tether on occasion without getting double-dipped by AT&T, wanting to customize your UI.

I have had 3 jailbroken phones and have never pirated an app. Why would I pirate? Most games are free and the few that are not only cost $1 or $2. It's not even close to being worth the trouble to pirate.

You guys are all assuming, without any data at all, that jailbreak = pirate. And that's just unadulterated B.S. Which is why these A.I. forums are such a laughingstock on other forums. A.I. has a lot of regulars who post before they think, if they think at all. It's pathetic.

• Reply 66 of 69
    evaniamevaniam Posts: 2member
    Come and join the best Deus Ex: The Fall forum in hot discussion with a thousand others about any thing related to Deus Ex: The Fall. If you need an overall appraisal of the game, Search AppsGoer to get a full review.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    evaniamevaniam Posts: 2member
    Come and join the best Deus Ex: The Fall forum in hot discussion with a thousand others about any thing related to Deus Ex: The Fall. If you need an overall appraisal of the game, Search AppsGoer to get a full review.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

No, but it does mean that you have a very, very high probability of being a person who pirates games.  It's literally the number one reason people jailbreak.

It's literally not even in my top 166 reasons why I jailbroke:

0. 7-zip (POSIX)

1. Activator

2. AirBlue Sharing

3. AirBlue Stack

4. AirFloat

5. Airplane SBSettings Toggle

6. AnyAttach

7. AppInfo

8. AppList

9. APR (/usr/lib)

10. APT 0.6 Transitional

11. APT 0.7 (apt-key)

12. APT 0.7 HTTPS Method

13. APT 0.7 Strict

14. APT 0.7 Strict (lib)

15. AptBackup

16. AssistantEnhancer

17. AssistantExtensions

18. atom

19. Autolock SBSettings

20. Barrel

21. basic-cmds

22. Berkeley DB

23. BigBoss Icon Set

24. Bourne-Again SHell

25. Bridge

26. Bubbles Pro LivePaper

27. bzip2

28. CleverPin

29. Core Utilities

30. Core Utilities (/bin)

31. cURL

32. CustomSpotlightAction

33. CustomWidgetIcons

34. Cyueue

35. Darwin Tools

36. DataMonitor

37. Dater

38. Debian Packager

39. Debian Utilities

40. Default HD SBSettings

41. Diff Utilities

42. diskdev-cmds

43. Do Not Disturb Toggle

44. Earth LivePaper

45. Erica Utilities

46. evasi0n 6.0-6.1.2 Untether

47. Fast Forward

48. file-cmds

49. Find Utilities

50. Five Icon Dock

51. Five-Column SpringBoard

52. Flex

53. Flipswitch

54. FolderEnhancer

55. Forecast

56. Gawk

57. gettext

58. glib

59. GNU Cryptography

60. GNU Privacy Guard

61. GnuPG Errors

62. Gremlin Activities for iOS6

63. Gremlin Framework

64. Gremlin Plugin Pack

65. grep

66. gzip

67. Harlem Shake

68. iCaughtU Pro

69. iCleaner Pro

70. IconSupport

71. iFile

72. iForum

73. Insomnia

74. Insomnia Toggle

75. iOS 6 ColorfulStatusbar

76. iSHSHit

77. iSlideText

78. iWebSearch Pro

79. LayerSnapshotter

80. less

81. libaiml

82. libdisplaystack

83. libgpod

84. libhide

85. libid3tag

86. libplist

87. libstatusbar

88. libxml2

89. libxml2 Library

90. libzip

91. LivePapers

92. LZMA Utils

93. mDNSResponder

94. MFMusicLibrary.framework

95. Mobile Substrate

96. MobileTerminal

97. Music4Me

98. MxTube

99. My TraceRoute

100. My3G

101. myTunes

102. MyWi 6

103. MyWi 6.0 (iOS 6 Library)

104. MyWi OnDemand

105. N Stats for NotificationCenter

106. Net Talk Toggle

107. Netatalk

108. network-cmds

109. New Curses

110. Nexus LivePaper

111. Nitrous

112. NoCoverFlow

113. OpenBackup

114. OpenSSH

115. OpenSSL

116. PAM (Apple)

117. PAM Modules

118. PandoraSkips

119. pandy

120. pcre

121. pincrush

122. PreferenceLoader

123. Profile Directory

124. ProTube

125. ProTube HD

126. Pull To Dismiss

127. readline

128. RecordMyScreen (App)

129. SandCastle 2

130. SBSettings

131. sbsettingstoggles

132. sed

133. Serious SBSettings HD

134. shell-cmds

135. ShowCase

136. Shrink

137. Signal 2

138. SleepFX

139. SMS Timestamps

140. SpotDict

141. SpringBoardAccess

142. SpringFlash

143. Substrate Safe Mode

144. Swipebright

145. SwipeSelection

146. symbolicate

147. system-cmds

148. Tape Archive

149. top

150. UIKit Tools

151. Unfold

152. Universal TV

153. unrar

154. WebSearch

155. WeeLoader

156. WeePreferenceLoader

157. WeeSearch Pro for NotificationCenter

158. whois

159. WiFi Analyzer

160. WiFiFoFum

161. WinterBoard

162. xCon

163. YFiSelect 5.0+

164. YourTube for iOS6

165. Zephyr

If that list seems like a lot, it isn't, not compared to most jailbreakers I come across.  That list doesn't include my own apps and tweaks that I side-loaded.  I also have about 400 apps from iTunes on my iPhone that are either freeware or paid for.

• Reply 69 of 69
    marklarkmarklark Posts: 30member
    It's got nothing to do with why I jailbroke my iPhones. I do it to put in apps that Apple wouldn't approve -- and I BUY those from Cydia, etc.