Angry Birds Star Wars sequel to launch Sept. 19 with tie-in action figures

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Rovio on Monday announced a follow-up to the wildly popular game that brought together Angry Birds and Star Wars, with the sequel getting a real-world play component as well.

Angry Birds Star Wars II

September 19 will see Rovio launching Angry Birds Star Wars 2, though Rovio has yet to specify which platforms the game will land on. Observers note that Android and iOS are almost certainly among the launch platforms, but Windows Phone 8 could also see recognition from the game maker.

Most notable in this new release will be a real-world physical component unlike any in previous Rovio games. Angry Birds Star Wars 2 will integrate "telepods," a Hasbro-created toy that interfaces with a device's camera in order to make the depicted character appear on the screen. In this way, Rovio is taking a page from Activision's Skylanders, which uses NFC-based unit identification in order to populate games with the action figure characters.

Rovio will be showing off gameplay and likely the toys at this week's San Diego Comic-Con. When the game debuts, Rovio reps have said, it will do so with "over 30 playable characters."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Only problem is that it is over two months away, imo an announcement anymore than a month ahead and or announced but delayed launch and availability is a hassle. Waiting is annoying
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Angry Birds Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the In-App Purchases

• Reply 3 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [B][I]Angry Birds Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the DLC[/I][/B]
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Skylanders are pure marketing evil genius. During the game launch we (my company) had some figurines to give away when you booked an event with us. At its peak, some parents were in a frenzy for certain hard to find figurines, and some parents were offering to book events with my company if I could guarantee a certain figurine. Pure marketing genius. Our response was you can have whatever is available, but no guarantees. The big boss wasn't interested in playing that game.

If Rovio is as smart as I think they are, there will be some figurines that are limited production or hard to find, and parents will be going nuts trying to find them. Brilliant.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I must be weird. I played Angry Birds for a few days and got soooo bored. Now, X-Plane, there's a great iOS app and OS X application for recreational use.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Quote:

Originally Posted by applefan08 View Post

Only problem is that it is over two months away, imo an announcement anymore than a month ahead and or announced but delayed launch and availability is a hassle. Waiting is annoying

Hello first time poster and welcome aboard!

And might I had a suggestion to talk to your doctor about Ritalin on your next check-up?

(just kidding you of course :¬)

But in a more serious answer to your comment, 2 months seems perfectly well balanced to me!? I mean, the summer blockbuster movies are sometimes advertised at christmas or the Super Bowl!! This announcement is only the beginning of the campaign... It’s going to build up over the coming weeks.

• Reply 7 of 7

There is a new app launch, called "Project X" by FreeAppADay! Everyone's talking about it, if you want to find out more check this link at http://projectx.freeappaday.com/