Leaked video shows off Moto X voice and gesture controls, reveals launch window

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
A new video leaked ahead of the release of the Moto X demonstrates some of the features of the forthcoming Motorola flagship device, including its ability to receive audio commands from the user without any physical interaction required.

The video is a promotional spot from Canadian wireless carrier Rogers, and it demonstrates the Moto X's continuous listening ability. Since the device is constantly listening for user audio input, users can activate search features such as Google Now with just their voice by speaking a preset phrase, such as "OK, Google Now..."

Users can also activate the device's digital assistant functions, causing the Moto X to send text messages, place calls, and carry out other tasks.

In addition to the voice-activated aspects, Motorola has packed a number of other new interface features into its forthcoming device. Instead of notification LEDs, the Moto X will feature a flickering image on-screen that shows which app is pushing out a notification.

Users can also activate the camera app on the phone with a double-flick wrist motion. When the camera app is open, users can take pictures by tapping on the screen or activate burst mode by holding a finger to the screen.

For Motorola, the new Moto X represents the company's continuing effort to regain relevance in a smartphone industry largely dominated by Apple and Samsung. Since Google purchased the phone maker in 2012, the search giant has been looking to turn Motorola into a viable Android manufacturer to counter Samsung, which makes 40 percent of the Android phones in consumer hands, as well as an overwhelming portion of the profit in the Android segment.

The Moto X will be assembled in the United States, a fact that Motorola recently began touting in the pre-release marketing for the device. The Moto X will also come in an array of colors, and reportedly with customization options for users ordering a handset online. This last feature, though, may be only available to customers in the United States, as the Rogers commercial makes no mention of customization options.

The video pegs August as the time frame for the device's release, which is in keeping with observer predictions. Motorola is expected to unveil the device in the next few weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Middle-aged woman with a nose ring. Interesting choice of spokesperson.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    trekttttrekttt Posts: 1member

This phone looks terrible. Like any of us would expect anything better from a CloneDroid device.

• Reply 3 of 54
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    So now Google can continuously listen to your every word, while draining your phone's battery, nice.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    This adds to the proof that Google doesn't have vision. It's a great company but it doesnt know how to make products. They have a "kitchen sink" mindset like Samsung.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Because a phone that always has it's microphone on is what everyone wants? I'm sure the NSA likes this but do regular users want one of these on the nightstand listening to them all night?
  • Reply 6 of 54

jesus the "flick your wrist twice" camera gimmick is ridiculous. It takes longer than a swipe and is not innovation. they pass it off as a great no innovative feature everyone will love. No, some engineer on the project was taking a dump when he thought of the idea. it's a new gesture. thats it. no substance, no reason, no revolution. i'll be flicking my wrist at this phone for a long time to come, whilst holding my iphone.

• Reply 7 of 54
    Have to agree these don't seem to the best thought out features or implementations of features. Flicking your write twice? Really? Wonder how long before lawsuits for repetitive stress start.

I wonder how the battery life will be with the constant listening (and if you can turn that off).
  • Reply 8 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    This is probably one of the products Google referred to a few months back. IIRC they mentioned that when they acquired Motorola there was about 18 months of product development already in the pipeline that needed to run the course. The products Moto would release this year weren't going to "wow" the market according to Google's CFO since MM changed ownership just a year ago in May. I guess 2014 is the year for Google ideas to be rolled out then?
  • Reply 9 of 54
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

How many people are going to fling their phone by flicking it twice?  Something tells me that people are going to stick to the traditional method on that one.

The screen notifications looks like a nice touch though.  I like addition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Because a phone that always has it's microphone on is what everyone wants? I'm sure the NSA likes this but do regular users want one of these on the nightstand listening to them all night?

Android doesn't usually force features on people.  More then likely the always on microphone can be turned off in settings if you're concerned about the NSA hearing you snoring, talking in your sleep, or the crinkling of the tin foil hat against your pillow.

• Reply 10 of 54
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

How many people are going to fling their phone by flicking it twice?  Something tells me that people are going to stick to the traditional method on that one.

The screen notifications looks like a nice touch though.  I like addition.

Android doesn't usually force features on people.  More then likely the always on microphone can be turned off in settings if you're concerned about the NSA hearing you snoring, talking in your sleep, or the crinkling of the tin foil hat against your pillow.

This may or may not be a good phone. Either way, it is a Motorola phone. So it's irrelevant whether Android forces features on people or not (though I too would be surprised if this could not be turned off).

• Reply 11 of 54
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This is probably one of the products Google referred to a few months back. IIRC they mentioned that when they acquired Motorola there was about 18 months of product development already in the pipeline that needed to run the course. The products Moto would release this year weren't going to "wow" the market according to Google's CFO since MM changed ownership just a year ago in May. I guess 2014 is the year for Google ideas to be rolled out then?

But how much of the phone is based on Googly ideas and how much is Moto?

• Reply 12 of 54
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I quite like it.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    But how much of the phone is based on Googly ideas and how much is Moto?

From everything I've read/seen, this is More Google and less Moto. Supposedly it's going to be running pure Android, which is a win for consumers I think
  • Reply 14 of 54
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Middle-aged woman with a nose ring. Interesting choice of spokesperson.

Actually not a nose-ring, but a nose stud.  Big difference.  

The stud is popular and super common among women (and some men) of all walks of life, the nose ring (outside of the ethnic Indian population) is a more extreme statement that often means "lesbian" or piercing addict.  Also, this is a Canadian advert, so ... even more common.  On the West Coast this would be an average middle class woman. 

• Reply 15 of 54
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I quite like it.

And what about it do you like, exactly? It doesn't win in specs, despite claims of being a superphone, and none of the features being touted are all that compelling. Seems to be another boring Android phone.

• Reply 16 of 54
    mikejones wrote: »
    And what about it do you like, exactly?

I am a big fan of Google Now. I use it on my iPhone 5 daily. This extends the usefulness, or it will for those who use it.

My concerns are battery life obviously.
  • Reply 17 of 54

Quote:

I am a big fan of Google Now. I use it on my iPhone 5 daily. This extends the usefulness, or it will for those who use it.

My concerns are battery life obviously.

Which doesn't answer why you like the phone. You've just stated you like a piece of software it happens to run (and which many other phones can too).

• Reply 18 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

And what about it do you like, exactly? It doesn't win in specs, despite claims of being a superphone, and none of the features being touted are all that compelling. Seems to be another boring Android phone.

Sorry, I hit "enter" too soon.

Neither Google nor Moto ever made claims about this being a superphone.  Those claims were made by the dreamers, the same who make similar claims about the next iPhone, etc.  Specs wise, this is probably a mid-range phone.  But as for utility - this phone is above any other Android phone in my opinion.  Again, battery life is a concern.  If it can do what they claim and last all day, it'll be very interesting.

I want a device that works for ME.  I love Google Now because it works for ME.  I don't have an Android phone obviously but I'd consider the right one.  Samsung, HTC, others just aren't the right one for me.  Nexus or this Moto, if it's pure Android, may be worth a look.  Again - these are my opinions.  I don't expect many here to agree and that's fine.

• Reply 19 of 54
    To quote Android guru Andy Rubin: "You shouldn't be communicating with the phone; you should be communicating with somebody on the other side of the phone."

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/10/20/andy-rubin-your-phone-shouldnt-be-an-assistant/
  • Reply 20 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

But as for utility - this phone is above any other Android phone in my opinion

In what way, specifically?

Quote:

I want a device that works for ME.  I love Google Now because it works for ME.  I don't have an Android phone obviously but I'd consider the right one.  Samsung, HTC, others just aren't the right one for me.  Nexus or this Moto, if it's pure Android, may be worth a look.  Again - these are my opinions.  I don't expect many here to agree and that's fine.

Which again does not answer the question. You still are only saying how you like a certain piece of software it happens to run (and again other phones can run too) not why you like the phone. So you like the phone simply because it can run Google Now? Why does that make the phone compelling when it's hardly an exclusive feature to either it or Android. It's fine if you don't want to actually provide any specifics, I was just wondering... No need to get your underwear in a twist.