Leaked video shows off Moto X voice and gesture controls, reveals launch window

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Which again does not answer the question. You still are only saying how you like a certain piece of software it happens to run (and again other phones can run too) not why you like the phone. So you like the phone simply because it can run Google Now? Why does that make the phone compelling when it's hardly an exclusive feature to either it or Android. It's fine if you don't want to actually provide any specifics, I was just wondering... No need to get your underwear in a twist.

Not at all friend :-)  I don't get anything in a twist over this kind of stuff, much bigger problems in the world.  At the end of the day, these are just phones after all.

Maybe I can answer this way: I know the specs don't blow other phones out of the water.  However, for ME, I like the idea of an "always on" Google Now experience.  The wrist flick thing for camera, ok, not too impressive.  The background updates, nice touch.  But as long as battery life is ok, I like the idea of just talking to my phone w/o touching it.  Driving...working from home...there is some usefulness there for me.

• Reply 22 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    But how much of the phone is based on Googly ideas and how much is Moto?

According to Google this would be a phone that Moto already had designed before Google took over which would make this mostly a Moto created phone if that's the case, at least IMO.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    mikejones wrote: »
    And what about it do you like, exactly? It doesn't win in specs, despite claims of being a superphone, and none of the features being touted are all that compelling. Seems to be another boring Android phone.

Which doesn't answer why you like the phone. You've just stated you like a piece of software it happens to run (and which many other phones can too).

Which again does not answer the question. You still are only saying how you like a certain piece of software it happens to run (and again other phones can run too) not why you like the phone. So you like the phone simply because it can run Google Now? Why does that make the phone compelling when it's hardly an exclusive feature to either it or Android. It's fine if you don't want to actually provide any specifics, I was just wondering... No need to get your underwear in a twist.

Excellent points. Even the Google Now argument is passé. There are much better options for Google Now features and functionality and more available on the iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    This is probably one of the products Google referred to a few months back. IIRC they mentioned that when they acquired Motorola there was about 18 months of product development already in the pipeline that needed to run the course. The products Moto would release this year weren't going to "wow" the market according to Google's CFO since MM changed ownership just a year ago in May. I guess 2014 is the year for Google ideas to be rolled out then?

The whole "Ok, Google Now" always listening feature sounds a lot like Glass.

So I'm sure Google was involved. Maybe not in the hardware design.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Removed. Wrong thread
  • Reply 26 of 54
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Excellent points. Even the Google Now argument is passé. There are much better options for Google Now features and functionality and more available on the iPhone.

To each his or her own. I look forward to considering this phone in August.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    I like the idea of a pure Google Android device if I ever go to the darkside. Moto X screen looks kinda small though
  • Reply 28 of 54
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    allenbf wrote: »
    To each his or her own. I look forward to considering this phone in August.

Don't let them hassle you. It looks to be using the same technology that's in Google Glass where you can start the conversation without pressing the button. It's a great idea and I'd like for Siri to listen for key phrases to begin listening.

This is also one video from a Canadian service provider and I haven't seen official marketing on the phone yet from Motorola or Google.

For those thinking this is just a leftover Moto project, you may be right, but Google has committed a half billion dollars in marketing. This is as much Google's baby as it is Motorola's.

So let Allen be excited and stop riding him for enjoying a few features shown.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    I like the idea of a pure Google Android device if I ever go to the darkside. Moto X screen looks kinda small though

Rumors are 4.3 to 4.5 inches.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    It's always listening, huh? Sounds like a nightmarish feature when combined with Android's gaping security holes.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

The always listening voice control is a feature that has been standard on Apple computers since 2001. I used it sometimes for fun at home but outside of that I don't see it being that useful.  The jester to take pictures is just asking for trouble, so instead of just calling people by accident you might end up with sharing some photos you didn't intend to even take.  

• Reply 32 of 54
    I myself would prefer a larger screen that I can pocket, a 5" iPhone and/or 6" iPad mini would work well for me
  • Reply 33 of 54

I don't like the idea of a phone that's always on, myself, NSA and it's stooge Google listening or not.  I don't even use Siri.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

The jester to take pictures is just asking for trouble, so instead of just calling people by accident you might end up with sharing some photos you didn't intend to even take.  

I'm thinking former American Congressman Wiener.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This may or may not be a good phone. Either way, it is a Motorola phone. So it's irrelevant whether Android forces features on people or not (though I too would be surprised if this could not be turned off).

I suppose one could root the device and slap on their own build.  It would be like buying a Ford, and saying that a GM engine is better so you rip the engine out and put in a Chevy block...

As a Canadian, I loathe Rogers so they can parade these Android commercials over and over and will just reinforce my total contempt for them.  :)

• Reply 34 of 54
    drealothdrealoth Posts: 79member
    This looks really neat. I wonder how the public is going to respond, in light of the NSA ordeal - normally I'd be totally gung-ho about this sort of thing, but I admit it does make me a bit uncomfortable (although I'm sure they could turn on your phone's microphone anyway if they really wanted). As far as I understand, it uses special hardware to reduce battery drain. I could really see myself using this - not in public, but I keep my phone on my desk a lot. If it works as well as it looks, it would be especially nice to be able to do this without having to go to a screen at all - defining things, adding notes. No idea how well it will work, but in concept looks nice. Would love something like this for my house.

Hopefully Siri gets some upgrades too.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

WTF is up with people on here? Badgering a guy for considering an android phone? & asking for his reasons like he needs permission.

people can pick whatever phone they want, i don't care. it becomes a joke when people hate on stuff without trying it, personally the moto x might have some features that are awesome, so far, the features shown don't suit me, no big deal.

• Reply 36 of 54
    jonshfjonshf Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Android doesn't usually force features on people.  More then likely the always on microphone can be turned off in settings if you're concerned about the NSA hearing you snoring, talking in your sleep, or the crinkling of the tin foil hat against your pillow.

Yes, but Android does force you to have to go into the myriad of settings and try to find the ones you want to turn off. Adding features is just too easy and the Android camp doesn't seem to understand that adding frivolous features is a negative.

• Reply 37 of 54
    zozman wrote: »
    WTF is up with people on here? Badgering a guy for considering an android phone? & asking for his reasons like he needs permission.

people can pick whatever phone they want, i don't care. it becomes a joke when people hate on stuff without trying it, personally the moto x might have some features that are awesome, so far, the features shown don't suit me, no big deal.

Fanboys are idiots, no matter whether they are Android or Apple fanboys. Haha, there's no shortage of them here, that's for sure.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    I will want to have always on Voice commands ONLY if it will recognize my voice and don't react to anybody else...

And that camera ? What ? Taping anywhere for taking a picture ? And how Am I supposed to focus ? Or set an AE/AF lock ? And that gesture to activate camera... Pfffffff No thanks.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    zozman wrote: »
    WTF is up with people on here? Badgering a guy for considering an android phone?

Maybe read the URL of the website you're on? :no:
  • Reply 40 of 54
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe read the URL of the website you're on? image

Not a chance, being on an apple forum & news site is not an excuse for being a jerk, wake up image