Editorial: Google's Android haunted by Steve Jobs' warnings on app signing security

Comments

• Reply 161 of 194
    gsleon3gsleon3 Posts: 2member
    Yes, there are no good apps for Android. That is a pretty offensive statement & simply asinine. You can go back to rubbing your iPhone against your shriveled little man parts now you blinkard schmuck.
  • Reply 162 of 194

You don't seem to understand the difference between vulnerabilities that are rapidly patched and malicious exploits.

There were 32.8 million Android devices infected with 65,227 different pieces of malware in 2012 alone compared to zero malicious exploits for iOS according to NQ Mobile.

The proof is in the pudding - Android is a malware cesspit compared to Apple's curated ecosystem.

• Reply 163 of 194

Android users purchase timewasting devices that require time spent on them that would otherwise be better used.  They are devices that need to be coddled, to have attention thrown at them.  To worry about the next security hole.  The wonder if your carrier will ever bother to provide an update.

There was a time in my life when I would also spend time like that.  The problem is that now I realize I have fewer days ahead of me than behind me and don't want to be "rooting" my phone because the company won't provide an update.  Are these valuable skills?  No.

• Reply 164 of 194
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocwurst View Post

You don't seem to understand the difference between vulnerabilities that are rapidly patched and malicious exploits.

There were 32.8 million Android devices infected with 65,227 different pieces of malware in 2012 alone compared to zero malicious exploits for iOS according to NQ Mobile.

The proof is in the pudding - Android is a malware cesspit compared to Apple's curated ecosystem.

Not sure if you can say zero for iOS.

• Reply 165 of 194
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Rocwurst wrote: »

Referring to Android as a cesspit or cesspool is a grave disservice to Wastewater Engineers. The result of a cesspool is that Wastewater Engineers decontaminate the water for resuse in developed countries.

Blackwater might be more apt.
  • Reply 166 of 194
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

As PC World wrote, "While malware in the Play Store isn't anything new, it's concerning to see such an app make it into Apple's walled garden" That was last summer, and iOS 6 has since stopped apps from accessing contacts without asking permission. So its an issue Apple solved on iOS, and one that Google can't fix if it wanted to on the Android "platform."

The "FinFisher" malware is also cross platform malware, but its iOS version requires manual installation with a developer signed app and an ad-hoc distribution profile, so its something you'd have to really search for. 

But it is interesting that you guys have such a blind reference for supporting Android that you can ignore the quite apparent status quo of the malware-teeming Google Play store, dismiss core architectural flaws as non-important, wave away first party malware/spyware from Samsung, pretend that there is some significant and legitimate market for APKs, and then turn around and say hey! I found two reports of stuff nobody can install today from last summer on the web for iOS!!!

• Reply 167 of 194
    mdcraggmdcragg Posts: 73member
    This was a good article. A few are whining about it but who cares.
  • Reply 168 of 194
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And that's the best you can do? Some obscure photography apps.

Please. Please just shut up. At first I thought you actually thought half of the things you posted, but please. You've lost already. Every single study ever done on every type of mobile app since the beginning of the existence of the ecosystems themselves proves you wrong. Just go away.
    When can I get banned? I'm feeling left out. I berate KD, Macrulez and all the new trolls regularly and haven't even racked up any warnings. I must be doing something wrong.

More venom, less patience.
  • Reply 169 of 194
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I figure the original iPhone goal was have App Store, but got delayed and figured great with iPhone 3G release.
  • Reply 170 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

You're kidding right? Malware isn't a problem on Android??

https://www.google.com/search?q=malware+on+android&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

That was just a quick Google (oh the irony) search but you get the picture. Malware is a HUGE problem for and on Android. Please do a little research next time before parroting obvious mullarky.

First, I didn't say that malware was nonexistent.  I said it wasn't a problem.  There is a difference between those two.

And to humor you, I read all of the links on the first results page.  Guess what?  It confirmed what I said before.  All the numbers for malware threats are from companies selling anti-malware software.

• Reply 171 of 194
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

As PC World wrote, "While malware in the Play Store isn't anything new, it's concerning to see such an app make it into Apple's walled garden" That was last summer, and iOS 6 has since stopped apps from accessing contacts without asking permission. So its an issue Apple solved on iOS, and one that Google can't fix if it wanted to on the Android "platform."

The "FinFisher" malware is also cross platform malware, but its iOS version requires manual installation with a developer signed app and an ad-hoc distribution profile, so its something you'd have to really search for. 

But it is interesting that you guys have such a blind reference for supporting Android that you can ignore the quite apparent status quo of the malware-teeming Google Play store, dismiss core architectural flaws as non-important, wave away first party malware/spyware from Samsung, pretend that there is some significant and legitimate market for APKs, and then turn around and say hey! I found two reports of stuff nobody can install today from last summer on the web for iOS!!!

First of all I own and use an iPhone not an Android so I have no idea where that came from.  I don't blindly support or advocate Android or iOS/iPhone for that matter. I have complaints about both. iOS 7 looks to have answered most of my wish list for iOS and if Apple releases a larger display I won't have anything left to complain about.

I simply pointed out that iOS has not been immune as that other poster suggested. I understand that there is a lot more malware on Android and never said any different. But some has existed for iOS whether it was patched or not and whether it requires an idiot user to install. Most Android malware also require a pretty dumb user to seek it out and install so no real difference there. 

People on Android that only use the Google Play store and keep the "unknown sources" checked are very unlikely to ever suffer from malware. They should probably be a bit more careful monitoring permissions that apps use and also might want to use Avast as an extra precaution but it is not quite as dangerous as you make it sound. 

• Reply 172 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Perhaps irrelevant flaws doesn't quite fit for what I'm thinking of, which is more in line with outright falsehoods, but I left the wording from your other post.  Anyway, from this thread:

1. I am a developer. Been for many years. Practice described above is rare on other platforms, but can be found on Android for obvious reason. It makes Android development even more costly and complicated. Most of all, this is not welcomed by neither: developers and users.

3. Tablet is a key essential for a good educational software. You statement confirms what you disagreed with.

Vast majority of users don't want to change default things or even the default apps.

5.  I agree malware is not special problem on Android, because businesses generally don't use it. If you don't see the numbers of infections, that doesn't mean there aren't any. Those, who could report of it are the root source of it and are keeping silent with a purpose.

1.  I can't really comment as I'm not a developer, but I suspect that fragmented API support does raise costs somewhat.

3.  I wasn't confirming what I disagreed with.  I was agreeing with part and disagreeing with another part.  I think you're underestimating the number of users who replace default apps on Android.  The system makes it so easy that it's incredibly common.  For example let's look at keyboards.  Swiftkey has been installed between 11M and 55M times.  GO Keyboard has been installed between 10M and 50M times.  AItype has been installed 5M to 10M times.  Swype has been installed between 100K and 500K times.

5.  I agree that malware exists, but is not a problem.

• Reply 173 of 194
    First, I didn't say that malware was nonexistent.  I said it wasn't a problem.  There is a difference between those two.

And to humor you, I read all of the links on the first results page.  Guess what?  It confirmed what I said before.  All the numbers for malware threats are from companies selling anti-malware software.
    I never said you did say that malware was non-exsistent.

Humor but not actually read correct? Nice to see you so dismissive of malware regardless of tbe source.
  • Reply 174 of 194
    creepcreep Posts: 80member

The second headline says that DED interviewed Steve Jobs about native application programming before the iPhone was released in 2007.  Maybe I missed it, but based on what was in the article he stood at an open mic and asked SJ a single question with no follow-up.  Can this really count as an interview?

• Reply 175 of 194
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    When you claim that one question asked of Steve jobs at a podium is a "interview" and you create a alter ego account to defend your article, clearly the problem isn't necessarily the "facts" of your editorials, it is the size of your ego.

Write your article, post and don't look back if you cant stand the criticism.
  • Reply 176 of 194
    I never said you did say that malware was non-exsistent. Reading comprehension beyond you?

Humor but not actually read correct? Nice to see you so dismissive of malware regardless of tbe source.

Apparently my reading comprehension is no worse than yours. I told you I read the links. I don't dismiss the idea that malware could be problematic. I dismiss the idea that it is problematic. None of the articles gave rates of infection, only percentage increases in malware. Why does that matter? Because 5 incidents is a 400% increase over 1 instance. Is 5 incidents cause for concern? No. On the other hand 50,000,000 is an equal percentage increase over 10,000,000 and would be cause for concern (even 10M is concerning). You see?

As for being critical of the source, that's a basic tenet of research. You discount the credibility of sources who stand to gain from presenting information of a certain type.
  • Reply 177 of 194
    Thanks for labeling it as editorial...
  • Reply 178 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Easy fix, don't read the comments.

Point taken. I consider myself advised.

Truth be told, I rarely read AI article comments. That's not why I come to this site.

Dan's longtime site, on the other hand, often generates interesting reader feedback, and I made the mistake of assuming that such would be the case here. What I find instead are people such as yourself, who provide simplistic responses and pretend that such trolls are clever. 

Dan, please return to posting at your old site, so I can avoid dasanman69 and others of his ilk.

• Reply 179 of 194
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    macsdounix wrote: »
    Point taken. I consider myself advised.
    Truth be told, I rarely read AI article comments. That's not why I come to this site.
    Dan's longtime site, on the other hand, often generates interesting reader feedback, and I made the mistake of assuming that such would be the case here. What I find instead are people such as yourself, who provide simplistic responses and pretend that such trolls are clever. 
    Dan, please return to posting at your old site, so I can avoid dasanman69 and others of his ilk.

I didn't think I was clever I just thought it unwise of you to complain about something that won't change. I reserve my complaints when I can get results any thing else is a waste of energy.
  • Reply 180 of 194
    richl wrote: »
    I was wondering about that. In fact, I remember the another shareholder writing about DED's 'interview'. He was very annoyed that DED acted like a dick to get the microphone in order to ask a question that had very little to do with the shareholders' meeting.

Asking about 3rd party apps has little to do with a late 2007 Apple Shareholder meeting??