Apple-Samsung smartphone ban courtroom showdown scheduled for Aug. 9

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit has scheduled a major confrontation between Apple and Samsung for August 9 regarding potential sales injunctions.

Samsung Phones
Apple illustration of Samsung phones pre- and post-iPhone. | Source: Apple trial brief

The date has been set because of an effort by Apple to bar sales of some Samsung smartphones on the grounds of patent infringement. Though Apple won its initial patent infringement claim against Samsung in a jury trial last year, U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh refused to award Apple an injunction against Samsung smartphones, prompting the iPhone maker's appeal.

The August court date will be the most important event in Apple v. Samsung since last summer's jury trial, intellectual property expert Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents said this week. He said the hearing could even prove to be more important, because Apple's victory last year may prove meaningless if the company is unable to see any action taken against Samsung for its infringement.

Last year, Koh refused to grant Apple's initial request for injunction against Samsung because the infringed patents applied to only a "small fraction" of the features available on the phones in question. The judge ruled that it would not be fair to ban entire products because of "a few narrow protected functions."

In addition to not winning an injunction, Apple has yet to collect any money from Samsung. Though the company was initially awarded $1.05 billion by a jury, 40 percent of that, or about $450 million, was vacated in March of this year.

Samsung has also been pushing back, and just last week called for a new trial on the so-called "rubber banding" patent owned by Apple related to a scrolling user interface. For its part, Apple has accused Samsung of attempting to "delay and derail" a retrial on the remaining damages in the patent infringement suit.

Samsung seeks a new jury in its retrial that it hopes will further reduce the damages it currently owes Apple. Last year's jury determined that 14 Samsung products were in violation of Apple patents, while Apple had not violated any Samsung patents.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    Good. Apple doesn't deserve a dime.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Verdict: You can no longer sell devices that you no longer sell.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    harharhar wrote: »

What a stupid post. Just like all of your others, insulting all Apple users. Leave now.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    harharhar wrote: »

No, they deserve 20,000,000,000 dimes.
  • Reply 5 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by harharhar View Post

All of harharhar's posts (4 of them) are all trolling comments.  Move on.

• Reply 6 of 84

I only insult those that deserve to be insulted. How do the patents involved warrant a device ban? Explain.

Having a bounce back effect. Apple "patented" it, long after it had been in use by other companies because it was such a basic obvious thing, they didn't think it was worth patenting. So that bounce effect, deserves millions of phones to be banned.

Honestly, in what sane persons mind, does this make any sense at all?

Oh I forgot. Appleinsider. Sanity left the regular commenters here ages ago.

• Reply 7 of 84
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Please leave this forum alone.

• Reply 8 of 84
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    Ignore and F off this forum!
  • Reply 9 of 84
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What a stupid post. Just like all of your others, insulting all Apple users. Leave now.

What a stupid post. Just like all of your others, insulting all the people who are pro free speech.

I don't ask you to leave...

• Reply 10 of 84
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

whine..whine..whine... 

If you left the comfort of your parents' basement for once, perhaps your opinion would change.

Nah... who am I kidding.  Buzz off troll.

• Reply 11 of 84
    blitz1 wrote: »
    ...insulting all the people who are pro free speech.

This is a private forum, you fool. You don't get to say anything you want here. Nice to see you trolls stick together, though.

"Free speech" isn't a magical, mystical pass to say anything you want ANYWHERE. People tend to learn that past the fifth grade, at least when I was growing up.

Now go away. Both of you.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

How do the patents involved warrant a device ban? Explain.

Having a bounce back effect. Apple "patented" it, long after it had been in use by other companies because it was such a basic obvious thing, they didn't think it was worth patenting. So that bounce effect, deserves millions of phones to be banned.

Apple must patent everything it can, not necessary because they want to sue others on them, but mostly to avoid gettings sued by patent trolls.  Sadly you have companies making patents or buying patents for the sole reason to sue afterwards. Those companies dont used those patents or make anything, they just want free cash.  Such a broken system.

After 2007, the smartphone market did clone Apple iphone looks and feel. Apple counter sue with various patents it hads, with mixed results depending on countries. imo its all a waste of cash and time. The patent system is just broken.

• Reply 13 of 84

Quote:

This is a private forum, you fool. You don't get to say anything you want here. Nice to see you trolls stick together, though.

"Free speech" isn't a magical, mystical pass to say anything you want ANYWHERE. People tend to learn that past the fifth grade, at least when I was growing up.

Wouldn't it better have been "Raus"?

With "private forum", you mean people are not allowed to have an opinion?

• Reply 14 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

insulting all the people who are pro free speech.

Free speech allows for you to go off and start your own blog and voice your own opinions if you so wish. Call it 'Samsung Cheerleader'... just make sure you don't steal Apple Insider's design...

While on this forum though, be respectful. Cos them's the rules.

• Reply 15 of 84

Quote:

Awwww, it looks like somebody is really missing their magic 'delete' button... image

• Reply 16 of 84
    blitz1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it better have been "Raus"?

Pick one or make more sense to begin with.
    With "private forum", you mean people are not allowed to have an opinion?

And they're off again! It's "Hey, He Can Voice His "Opinion" If He Wants" by a neck, but right up behind him it's "Free Speech" followed by "You're All Apple Cheerleaders, Anyway" and "Bouncing Betty"...
    Awwww, it looks like somebody is really missing their magic 'delete' button...

Not sure I've ever seen a more appropriate user name, as every one of your posts makes me want to vomit.

Oh, right, And look at this, ladies and gentlemen, it's a late entry to the field, "Anyone Can Say Anything They Want Here Without Repercussion Of Any Sort"!
  • Reply 17 of 84
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Lucy Koh. Is that a Korean surname? If so, did Apple consider asking her to recuse herself? Unlike Germans, Italians, Chinese, Japanese, etc. that have been here so long that sympathy for the motherland is easily sublimated, the vast majority of Koreans her age here are immigrants or first generation. It could be an issue, if only of perception.
  • Reply 18 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Free speech allows for you to go off and start your own blog and voice your own opinions if you so wish. Call it 'Samsung Cheerleader'... just make sure you don't steal Apple Insider's design...

While on this forum though, be respectful. Cos them's the rules.

In what was I (more) disrespectful than say any post of some person like Tallest Skill?

I didn't command anyone to leave?

I don't even think my post was pro Samsung...

• Reply 19 of 84

Quote:

Pick one or make more sense to begin with.

And they're off again! It's "Hey, He Can Voice His "Opinion" If He Wants" by a neck, but right up behind him it's "Free Speech" followed by "You're All Apple Cheerleaders, Anyway" and "Bouncing Betty"...

Not sure I've ever seen a more appropriate user name, as every one of your posts makes me want to vomit.

Oh, right, And look at this, ladies and gentlemen, it's a late entry to the field, "Anyone Can Say Anything They Want Here Without Repercussion Of Any Sort"!

raus:

German[edit]

Etymology[edit]

Contraction of heraus (out here).

Interjection[edit]

raus!

1. (colloquial) get out!

But I'm sure you knew that

By the way your quote "Not sure I've ever seen a more appropriate user name, as every one of your posts makes me want to vomit." is very "elegant". You know your way with free speech!

• Reply 20 of 84
    Lucy Koh. Is that a Korean surname? If so, did Apple consider asking her to recuse herself? Unlike Germans, Italians, Chinese, Japanese, etc. that have been here so long that sympathy for the motherland is easily sublimated, the vast majority of Koreans her age here are immigrants or first generation. It could be an issue, if only of perception.

Let's not go over that again. She's American.

Now a court IN Korea? That's a different story.