Microsoft slashes Surface RT prices by $150 as it flounders against Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mikejones wrote: »
    <div class="content" style="padding-right:5px;padding-left:22px;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:20px;">probably alteration of founder
    <div style="margin-top:5px;">First Known Use: 1592</div>

I guess because a word has only existed for ~400 years, it's unacceptable. :p

This is not a balloon, by the way. That's 1792 and newer.
  • Reply 82 of 127
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

"I could care less" when you mean "I couldn't care less" gets me irritated.

If you could care less, that means you at least care a bit.

If you read between the lines so to speak, it means the same exact thing though.

• Reply 83 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    grblade wrote: »
    And I still don't want it.

Zuned ....
  • Reply 84 of 127
    drealothdrealoth Posts: 79member
    The thing I don't get about this one is the screen. Hardware's really nice - it's distinct and doesn't feel like another iPad knock off, and the type cover is also really nice - better than any iPad keyboard I've used.

Then they put a low resolution screen on it. And priced it the same as an iPad. Doesn't make sense - so close, yet so far away.
  • Reply 85 of 127
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    mikejones wrote: »
    Yes, you are definitely fighting a losing battle. It has been used as an intransitive verb as an alteration of founder since around 1592 according to Merriam-Webster. You're about 421 years late to the party.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flounder

<span style="background-color:#FFFFFF;color:rgb(195,133,122);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;font-weight:bold;line-height:20px;">Origin of </span>
    <em style="color:rgb(195,133,122);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:20px;font-style:normal;">FLOUNDER</em>

<div class="content" style="padding-right:5px;padding-left:22px;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:20px;">probably alteration of founder
    <div style="margin-top:5px;">First Known Use: 1592</div>

</div>
    That was good! I bow to your superior resource. But even though centuries late, I am right that it was probably conceived in error. Now "butt naked" is another matter isn't it? What does your Webster's say about that alteration?
  • Reply 86 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

People may have thought MS Office was essential initially when the iPad started selling into enterprise, but Enterprise, government, schools and institutions got several years of experience without MS Office and learned that they could work just fine without it. Now, with iOS7 and iWork in the cloud and on the web, MS Office will shortly become even more redundant. 

The barn door was open for too many years and Microsoft still thinks they can herd the customers back under their roof... I don't think so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Microsoft just thinks that since they control essentially 90% of the desktops/laptops that they think they want Microsoft products for smartphones and tablets.

Oops.  I guess they were wrong.

I think it's also because Microsoft put all their eggs in that basket: PCs running MS Office. When it came time to offer a tablet experience, what did they do? Turn it into a laptop running MS Office. What else could they do? That is the limit of their imagination.

• Reply 87 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So you'd just rather have it that Apple have a monopoly on tablets?

Microsoft had their chance. They were unchallenged in tablet computing between 1995 and 2010. You didn't complain about their monopoly on tablets. Why is that, hmm?

• Reply 88 of 127
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Microsoft had their chance. They were unchallenged in tablet computing between 1995 and 2010. You didn't complain about their monopoly on tablets. Why is that, hmm?

First they didn't make the tablets and second it wasn't much of a market. The vast majority of people don't even know that tablets existed before the iPad, that's not much of a monopoly.
  • Reply 89 of 127
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

First they didn't make the tablets and second it wasn't much of a market. The vast majority of people don't even know that tablets existed before the iPad, that's not much of a monopoly.

More like they simply didn't care for them. Microsoft's tablets still ran a Windows OS, and was essentially a laptop with a stylus and missing the keyboard, or could be rotated around. This actually made them harder to use, because styluses were slow, their touchscreens were unresponsive, and they were simply too bulky and heavy to hold for an extended period of time. 

Either way, there wasn't enough differentiation between the 2 to merit getting both. 

• Reply 90 of 127
    abazigal wrote: »
    More like they simply didn't care for them. Microsoft's tablets still ran a Windows OS, and was essentially a laptop with a stylus and missing the keyboard, or could be rotated around. This actually made them harder to use, because styluses were slow, their touchscreens were unresponsive, and they were simply too bulky and heavy to hold for an extended period of time. 

Either way, there wasn't enough differentiation between the 2 to merit getting both. 

The few that knew about them didn't care but I know that the overwhelmingly majority of people that have an iPad think that's it's the first tablet in existence.
  • Reply 91 of 127
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Then again, some people thought Apple didn't stand a chance in the already crowded cell phone space. I don't fault Microsoft at all for trying. They have to respond. You can't sit idly by while someone steals your lunch. Microsoft continually responds too late.

IMO, it wasn't that Microsoft was late, but that their tablet offering continues to miss the mark with regards to why so many people found the ipad desirable to use in the first place.

Let me see....I use a tablet when I get home from work, and your selling point is that I can run office on it? Really? Your definition of fun is being able to hammer out a thesis in bed? 

• Reply 92 of 127
    abazigal wrote: »
    IMO, it wasn't that Microsoft was late, but that their tablet offering continues to miss the mark with regards to why so many people found the ipad desirable to use in the first place.

Let me see....I use a tablet when I get home from work, and your selling point is that I can run office on it? Really? Your definition of fun is being able to hammer out a thesis in bed? 

You're absolutely correct, this is a perfect example when less is more. MS has a bad habit of over thinking things and while they're standing there rubbing their chin Apple has passed them by.
  • Reply 93 of 127
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You're absolutely correct, this is a perfect example when less is more. MS has a bad habit of over thinking things and while they're standing there rubbing their chin Apple has passed them by.

I don't think MS was "over thinking" but not thinking at all when they try to cram an existing OS into a different form factor with "no compromises".
  • Reply 94 of 127
    Attention editors: It is 'FOUNDERS' not 'FLOUNDERS.' Flounders are fish. Founder is a verb that describes a sinking ship.

Use your spare time to re-read that 8th grade grammar text.
  • Reply 95 of 127
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    atsysusa wrote: »
    Attention editors: It is 'FOUNDERS' not 'FLOUNDERS.' Flounders are fish. Founder is a verb that describes a sinking ship. Use your spare time to re-read that 8th grade grammar text.

As has already been covered in the thread, you're completely wrong.
  • Reply 96 of 127
    atsysusa wrote: »
    Attention editors: It is 'FOUNDERS' not 'FLOUNDERS.' Flounders are fish. Founder is a verb that describes a sinking ship.

Ugh, you obviously didn't read all the comments arguing that, either way is correct.
  • Reply 97 of 127
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsysusa View Post

As I told the other guy, you're more than 400 years late to the party whining about this.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flounder

2flounder

intransitive verb

floun·deredfloun·der·ing 

Definition of FLOUNDER

: to struggle to move or obtain footing : thrash about wildly

: to proceed or act clumsily or ineffectually

Origin of FLOUNDER

probably alteration of founder

First Known Use: 1592

• Reply 98 of 127
    netimoonnetimoon Posts: 41member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

But...but...it can have two windows open at once to do real multitasking! That stoopid iPad is so worthless since it can't do that. Apparently most consumers are just sheeple that can't realize the obvious superiority of Microsoft's tablet!

But... but.. the problem is, you can't find apps to do multitask on Windows RT.

• Reply 99 of 127
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

I can't even imagine how depressing the gang all look at a Microsoft BBQ. Latest rumour round the pit is that slates will next debut inside cereal boxes. 

• Reply 100 of 127
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

:) Isn't "deja vu all over again" a famous malapropism attributed to Yankee's manager, Yogi Berra? I agree, it's overused. 

Remember, "it's never too late to for a leopard to change horses in mid-stream," and "it's as heavy as a concrete elephant!" (both used for emphasis!) :)

He was a catcher for the Yankees who went on to manage the Mets.