Apple's iPad to handle Little League World Series scorekeeping

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's iPad will serve as the official scoring and record recording device used by officials during the 2013 Little League Baseball and Softball World Series, replacing the traditional pen-and-paper method currently in use..

iPad

Using the GameChanger app on a total of 35 separate iPads, Little League World Series officials will track stats and stream live game updates for nine World Series events and 10 region championship tournaments. Every pitch this summer will be tracked for the nine separate regional and international tournaments across multiple age groups.

For local Little League teams, Game Changer is also available as a free service for both iPad and iPhone, as well as Android phones. In total, 90,000 teams around the world will use GameChanger to track scores and performances this season.

In addition to tracking scores and stats, the app generates generates batting spray charts, animated play updates for remote followers, and instant game recap articles. A desktop version is also available.

The app also allows parents and families of Little Leaguers to follow game updates through their own GameChanger installations. Little League officials believe the addition of Apple's technology will open new possibilities for players and their families.

"With 2.4 million Little Leaguers around the world, modern technology is a great asset in communicating with all our players, coaches, families, volunteers and fans," said Stephen D. Keener, Little League Baseball and Softball President and CEO. "Utilizing GameChanger for scorekeeping and live game updates, will bring the Little League experience to life to an online and mobile audience like never before."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Will there be a spike in downloads for the GameChanger App??  Would be interesting to see the numbers.

• Reply 2 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Does the rest of the 'World' know this? ;)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Samsung - "You're Out!!!"
  • Reply 4 of 12
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Does the rest of the 'World' know this? image

As Michael Jackson once sang, "We ARE the world!" image  I know where you are coming from.  Like NFL Superbowl are World Champions... What "teams" did the NFL play in Asia, Europe, South America, Africa, etc.?

• Reply 5 of 12
    COOL! I didn't know they even had an app for that. I am gonna snag it. That's awesome.

On a side note, kinda cracks me up that ESPN shows the radar gun readings on these kids. Neat to see I guess.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Does the rest of the 'World' know this? ;)

I believe that the Little League World Series does include teams from all over the world.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I believe that the Little League World Series does include teams from all over the world.

Yup.  Us canucks send a team every time.  Quick search on the website yeilds an entire USA pool and a world pool:

Asia-Pacific

Australia

Canada

Caribbean

Europe & Africa

Japan

Latin America

Mexico
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Does the rest of the 'World' know this? image

Considering that it's between a US team and one from Taiwan, yes.

• Reply 9 of 12
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Once again, Bic scrambling to play catch-up.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

As Michael Jackson once sang, "We ARE the world!" image  I know where you are coming from.  Like NFL Superbowl are World Champions... What "teams" did the NFL play in Asia, Europe, South America, Africa, etc.?

Well, any NFL team should be able to trounce any team from any nation in the world outside the US. Baseball is a different story. 

• Reply 11 of 12
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    This is rather neat and could replace the electronic scoreboards (at least there controls) in the future.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    There are 22 World Series and Regional events for Little League. All games are being scored. You can follow online via the LLWS site: http://www.littleleague.org/worldseries/index.html

You just need a free GameChanger account to follow games live.

Note: You can use GameChanger for your own team throughout the season for free as well.