Google Maps for iOS adds iPad support, live traffic updates and indoor navigation

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google unveiled a significant update to Google Maps on Tuesday, finally bringing support for Apple's iPad, while adding enhanced features like indoor walking directions and "Explore," a new interface for browsing shopping, dining and lodging destinations.

Google Maps
Google Maps for iPad.

Google Maps version 2.0 brings the iOS title more in line with the native Android offering, including indoor mapping and the newly released "Explore" pane. Perhaps the most notable addition, however, is support for the iPad and iPad mini, a highly requested feature since the iOS Maps app moved away from Google's mapping data in iOS 6.

Searching on the iPad brings up information cards with an option to create a route to or from that location. Navigation is handled in much the same way as the iPhone iteration, but the extra space of the iPad's screen affords a persistent view of the map. If a certain query results in multiple routes, the a card stack is displayed that can be expanded to show all available options.

Google Maps

Alongside its new iPad capabilities, Google Maps brings a number of features over from the Android version of the app, like live traffic updates and incident reports and indoor maps with walking directions for shopping malls, airports, and other popular sites. Also included is the new "Explore" feature, which Google defines as "a new way to browse and discover popular local places to eat, drink, shop, play and sleep."

In practice, Explore operates much like other standalone iOS apps, such as Yelp, which use location information to make shopping or dining recommendations. The feature uses a five-star rating system that taps into Zagat's review database, and users can enter their own rating and review in-app. Google Offers is also supported.

Google Maps

Google Maps is a free 11.6MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Good! And I would! (three claps) If I thought that I was understood!
    And it'll be great! Just wait! (three claps) Or is it [B]too little, too late[/B]?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

just integrated GooGle Maps last week in iPad app. Works perfectly. What's the catch? image

• Reply 3 of 43
    mp1963mp1963 Posts: 17member

Just installed this "new" release on my ipad. All I get is the usual iphone app in 2X mode. I thought this was a new version ???

• Reply 4 of 43
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

I don't need it.  I could not care less.

Keep Google spying apps off of your iOS devices.

• Reply 5 of 43

Integrated car, transit, bike and walking directions make it a killer app for me. 

I want Apple Maps to be a worthy competitor to keep Google on its toes, but its car-centric focus is a hopelessly outdated approach. It would have been acceptable in 1995, but not 2013.

I'm not finding and downloading a new helper app every time I travel to a new place. I'm not keeping track of which helper apps can deal with the city I'm in. I'm not learning an entirely new map UI when I go to a new city. I'm not switching back and forth between Apple Maps and helper apps every time I want to a new set of directions. 

Yes, it takes some extra work to update the latest timetables from every transit agency in a country, but it's nothing compared to constantly updating the existence or non-existence of roads and highways in every nation on Earth. 

• Reply 6 of 43
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mp1963 View Post

Just installed this "new" release on my ipad. All I get is the usual iphone app in 2X mode. I thought this was a new version ???

Some sites are stating that the update is being rolled out gradually.  I downloaded the app just now.  Even though the iTunes description said "updated for iPad", I got the old version for the iPhone.  It doesn't have any of the new features.  Does your version include any of the new features?

• Reply 7 of 43
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    mp1963 wrote: »

Try uninstalling? I know others had a similar issue, I didn't.

Google Maps is beautiful on the iPad, wow. Loads quickly, runs smoothly, the "explore" option is a nice touch.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Google maps wipes out Scottish island of Jura.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23331456
  • Reply 9 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    crosslad wrote: »
    Google maps wipes out Scottish island of Jura. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23331456

I think there was some other tiny island near Greece that's missing in maps too (altho like in this case the road(s) can be seen) but appears when the satellite layer is active.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I don't need it.  I could not care less.

Keep Google spying apps off of you iOS devices.

iOS will not let it access your contacts/calendar/location without permission... If you must use Google Apps, iOS is the safest way.

• Reply 11 of 43
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

Integrated car, transit, bike and walking directions make it a killer app for me. 

I want Apple Maps to be a worthy competitor to keep Google on its toes, but its car-centric focus is a hopelessly outdated approach. It would have been acceptable in 1995, but not 2013.

I'm not finding and downloading a new helper app every time I travel to a new place. I'm not keeping track of which helper apps can deal with the city I'm in. I'm not learning an entirely new map UI when I go to a new city. I'm not switching back and forth between Apple Maps and helper apps every time I want to a new set of directions. 

Yes, it takes some extra work to update the latest timetables from every transit agency in a country, but it's nothing compared to constantly updating the existence or non-existence of roads and highways in every nation on Earth. 

So, don't use Apple Maps. Do you think anyone cares?

You can't expect Apple to have all this data and information after only a year, when it's taken Google over a decade to build its database. Apple's maps will get there, but it takes actual usage for it grow.

You stick with Google and give up your personal life... I'll stick with Apple and help them work to build a better alternative.

• Reply 12 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    crosslad wrote: »
    Google maps wipes out Scottish island of Jura. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23331456

Apple Maps might send you to your death, but Google Maps say you never even existed to begin with. :lol:
  • Reply 13 of 43
    mp1963mp1963 Posts: 17member

Not one new feature in this "new" app.. maybe the UK will catch up with the rest of the world in the fullness of time image

• Reply 14 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

My ownership of a car renders the rest of your list obsolete.

PS I don't require walking directions to my car, it's down the stairs and in my garage.

• Reply 15 of 43
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    New Google Maps iPad 4 Retina Display

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/28450/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Old iOS 6 Apple Maps iPad 2 Non-Retina Display

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/28451/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

I wonder why Google Maps shows the sign as black?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Do yourselves a favor and delete the app, then re-download it so you'll get the option to turn off their so-called "anonymous" location tracking.

Oh, three of the five screenshots from the App Store are marketing fluff, not actual app screen shots.  And "expert Zagat contents"??? (Owned by Google).  But this was my favorite bit:  "Great deals from your favorite brands with Google Offers". 

The asshats at Google really are full of themselves, aren't they?

• Reply 17 of 43

Spot checking some local bicycling directions, all I'm getting is "No network connection" and "Cannot reach server" errors.  Good thing this is out of beta...  /sarcasm

Edit:  It can't even find the trailhead of a (very) popular local bike trail (though it does find the trail).  An inauspicious start, to say the least. 

Also, the time estimates on the bike directions seem screwy.  I wonder what they are using to calculate average speed and if that's configurable...

Also, w/r/t the trailhead issue above, I don't seem to be able to pick a starting location directly from a map, except by using my current location?  Not very helpful to plan a trip.  Someone set me straight if I'm missing something obvious, but this looks like it needs more work. 

• Reply 18 of 43
    The new Google Maps is an improvement over the prior version -- especially on an iPad.

As noted elsewhere, Google has generally superior search and POI data.

However there are some things I do not like:
    [LIST]
    [*] Google Maps [almost] demands that you turn on Location Services for it -- I do not trust Google with this
    [*] Often, Google Maps drops the existing search/display to demand Location Services -- requiring the user to re-enter the search
    [*] You must go through the slow (zoom out, pan, zoom in) and agonizing switch to Google Earth to get 3D imagery
    [*] Google Earth gobbles RAM
    [*] Google Earth has inferior 3D UI and presentation to Apple Maps
    [/LIST]

There must be a good reason that Google does not combine Google Maps and Google Earth... but I am missing it!
  • Reply 19 of 43

Bike directions also don't specify regular roads, bike routes, bike lanes, or bike paths.  Has anyone figured out if there is a legend for these maps?

• Reply 20 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wonder why Google Maps shows the sign as black?

That is the shadow.