Smartphone upgrades slowing as Apple is rumored to be prepping low-cost iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Even if they only ran iOS5 I doubt it would change the sales results much. The average consumer [unfortunately] just doesn't think to that level of detail before plopping down their money.

I dunno, releasing a new product with software ~2 versions behind current is not a good idea IMO. My kids have a couple of older iPod Touches and are keenly aware of the issues with some apps not working on older software versions. Besides apple is so "fragmentation" conscious I doubt they will want to release a new product that may sell very well and pull down their ios6/7 adoption rate stats. Release with latest software and cheaper hardware/casing with maybe lower margin and get those people into the apple ecosystem, eventually they will upsell them to the higher margin products once they're hooked. This is addiction 101.

• Reply 22 of 58
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Don't they already have a range of products?

High - iPhone 5 - $199+

Mid - iPhone 4S - $99

Low - iPhone 4 - $.99

I know that is with contract but my assumption is that most people, at least in the US, get them on contract.  They can always keep the iPhone 4 to sell off contract overseas for budget minded people.  Why make an inferior model to appease analysts?

• Reply 23 of 58
    dwarrendwarren Posts: 3member
    My thoughts on the reason for a "new low cost iPhone" is to retire the 4S this year, so there will be no [B]new sales[/B] of 3.5 in phones.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dwarren wrote: »
    My thoughts on the reason for a "new low cost iPhone" is to retire the 4S this year, so there will be no new sales of 3.5 in phones.

They're retiring the 4S this year regardless of the existence of a crap iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    timbit wrote: »
    I think the entire phone market is saturated. Now that everyone has one, phone sales will slow. It's the same in most electronic markets. People hold onto them for a few years (or longer in the case of tvs) so sales are generally slower.

Yes... everyone has some sort of phone now... but they will have to replace it eventually.

A person might keep a phone for 2 or 3 years... but people buy phones every day.

There will always be a HUGE market for phones.
  • Reply 26 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Don't they already have a range of products?

High - iPhone 5 - $199+

Mid - iPhone 4S - $99

Low - iPhone 4 - $.99

I know that is with contract but my assumption is that most people, at least in the US, get them on contract.  They can always keep the iPhone 4 to sell off contract overseas for budget minded people.  Why make an inferior model to appease analysts?

It doesn't have to be inferior, just cheaper. I'm not an analyst and I want 2.  It needs to be able to run ios7 and perhaps have similar hardware specs to an IP4S with perhaps a cool design but cheaper housing. That way they can have..

High: IP5S/IP6 

Mid: IP5

Low: IPCheap (new)

and move a significant bunch of folks up to fully featured IOS7. Time to retire the 4S/4 line.

• Reply 27 of 58
    patpatpat wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be inferior, just cheaper. I'm not an analyst and I want 2.  It needs to be able to run ios7 and perhaps have similar hardware specs to an IP4S with perhaps a cool design but cheaper housing. That way they can have..

High: IP5S/IP6 
    Mid: IP5
    Low: IPCheap (new)

and move a significant bunch of folks up to fully featured IOS7. Time to retire the 4S/4 line.

So what happens next year?

The way Apple has done it before was to design one phone per year and cycle it down the line each year.

But if Apple introduces a brand new phone in the "cheap" spot... what will they do next year?
  • Reply 28 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

The way Apple has done it before was to design one phone per year and cycle it down the line each year.

But if Apple introduces a brand new phone in the "cheap" spot... what will they do next year?

I guess we'll find out next year. I'm sure Apple have spent a lot more time than I have, thinking about this.

• Reply 29 of 58
    I guess we'll find out next year. I'm sure Apple have spent a lot more time than I have, thinking about this.

So wait... you were able to make a guess in your first comment.... but now you're all out of ideas?

;)
  • Reply 30 of 58

Quote:

So wait... you were able to make a guess in your first comment.... but now you're all out of ideas?

I'm saying what I want now/this year. I'm a consumer not an investor, so I don't really care what Apple decides to do next year. I would like to be able to get 2 of the new budget iPhones for my kids this September to solve my immediate problem and not have to even think about it again for another 2 years. I don't want an on-contract cheap IP4 or IP4S that doesn't support all the features of IOS7 and have my kids bitching about having old phones for the next 2 years.

• Reply 31 of 58
    I'm saying what I want now/this year. I'm a consumer not an investor, so I don't really care what Apple decides to do next year. I would like to be able to get 2 of the new budget iPhones for my kids this September to solve my immediate problem and not have to even think about it again for another 2 years. I don't want an on-contract cheap IP4 or IP4S that doesn't support all the features of IOS7 and have my kids bitching about having old phones for the next 2 years.

I was just kidding around with ya :D
  • Reply 32 of 58
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

A radical proposal. They update the diffrrent models each year, or 18 months or whatever is needed. And they can add a cheaper model. 

• Reply 33 of 58

Quote:

I was just kidding around with ya image

I saw the smiley in your comment so I got that :-)  Seriously whatever apple are doing can't come soon enough. I get an earful every day from the kids.

• Reply 34 of 58
    asdasd wrote: »
    A radical proposal. They update the diffrrent models each year, or 18 months or whatever is needed. And they can add a cheaper model. 

Nice!
  • Reply 35 of 58
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Personally I'm going to skip the smart watch I think it's will just be a trade off of usability but still be a sizeable chunk of hand furniture. But if they made a smart ring... now I'm interested. Imaging the convenience, at the end of a restaurant meal while I'm picking my teeth I could be simultaneously paying the bill. While combing my hair I could be remotely opening the garage door and have the car waiting with the engine already warmed. I love the future, it can't come fast enough for me.

• Reply 36 of 58
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Huh?  What wearable technology trend?  I see NO one wearing tech, aside from iPods and standard wristwatches.  Lovely that the analysts are now forecasting on phantom trends.

Google Glass, you say?  Right... it's the next Segway scooter.  Both users love 'em.

No one is wearing tech?

I'm not agreeing that the analyst forecasts are accurate (they aren't intended to be). But to say there is no wearable tech market outside of iPods and wristwatches is to wear rather large blinders.

• Reply 37 of 58
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Never mind how it looks, I'm way more curious as to what's inside of this cheaper iPhone. Will it always be updated to use last gen chipset, or a separate line of lower performance, cheaper chips (seem unlikely)? Will it be 8GB only, is it more like an ipod touch with phone features, fixed sim card, like the recent video of the buttonless low cost iphone seem unreasonable. Will it be cheaper because the design is easier to assemble?

Wasn't there some component shortage rumor recently about touch screen coating affecting 5s production or whatever? Obviously if there were any shortage, the available components will go first to the flagship line up. I recall reading rumors of a low cost iphone way back in the iphone 4 days, possibly as early as 2010. I get the feeling we are just going to hear about it.

• Reply 38 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Personally I'm going to skip the smart watch I think it's will just be a trade off of usability but still be a sizeable chunk of hand furniture. But if they made a smart ring... now I'm interested. Imaging the convenience, at the end of a restaurant meal while I'm picking my teeth I could be simultaneously paying the bill. While combing my hair I could be remotely opening the garage door and have the car waiting with the engine already warmed. I love the future, it can't come fast enough for me.

Or you might accidentally pay someone's bill while trying to pick your nose.

• Reply 39 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

And a larger screen.

• Reply 40 of 58
    AT&T isn't helping matters by pushing upgrade eligibility out to 24 months. I was set to upgrade this fall but was pushed to spring. By that point I'll likely just wait for the iPhone 6.