Rumor: Apple ramps iOS device chip orders, in talks with LG over 4K displays

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Two rumors regarding Apple's supply chain activities surfaced on Wednesday, one claiming the company has recently stepped up IC orders, while another has the company in talks with LG over "Ultra HDTV" screens.

Render
Render of Apple's supposed low-cost "iPhone Lite."

Citing unnamed sources, the sometimes reliable Taiwanese publication DigiTimes reports Apple's microchip suppliers are seeing an increase in orders, suggesting a new product launch is in the offing.

According to the publication, Apple's chip orders for the third quarter are almost double that from quarter two. Further, sources claim IC shipments will grow "significantly" throughout the second half of 2013 to account for as much as 70 percent of the company's total orders for the year.

While the purported spike in chip orders does not necessarily equate to the debut of new products, the growth comes after a slow period that saw the tech giant reduce parts orders from the fourth quarter of 2012 to the first quarter of 2013, sources said. For example, these people claim iPhone component orders fall to 20 million units per quarter during the six-month interval. The publication did not specify which components or suppliers were affected.

With the much-rumored launch of the so-called "iPhone 5S," "iPhone Lite," and a new iPad, IC shipments are predicted to hit 40 million units for the third quarter.

In a separate report, the hit-or-miss publication said a rumor making the rounds in Asia has Apple in talks with South Korea's LG Display over the purchase of 55- and 65-inch "Ultra HDTV" panels. Sharp is also reportedly being considered as a supplier for the high-resolution displays.

While it is unknown what product Apple is planning for the panels, the project remains in the testing phase, meaning no deals have been made.

Televisions using these screens, sometimes referred to as "4K" displays, are just now hitting the consumer market from major industry players Samsung, Sony, and Sharp.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    The ARM chip is used in every device that needs a CPU except the Mac.
    With different iPhone, iPad, iPods, AppleTV models on the way, it makes sense.

If they can come up with a reasonably priced 4K TV set they would own the Market.
    It would essentially be a large 4K screen with an AppleTV integrated. No UHF and VHF antennas needed. It's like an extra large iOS/ARM based iMac. 8-)
  • Reply 2 of 46
    palex19palex19 Posts: 18member
    No content yet for 4K screen.

However it can be the new Thunderbolt Display. You would need it for your new mac pro in fall. So you can keep your desk "Apple Only".

• Reply 3 of 46
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While it is unknown what product Apple is planning for the panels, the project remains in the testing phase, meaning no deals have been made.

30 inch 4K Thunderbolt Displays for the new Mac Pro?

In a convenient three-pack?

• Reply 4 of 46
    pinolopinolo Posts: 91member
    Except the article says 55 to 65 inches. So, unfortunately, no 30" 4K cinema display...
  • Reply 5 of 46
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Wait. Hold up.

"the sometimes reliable Taiwanese publication DigiTimes"

Really? If "sometimes" now means "almost never, ever" then I agree. Otherwise ...
  • Reply 6 of 46
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Hasn't every movie shot in the last few years been 4K? Doesn't Apple have the largest online movie store?
  • Reply 7 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palex19 View Post

No content yet for 4K screen.

However it can be the new Thunderbolt Display. You would need it for your new mac pro in fall. So you can keep your desk "Apple Only".

Yeah, 4k content is a while off.  And I'm not sure what the real benefit would be for the "average" viewer.  I guess sports would be really cool.

But as has been said many times, it's interesting that 4k was mentioned more than once in relation to the Pro, so I assume *something* is happening.

• Reply 8 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Hasn't every movie shot in the last few years been 4K? Doesn't Apple have the largest online movie store?

Not even close.

Heck, "Black Swan" was shot on 16mm.  

• Reply 9 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

If they can come up with a reasonably priced 4K TV set they would own the Market.

It would essentially be a large 4K screen with an AppleTV integrated. No UHF and VHF antennas needed. It's like an extra large iOS/ARM based iMac. image

Apple as a middle man would just raise the cost needlessly, not to mention LCD/LED displays already offer much worse price/performance than a plasma display from Panasonic (in some cases Samsung). [42"~65"]

Apple charges $1000 for their 27" display that uses the same LG panel as a $390 monoprice display. Just imagine how much an Apple TV would be marked up.

Until OLED becomes a viable option, I'll stick to my PRO-111FD Elite Kuro as my primary display.

• Reply 10 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

It would essentially be a large 4K screen with an AppleTV integrated. No UHF and VHF antennas needed. It's like an extra large iOS/ARM based iMac. 8-)

Without an antenna it would be a big fail. In fact one big issue with Apples current displays is the lack of alternative inputs.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    aaronj wrote: »
    Wait. Hold up.

"the sometimes reliable Taiwanese publication DigiTimes"

Really? If "sometimes" now means "almost never, ever" then I agree. Otherwise ...

You really need to read it on a regular basis to grasp the publication. Often what is quoted as fact by The rumor mills in the USA is not how it is presented at DigiTimes.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

It would essentially be a large 4K screen with an AppleTV integrated. No UHF and VHF antennas needed. It's like an extra large iOS/ARM based iMac. image

It's probably for the new Mac Pro since it will drive 3 of them right out of the box.  That's my guess.

Will they eventually make a 4K TV?  Maybe next year.  Cross them fingers.

I'm interested in what size 4K panels they are looking at.  

• Reply 13 of 46
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member

Compression is already aweful on regular HD.

What will compression be doing to 4K content?

• Reply 14 of 46
    pinolopinolo Posts: 91member
    copeland wrote: »

I think fiber optic to home will be mandatory for 4k...
  • Reply 15 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by copeland View Post

I think they'll be using H.265 which is supposed to be better than H.264, but I haven't seen any comparisons on a 4K screen.

4K is still a ways away for being mainstream.   Look how long it's taking for people to get into 1080p.  I think Apple has a big decision ahead of them on whether to come out with 1080p TVs or 4K TVs.    I personally think they'll do 4K for the MacPro crowd first and come out with 1080p TVs and then get into 4K TVs.  Remember, there isn't much 4K content and a 55inch 4K TV is still rather expensive.

Sony is supposed to start releasing 4K content next year, but they only have so many titles they will release each month and there aren't that many people with 4K TVs.   it's still in the beginning stages.

• Reply 16 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

I think fiber optic to home will be mandatory for 4k...

When they put FIber, it gets converted to coax before it goes inside the house.    It's a LOT more than that. The whole food chain from production to the user has to be upgraded.

I think it's going to be more for BluRay players and then digital download.  4K over cable networks?  Not likely for a while.

• Reply 17 of 46
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    Getting tired of artist's concepts being given more status than that. The "render" of an iPhone Lite is nothing of the sort.
  • Reply 18 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

30 inch 4K Thunderbolt Displays for the new Mac Pro?

In a convenient three-pack?

hahaha. Yeah, I can see it now.  3 big monitors connected to something that's about the size of a hotel ice bucket.

• Reply 19 of 46
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    No 4K content?
    Hint: iTunes store.

Every single movie on film is 4K. Every single movie that have been scanned for digital market since early 2000 is scanned in 4K.

Delivery of 4K content is another thing. Most people don't have 100Mbit and even with H265 codec 4K movies will be 25-50 gig.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    drblank wrote: »
    When they put FIber, it gets converted to coax before it goes inside the house.

No it isn't unless your internet provider just uses fiber as it's backbone. Our house has a straight fiber optic cable that runs directly from the junction box to a D-Link 3780 router.

No coaxial nonsense going on here.