Apple's iPhone accounted for 51% of all smartphone activations at Verizon in Q2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Well forget Russia, all of the carriers have drop the iphone, thanks to Apple totalitarianism ways of doing business with the carriers. I complety agrees with the carriers, if I was them I would so tell apple to go take a hike.
    totalitarianism? Hyperbole much? Although I'm not surprised you would side with the carriers. ;). For me Apple calling the shots is one reason I own an iPhone. No carrier bloatware, no carrier logo on my hardware, carrier doesn't dictate when I get software updates. Doesn't bother me one bit that Apple basically treats them like a utility.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    More useless figures for Apple's iPhone. The only thing that matters to Wall Street is that Apple's global market share fell and Apple has sold considerably less smartphones than it did previously. Apple is still seen doomed as a company and the share price needs to fall a lot further. Google deliberately gave Android away to smartphone vendors to put a serious crimp in future iPhone sales. It would have been easy for Apple to sell many more iPhones over a longer period of time if the smartphone market didn't become totally glutted with hundreds of millions of cheap Android smartphones. The smartphone sales wall came way before its time because of Google's freely distributed Android OS. iPhones sales got totally choked off.

Apple will never again see quarters of selling 45 million iPhones because of Android device glut. 95% of Android smartphone vendors are making very little money and only Samsung appears to be benefiting but it irreparably damaged Apple's past and future iPhone business. I sure hope Apple eventually goes after Google's search engine business to choke off some of Google's ad revenue just for kicks. Give Google a taste of how it feels to have their main source of revenue hindered. Wall Street continues to give Google a free pass because it has no competition in market share. They need to get some serious competition as soon as possible.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Well forget Russia, all of the carriers have drop the iphone, thanks to Apple totalitarianism ways of doing business with the carriers. I complety agrees with the carriers, if I was them I would so tell apple to go take a hike.

I think that you're completely ignoring the positive aspects of Apple's "totalitarianism".

If it weren't for Apple being strong handed, then all Apple phones would almost definitely be filled up with carrier bloatware, junk software and the whole software updating process would be complete crap. And the carriers would put their ugly ass logos all over the phone too.

I am a fan of totalitarianism.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

totalitarianism? Hyperbole much? Although I'm not surprised you would side with the carriers. image. For me Apple calling the shots is one reason I own an iPhone. No carrier bloatware, no carrier logo on my hardware, carrier doesn't dictate when I get software updates. Doesn't bother me one bit that Apple basically treats them like a utility.

The problem is often not what you mention, but minimum number of sales over a period of time. And imo, Apple could bend on apps. Carriers should be allow to pre-install there app, so what? I have a carrier app that tells me my usage stats, I dont see whats the big deal on pre-loading it. Its better for the consumers imo, they wont have to dig it up the app store.

I agree that Apple needs to draw a line somewhere, like not allowing carriers to take over the home screen. But currently there no negociations going on, you do what Apple says or its nothing. Seriously, lets say you buy an AT&T contract phone and you have ONE folder called AT&T on the first screen...   They could fill it up to max capacity, so what?  This will backfire in there face at some point.

• Reply 25 of 52
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Statcounter suggests Europe is down, Australia, NZ is down.  China market share is stable.  iOS rising in Russia, Brazil, Japan.  So - not falling everywhere.  Not even close.

iphones sales are down in Japan... were are you getting youre info?
    iphones sales not doing good in brazil either, price is too high.

High prices in many countries have often quite different reasons than Apple pricing policy: import duties, telco monopolies, taxes, etc.

The move in Russia is more reflecting the fact that in many counties ppl are better off importing a (un)used phone through eBay than buying a expensive phone through carriers, particularly in markets that are prepay dominated, in which there are weak anti-trust laws (and competitors actually act in unison).
    iPhone is very popular in Russia for those who can afford it, but large sections of the population have buying power more like in a third world country than what Americans are used to have. It's also a country with a shrinking population, low birthrates combined with emigration.
    So the carrier thing in Russia won't affect Apple too much.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that you're completely ignoring the positive aspects of Apple's "totalitarianism".

If it weren't for Apple being strong handed, then all Apple phones would almost definitely be filled up with carrier bloatware, junk software and the whole software updating process would be complete crap. And the carriers would put their ugly ass logos all over the phone too.

I am a fan of totalitarianism.

Apple is a strong and firm negotiator. But to cal it totalitarianism is not just hyperbolic (I don't mean that disrespectfully), it is wrong.

Soviet totalitarianism, for example, included monitoring and control of the private lives of the citizens. Which system provides more means to monitor and track users - iOS or Android?

Let's face it, it's hard to ignore that association between totalitarianism and communism. Which OS is closer to communism? Certainly not iOS.

So, I'd argue if there is a totalitarian mobile OS out there, Android is a closer fit.

• Reply 27 of 52
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Only 51%?? Apple is DOOMED

zzzzz

• Reply 28 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple is a strong and firm negotiator. But to cal it totalitarianism is not just hyperbolic (I don't mean that disrespectfully), it is wrong.

Soviet totalitarianism, for example, included monitoring and control of the private lives of the citizens. Which system provides more means to monitor and track users - iOS or Android?

Let's face it, it's hard to ignore that association between totalitarianism and communism. Which OS is closer to communism? Certainly not iOS.

So, I'd argue if there is a totalitarian mobile OS out there, Android is a closer fit.

I don't disagree at all.

I used the word, because I was responding to somebody else who was using that word, and the first time I used it, I put it in quotes.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

More useless figures for Apple's iPhone. The only thing that matters to Wall Street is that Apple's global market share fell and Apple has sold considerably less smartphones than it did previously. Apple is still seen doomed as a company and the share price needs to fall a lot further. Google deliberately gave Android away to smartphone vendors to put a serious crimp in future iPhone sales. It would have been easy for Apple to sell many more iPhones over a longer period of time if the smartphone market didn't become totally glutted with hundreds of millions of cheap Android smartphones. The smartphone sales wall came way before its time because of Google's freely distributed Android OS. iPhones sales got totally choked off.

Apple will never again see quarters of selling 45 million iPhones because of Android device glut. 95% of Android smartphone vendors are making very little money and only Samsung appears to be benefiting but it irreparably damaged Apple's past and future iPhone business. I sure hope Apple eventually goes after Google's search engine business to choke off some of Google's ad revenue just for kicks. Give Google a taste of how it feels to have their main source of revenue hindered. Wall Street continues to give Google a free pass because it has no competition in market share. They need to get some serious competition as soon as possible.

Depends, if Apple enters multiple market segments this may changed. If they stay high end, they are painting themselves into a niche indeed.

• Reply 30 of 52
    The problem is often not what you mention, but minimum number of sales over a period of time. And imo, Apple could bend on apps. Carriers should be allow to pre-install there app, so what? I have a carrier app that tells me my usage stats, I dont see whats the big deal on pre-loading it. Its better for the consumers imo, they wont have to dig it up the app store.

I agree that Apple needs to draw a line somewhere, like not allowing carriers to take over the home screen. But currently there no negociations going on, you do what Apple says or its nothing. This will backfire in there face at some point.
    Sorry, I don't want carrier bloatware on my phone. I want them to be just like my ISP - basically invisible.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Statcounter suggests Europe is down, Australia, NZ is down.  China market share is stable.  iOS rising in Russia, Brazil, Japan.  So - not falling everywhere.  Not even close.

StatCounter shoes iOS very stable in the EU and Australia. Given the growing markets, that would mean increased sales.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Apple will never again see quarters of selling 45 million iPhones because of Android device glut.

You do realize the end of the world was Dec 21 2012 and not 2013. Now you might mean that 55-60 million next Dec quarter is not 45 million but I doubt it.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    amazing, considering verizon does everything they can to keep people away from the iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Do you get tired of posting your exaggerated rants?

We understand, you bought AAPL when it was high, and got burned on the way down. And you blame Tim Cook.

• Reply 35 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

And get ready for the lower cost iPhone, 4S at $0, 5 at $99, and the 5S launch. In addition, the repeat purchases from the initial launch of the iPhone on Verizon

I see a real chance for Apple's share at Verizon to hit 60% in next 6 months

I think they'll drop the 4S and use the new polycarb case iphones as the $0 entry phone. That way all the iPhones sold from here on will have 4" screens.

• Reply 36 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Its half of the story, this confirms the iphones is still doing well in the US. Problem is every sales stats outside the US all points to lower iphone sales YoY. When the US does good, Canada and UK also do good.  Those 3 are a nice chunk of the total sales, we may even out on average.  Last year number and this quarter consensus is 26 millions.

We are still a long way down, in past years people were wondering if the iphones beated by 30% or 50%, today people are worried they wont make last year numbers.

The high-end smartphone market is becoming a mature market, thus growth rates are slowing. But it's still a cash cow that can be milked for a long time.

Good thing Apple hedged their bets with that whole "iPad" thing. 

I don't know why WS freaks out that Apple isn't growing as fast as it once did. It was never valued as a growth company.

• Reply 37 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I think they'll drop the 4S and use the new polycarb case iphones as the $0 entry phone. That way all the iPhones sold from here on will have 4" screens.

It might use a hybrid of 4S and iPod touch internals though. Probably the Touch's 4" screen.

Will it get LTE?

• Reply 38 of 52
    0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

StatCounter shoes iOS very stable in the EU and Australia. Given the growing markets, that would mean increased sales.

And don't forget: StatCounter only counts iPhones as iOS in mobile OSes. The iPad is counted separatly and put in with the desktop OSes (as "iOS" there as well). So the total iOS user count is actually better than the graph in StatCounter shows.

Another thing with StatC: They don't weigh the countries, just put in the results for all of, let's say, Europe. But they have extremely high count of nodes in a country like Turkey (with low iOS adoption) and relatively few in countries like France and Italy with high iOS rate. So "worldwide" and "regional" stats will be scewed a bit. Separate country stats are OK though.

• Reply 39 of 52
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I wonder how they count those 'activations' if you activate a phone, return it, and activate a second phone.

Good question.  It's probably two activations.

More importantly, carrier activation counts include hand-me-down and resold phones.

By including used devices, the numbers look more impressive.

• Reply 40 of 52
    kdarling wrote: »
    Good question.  It's probably two activations.

More importantly, carrier activation counts include hand-me-down and resold phones.

By including used devices, the numbers look more impressive.
    But it's still an apples to apples comparison in terms of YOY growth. It's not like Verizon is including numbers now that they didn't a year ago this quarter.