Not being able to post (in some places) because I didn't (don't) have access to my old account, made

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014

I believe this is the place to put this, because this is direct feedback in my experiences with the site.

Also, I am going to say this is indeed a second account, my original one was made over 5 years ago, and the last I used would be a little over 3 years ago.  In addition I feel Tallest Skil abused his power by taking up something which from my understanding should be only between mods and the users that it affects and making it public.  Oh, and not letting my publicly respond unless he sees it (can he edit it? I don't know).

I made a post http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158472/nokia-lumia-1020-hardware-lags-behind-while-microsoft-struggles-to-update-windows-phone/40 (Which would come after Tallest Skil's post, and reply to it) and the post has now been 12 hours since I "posted it" and I would understand that.  Given that all my posts are under admin/mod consideration due to this being a second account.

Except I can post on other threads.  This makes no sense.

Yet, I cannot make a public reply to a public insult (as I see it) that a moderator is throwing at me.

I cannot get that post that I wrote currently, I don't even know if it was denied or is just sitting in limbo.

However, I am quite concerned over the fact that I am being punished for not having access to an account that I have not used in at least three, do not know the name of. In addition, since then my email address has changed (twice).

I would like to request my posts get unfrozen in that thread, or all my posting ability gets frozen.  I just want some consistency.  I am willing to spend time to try to get to my old account, but I don't think that anyone will want to spend the time who is in a position of power on the forums.

Also, there is no place that I can find where I can view the moderators, which is slightly annoying when it comes time to try to find someone whom I can bring my case to easily.  

I certainly hope that Tallest Skil is not the chief mod (who is? Where can I see who the head mod is??), because he just made a post in a forums about my old account instead of trying to do something productive about it.

All in all, I am annoyed by what seems to be a flaunting of mod power as well as a lack of care for what is happening and inconsistency.

In addition, I have no clue where to post this, as I don't exactly see a category or process to work through this stuff.

Hoping to get this resolved one way or another

-QAMF

P.S. I apologize for anything that seems badly worded, I am typing this right before I go to sleep and would ask if anything seems confusing to please ask me so I can clarify.  Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="QAMF" url="/t/158519/not-being-able-to-post-because-i-dont-have-access-to-my-old-account#post_2362902"]
    I made a post and the post has now been 12 hours since I "posted it" and I would understand that.[/QUOTE]

Huh! It's entirely possible Huddler just introduced a Coventry analogue, but that seems slim, particularly since your account doesn't warrant it. You posted it, it went through, but it didn't show up?

[QUOTE]Given that all my posts are under admin/mod consideration due to this being a second account.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's not the case; don't worry about that. There's no active "approval" process.

[QUOTE]Except I can post on other threads.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'd say then that it's Huddler's 'block from thread' feature, where a specific user can be blocked from posting in a specific thread. But again, I don't see why you'd be blocked. [B]OH! Wait, I get it.[/B] Defensio (the automatic spam filter) must have seen your account, seen that it was on the same IP as your old one (maybe?), and automatically filtered.

Can't believe it took me that long to remember it does that. I'm sure that's all it is.

[QUOTE]Yet, I cannot make a public reply to a public insult (as I see it) that a moderator is throwing at me.[/QUOTE]

Insult? Moderator?

I'm just saying we don't allow multiple accounts. We're open to helping people get access back to their old accounts, though! PM Melgross or Marvin about that, though I think it might take an admin to manually wipe an old password (you don't remember the e-mail address you used with it? Melgross and Marvin can help with that, at least, to reset it yourself). If you can provide proof of ownership of the old account, they can give you the e-mail address used to create it, and from there you can reset your password.

[QUOTE]Also, there is no place that I can find where I can view the moderators, which is slightly annoying when it comes time to try to find someone whom I can bring my case to easily.[/QUOTE]

We used to have a page set up for that... Rather, there was a template page in Huddler for that, but ours never showed anyone. As of now it's Melgross and Marvin as active mods, but if you give Kasper or what's his name... a ring, they might get back to you.

[QUOTE]I certainly hope that Tallest Skil is not the chief mod (who is? Where can I see who the head mod is??), because he just made a post in a forums about my old account instead of trying to do something productive about it.[/QUOTE]

Were I still a mod, I'd help you get access back to your old account. As I can't, I just brought up that we don't allow multiples.

[QUOTE]In addition, I have no clue where to post this, as I don't exactly see a category or process to work through this stuff.[/QUOTE]

You're dead on for the subforum where this belongs!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    qamf wrote: »
    Also, I am going to say this is indeed a second account, my original one was made over 5 years ago, and the last I used would be a little over 3 years ago.

Your original account must have been on the old forum. The forum moved to a new hosting platform and isn't showing the old account. If you can remember the name or PM me your original email address, I can find it.

The posts on your new account are just hidden because the account is new and some get flagged as spam. After enough posts, this won't happen any more.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Huh! It's entirely possible Huddler just introduced a Coventry analogue, but that seems slim, particularly since your account doesn't warrant it. You posted it, it went through, but it didn't show up?

Oh, that's not the case; don't worry about that. There's no active "approval" process.

Okay, I'd say then that it's Huddler's 'block from thread' feature, where a specific user can be blocked from posting in a specific thread. But again, I don't see why you'd be blocked. OH! Wait, I get it. Defensio (the automatic spam filter) must have seen your account, seen that it was on the same IP as your old one (maybe?), and automatically filtered.

Can't believe it took me that long to remember it does that. I'm sure that's all it is.

Insult? Moderator?

I'm just saying we don't allow multiple accounts. We're open to helping people get access back to their old accounts, though! PM Melgross or Marvin about that, though I think it might take an admin to manually wipe an old password (you don't remember the e-mail address you used with it? Melgross and Marvin can help with that, at least, to reset it yourself). If you can provide proof of ownership of the old account, they can give you the e-mail address used to create it, and from there you can reset your password.

We used to have a page set up for that... Rather, there was a template page in Huddler for that, but ours never showed anyone. As of now it's Melgross and Marvin as active mods, but if you give Kasper or what's his name... a ring, they might get back to you.

Were I still a mod, I'd help you get access back to your old account. As I can't, I just brought up that we don't allow multiples.

You're dead on for the subforum where this belongs!

Well, basically, sorry about accusing you.... I remember you being a mod, barely.  And someone messaged me calling you a mod.

That was very silly of me.

And, why would it only ban my posts on one thread ???  That is the part that confuses me.

Thanks, sorry for trouble and needless insults.

-QAMF

• Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    qamf wrote: »
    And, why would it only ban my posts on one thread ???  That is the part that confuses me.

There's an automatic spam filter that checks the content of each post made by members with low post counts. These filters look for patterns and keywords commonly used by spammers and if there's a high enough match, it hides the post. Someone could make 5 posts that are formatted nothing like spam and then make one that is and the filter will hide that post. Spammers sometimes use this tactic in that they make very generic posts to begin with and then post the spam they really want on the forum.