Apple opens iWork for iCloud Beta to public, sends invites to non-developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Reports are coming in saying Apple is rolling out iWork for iCloud Beta access to non-developers, suggesting the company is offering the online productivity suite to anyone with a valid Apple ID.

iWork for iCloud

A number of AppleInsider readers have received email invitations from Apple to try out a "new iCloud feature" in iWork for iCloud, including non-developers. It is unknown at this time how many invites Apple is sending out, or how the participants are being selected.

Available for developers, including those with free dev accounts, since early July, iWork for iCloud is Apple's online productivity suite that offers up Pages, Numbers and Keynote in an experience optimized for the Web.

The service was first announced at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, and works with Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer.

iWork for iCloud
iWork for iCloud beta running in Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

A portion of the email sent by Apple's iWork Team:
We'll soon be introducing a new and exciting feature to iCloud. It's called iWork for iCloud and it's a suite of apps ? pages, numbers, and keynote ? that make it easy for anyone with an iCloud account create and edit great-looking documents, spreadsheets, and presentations right on the web.

We'd like to invite you to be one of the first to try it, so were giving you early access to the iWork for iCloud beta. All you have to do is sign in to iCloud on a Mac or a PC using the current version of Safari, Chrome, or Internet Explorer. Then just click on Pages, Numbers, or Keynote and you're off.
It appears that the service is nearly fully functional, with syncing and document imports intact. Apple has not set a release date for the final version of iWork for iCloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    canccanc Posts: 1member
    I didn't receive any e-mail(s) from Apple, but i can access beta.icloud.com with my non-dev Apple ID.
    FYI.

http://i.imgur.com/IdWHtdX.jpg
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Also those are screenshots from Google Chrome not Internet Explorer.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Just log into icloud.com, the new web apps are already there.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I'm looking forward to giving this a go.

If Apple can get the security right and an elegant balance of powerful features without compromising ease of use this could easily replace the Microsoft Office suite for a lot of corporate users. Office is really the only feather in their cap these days.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

No invite, but I logged into iCloud and the iWork apps were there.  Pages can import Word documents, and share as Word documents. Same with Numbers and Excel documents, and Keynote and Powerpoint documents! So basically everyone with an Apple ID has a free version of an excellent Word/Excel/Powerpoint compatible office suite in the cloud!  This is NOT GOOD for Microsoft!

• Reply 6 of 42
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Just log into icloud.com, the new web apps are already there.

Not for me. It just has a bar up above that says iWork for iCloud Beta coming soon.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Microsoft should be seriously concerned. Microsoft Office is a core business for Microsoft. A business which has been virtually unassailable until Google Docs and now Apple iWork for iCloud.

I have noted that many more businesses are offering BYOD for not only smartphones and tablets but computers as well. While the initial investment is high the total cost of ownership for Apple is becoming much more competitive all the time and may even favor Apple in many circumstances now.
    [LIST]
    [*] initial investment
    [*] anti-malware suite
    [*] hardware maintenance
    [*] productivity suite
    [*] operating system upgrades
    [*] productivity suite upgrades
    [*] lost productivity due to issues
    [*] support costs
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 8 of 42
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Non sequitor.

• Reply 9 of 42

Pretty freaking sweet. Anything to be more productive, is good in my book. 

• Reply 10 of 42
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Doesn't work from iPad. Sad really that Apple can't work out running the iCloud web site on iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Doesn't work from iPad. Sad really that Apple can't work out running the iCloud web site on iPad.

i read few days ago about the rumors of iWork and iLife apps to be free on iOS, if yes then i don't see any point it to be using from iOS Safari.

• Reply 12 of 42
    Why would you want to run the iClod version on your iPad when you can run the native iPad app?

Apple needs to get iWork app parity among OSX, iCloud and iOS,
  • Reply 13 of 42
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

i read few days ago about the rumors of iWork and iLife apps to be free on iOS, if yes then i don't see any point it to be using from iOS Safari.

I expect this would be true since this would massively drive hardware adoption in the enterprise. Curious that no pricing information was offered about Mavericks at the preview event. Perhaps they didn't want to tip their hat?

• Reply 14 of 42
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I expect this would be true since this would massively drive hardware adoption in the enterprise. Curious that no pricing information was offered about Mavericks at the preview event. Perhaps they didn't want to tip their hat?

I think its possible they would make iOS apps such as iWork suit and iLife suit free but i don't see that happening with OS X apps… i can be wrong though. 

i'm seriously locked in already with apple's eco system and what they are doing now with that i can see more n more people locking in. is that good or bad?

I can't wait to get live programming on the apple tv without the subscriptions… that would be cool. but i guess this topic is for other forum.

• Reply 15 of 42

Quote:

It's not meant to be used from the iDevices because you can create and access the docs with the iPad iWork apps. Use the iCloud if you have a PC or Mac (with no iWork programs) and you need to access the docs. 

• Reply 16 of 42
    A few grammar errors in that "invitation" from Apple, huh?
  • Reply 17 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

I think its possible they would make iOS apps such as iWork suit and iLife suit free but i don't see that happening with OS X apps… i can be wrong though. 

The iWork apps for OSX may or may not be free, but since you can access the apps for free on the iCloud the only reason to buy them is to access the programs without needing an internet connection. 

• Reply 18 of 42
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

I got the e-mail but nothing shows.

• Reply 19 of 42

Got the email earlier. I see the apps available. Pretty cool. Never put a Keynote together (don't have a mac) so that was new.

• Reply 20 of 42
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Really? Oh wait! I bought iWorks for the iPad.