Latest iPad-bashing Microsoft ad focuses on peripherals, new Surface RT price point

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
It seems Microsoft is becoming increasingly aggressive in pushing its Surface tablet lineup, and on Friday released a new ad targeting the iPad's lack of keyboard, USB slot and high cost compared to the recently discounted Surface RT.

Surface RT Ad

The commercial starts out with Apple's Siri virtual assistant saying, "Oh no, here we go again," referencing what has become an anti-iPad campaign Microsoft kicked off in May. Microsoft's latest spot once again breaks down the iPad's feature set, contrasting it with that of the Surface RT running a stripped down version of Windows 8.

First up is the Surface RT's built-in kickstand, a feature the iPad lacks unless users spring for a $39 for the polyurethane Smart Cover which doubles as a prop for the tablet. Next, Apple's decision to not include a USB port directly into the iPad's chassis was attacked. iPad owners can buy an adapter for $29 if needed.

One of the Surface RT's major selling points is the ability to connect a "real keyboard" to the unit via the magnetic bottom docking system. Here, of course, Microsoft uses small print to mention its keyboard-cum-cover is optional and tacks on $100 to the Surface RT's price.

Finally, the commercial ends in the same manner as previous Surface ads, showing the $250 price discrepancy between the two tablets.

Microsoft apparently worked fast to get out the latest Surface ad, as the company just this week slashed the price of its RT models by $150.

The Redmond, Wash., company is hurting after taking a write down of $900 million for the Surface RT, which has struggled to gain a foothold in the mobile market against stiff competition from Apple's iPad lineup and a bevy of inexpensive Android-based devices. As a result of the huge write down, Microsoft stock dropped by 12 percent during Friday trading, worth about $36 billion in market value, in the company's biggest drop since 2000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Won't work.

• Reply 2 of 104
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Won't work.

Agreed. It won't change the fact customers do not want Windows RT-based devices.

• Reply 3 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Embarrassing.
  • Reply 4 of 104
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

keyboard-cum-cover

Stay classy, AI.

• Reply 5 of 104
    swaylonswaylon Posts: 24member
    Ask Samsung, these tricks don't work. The average person has no need for a USB on the iPad taking up space and making it ugly (I do still think you're cure, Siri.) I would be mad if I bought the RT for $500 a week ago and now it's $350. The iPad is still light years ahead.
  • Reply 6 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Just bought a new Tablet, it cost $800, I had to buy a connector for my camera it cost $35 and an $80 leather smart cover.

I'm glad I bought an iPad and not some other POS pretender.

I was wondering whether to buy a "sold separately" keyboard, like Microsoft have in the fine print in the ad. 

• Reply 7 of 104
    don108don108 Posts: 79member
    "The commercial starts out with Apple's Siri virtual assistant saying, "Oh no, here we go again," referencing what has become an anti-iPad campaign Microsoft kicked off in May."

Actually, that should read, "...what has become a disastrously unsuccessful anti-iPad campaign..."
  • Reply 8 of 104
    go4d1go4d1 Posts: 34member
    Maybe if MS sold one operating system that worked instead of Home, Business, Ultimate, etc. I guess they want to give the user options to choose (a/k/a - get the shaft)
  • Reply 9 of 104
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member
    Not many want a keyboard on this type of device but for those that do there are options. If someone did want a keyboard and other interfaces, why get a Surface? Instead just get an Air or a Dell laptop, etc. Much better solutions than a tablet for that kind of access.
  • Reply 10 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaylon View Post

Ask Samsung, these tricks don't work. The average person has no need for a USB on the iPad taking up space and making it ugly (I do still think you're cure, Siri.) I would be mad if I bought the RT for $500 a week ago and now it's $350. The iPad is still light years ahead.

The average consumer could benefit from a USB port because it would make for a cheaper cord for charging and connecting to other devices as opposed to proprietary connectors which cost much more and get changed every few years.  Funny how the ad doesn't touch that though and instead opts for the additional storage argument (which is significantly weaker). 

Using a thumb drive to add additional storage to a mobile device signals to me that the mobile device itself is lacking in storage space.  My phone has tons of storage space and can act like a thumb drive when I need one.  The approach that MS takes in this ad just further proves how clueless they are when it comes to mobile computing.

• Reply 11 of 104
    tommy0gunstommy0guns Posts: 119member
    keyboard-cum-cover
  • Reply 12 of 104
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Stay classy, AI.

The term is correct, although possibly a double entendre.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cum

• Reply 13 of 104
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

I don't think that Microsoft was in that big a hurry. They knew they were in trouble a long time ago!

• Reply 14 of 104
    matt2matt2 Posts: 5member
    People don't need a kickstand right on there device. Many cases, including Apple's own Smart Cover and Smart Case, can stand the iPad up.
    There is no need for USB considering all of the cloud capabilities.
    A real keyboard is not better because the keys can not be changed by the software.
  • Reply 15 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

The term is correct, although possibly a double entendre.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cum

Guess it's just me that needs to clean up their dirty mind then.  image

• Reply 16 of 104

Quote:

The average consumer could benefit from a USB port because it would make for a cheaper cord for charging and connecting to other devices as opposed to proprietary connectors which cost much more and get changed every few years.  Funny how the ad doesn't touch that though and instead opts for the additional storage argument (which is significantly weaker). 

Using a thumb drive to add additional storage to a mobile device signals to me that the mobile device itself is lacking in storage space.  My phone has tons of storage space and can act like a thumb drive when I need one.  The approach that MS takes in this ad just further proves how clueless they are when it comes to mobile computing.

Charge/sync cables are pretty cheap for iOS devices, even certified MFi lightning cables so I don't see that as a huge deal (any more, not as much the case when the first Lightning devices were released). Now, if you lose one and need one right away in an emergency situation, they would likely be more (but even standard USB cables can be depending on where you go or the brand you get).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=iphone+cable

Perhaps the first of this series of adverts was a bit cute, now it's just getting old. I really don't think many are clamoring for a kickstand. If they are, there are plenty of third party add-ons for iOS devices, including very nice keyboard covers.

• Reply 17 of 104
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Wo, this is so terribly, terribly bad and misleading.  It skirts the border of false advertising.  

The price comparison leaves out the fact that you need to buy the typing cover extra for the surface, yet describes it as a major feature.  On the other hand one of the "major" points they make against the iPad is that it can't stand up, but if they included the iPad cover, of course it can.  Also, while they include the keyboard accessory for the Surface in order to say that it comes with a keyboard, they don't include or mention the fact that the iPad has a USB accessory that will make it read the USB stick.  It's completely twisted, purposely misleading and basically comparing Apple's to Oranges. 

• Reply 18 of 104

Quote:

Guess it's just me that needs to clean up their dirty mind then.  image

I don't think it's just you. I thought they were hinting at the device's capabilities to display pr0n :)

• Reply 19 of 104
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Stay classy, AI.

You just revealed yourself as someone who didn't do well in high school, is under 25-30, or both. 

Cool!  Now I can ignore all your posts. image

• Reply 20 of 104
    doe924doe924 Posts: 14member
    They should give Wondows tablets away free to people who buy Windows phones. Then drop out of the tablet business and fix Windows Mobile. Maybe pay some developers to design much needed apps. Tell Nokia to put the phones on diets and stop slandering the competition because it just makes them look weaker.