Apple developer website outage lingers for more than a day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An outage of Apple's Dev Center website has persisted for the last day, prompting developers to wonder when the online resource will return.

Dev

Numerous developers began to reach out to AppleInsider on Thursday, when the Apple Dev Center sites for iOS and OS X first went offline. As the outage carried into Friday, the number of developers concerned about the downtime only grew.

A number of developers said they can't remember an outage that's lasted as long as the one currently in effect. During the period, the site has displayed a message telling developers that it will "be back soon."

"This site is undergoing maintenance for an extended period today," the iOS and OS X sites read. "Thanks for your patience."

During the downtime, a number of developers also took to Twitter to discuss the unusual length of unavailability. Some developers voiced complaints that they have been unable to access the resources Apple makes available through the site.

"Pretty astonished that we're now beyond 24 hours of Apple iOS Dev Center maintenance downtime," Jonathan Ozeran wrote on Twitter Friday afternoon. "Haven't seen that before. #HugeInconvenience"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44

FYI, the reason why the site being down is a big deal to developers is because you need it to do some important tasks like creating new apps to deploy to testers, adding more test devices, updating expired development certificates, and updating app store information.  

I've been lucky that I haven't needed to add any new QA or client devices for my apps, but if I had a client waiting for a build to run, this would be a big problem.

• Reply 2 of 44
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Likely, the reason developer site is down for so long is because it takes a long time to upload the sample code that should have been available at WWDC.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    My guess: They took it down to update to a new version of XCode 5 to support the latest iOS and Mavericks SDK but then found a significant bug in one of those and had to hold mid-process.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    My guess - Apple is doomed!!
  • Reply 5 of 44
    I know for a fact that there is a new version of the bug reporting tool. It was online for a day or two before WWDC and then reverted to the old version. I would imagine they are bringing that online for an official release, and maybe upgrading some of the other tools for managing iOS and Mac App Store submissions.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Did they seriously use a drop shadow on that text?

• Reply 7 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    It has actually really set me back, I needed to download Xcode yesterday and couldn't, and still can't.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

It's back online now...

• Reply 9 of 44

Still down for me...

• Reply 10 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It has actually really set me back, I needed to download Xcode yesterday and couldn't, and still can't.

Funny, I downloaded it from the App Store last night to one of my reserve Macs.

• Reply 11 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

Funny, I downloaded it from the App Store last night to one of my reserve Macs.

PMZ is probably looking for Xcode 5 Developer Preview 3 version.

• Reply 12 of 44
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Are you a developer? You get Xcode from the Mac App Store now, not from the developer website. Just go there and download it.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    He is talking about XCode 5 beta not the one on the App Store.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Uh, you heard of torrents? It can easily be found. 

Also, you'd think they would have updated some of their online assets by now to get rid of stuff like the linen. It's not like it takes that long. 

• Reply 15 of 44
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

It's back online now...

Still down for me...

• Reply 16 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    techguy911 wrote: »
    FYI, the reason why the site being down is a big deal to developers is because you need it to do some important tasks like creating new apps to deploy to testers, adding more test devices, updating expired development certificates, and updating app store information.  

I've been lucky that I haven't needed to add any new QA or client devices for my apps, but if I had a client waiting for a build to run, this would be a big problem.

Maybe just maybe developers should realize what takes place when a web site goes through a major overhaul. It is one thing for Joe Blow not to understand the technology but developers really have no excuse and should be able to give Apple a reasonable allotment of time here.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

The only problem I faced with this was last night when I needed to information about an iOS 7 API. Then I remembered that I already downloaded support docs using Xcode. So it wasn't a problem.

Can you renew provisioning profiles and certificates with xcode or does it give an error since the site is down?

EDIT: Tried to create new profile in xcode and got "Request Time Out".. Seems the entire service is down.

• Reply 18 of 44
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe just maybe developers should realize what takes place when a web site goes through a major overhaul. It is one thing for Joe Blow not to understand the technology but developers really have no excuse and should be able to give Apple a reasonable allotment of time here.

Are you kidding me?  As a developer I know exactly how important up time is.  And why you need to have redundancy for availability.  You don't just bring a site down and not have a backup plan if deployment fails midway.  This is why Apple has a lot to learn to master cloud computing.

• Reply 19 of 44
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member

Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Are you kidding me?  As a developer I know exactly how important up time is.  And why you need to have redundancy for availability.  You don't just bring a site down and not have a backup plan if deployment fails midway.  This is why Apple has a lot to learn to master cloud computing.

And as a developer I am sure you understand that $h!t happens!

• Reply 20 of 44
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I am starting to suspect that there is more than site maintenance to this long outage...

It could be that a new DP release (due Monday) contains APIs that support unannounced hardware or software... Or, it could be related to Apple's recent purchases of mapping companies.