Apple says developer portal downtime will not affect program memberships

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As an unusually long maintenance for Apple's developer portal continues, the company recently posted a message on the service's holding page saying developer memberships set to expire during the period will be extended.

Dev Center

Reported earlier on Friday, Apple noted on its Dev Center that the website would be undergoing extended maintenance on Friday, though the portal has now been inaccessible to developers for well over a day.

The company has updated its "We'll be back soon" message, now saying the maintenance is "taking longer than expected." In response, Apple has extended developer memberships set to expire during the downtime.

AppleInsider first received word that the iOS and OS X Dev Centers were down on Thursday, effectively blocking access to developer tools made available through the site.

Apple urges developers who have questions regarding their account to contact dev support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Seems like they ought to extend everybody's membership for the length of the outage. If the service came back up at 3am Monday morning and my membership expired at 4, I'd be a little frustrated.

• Reply 2 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

This is highly unusual. I wonder if they have been hacked, and are currently cleaning the nasties out...

• Reply 3 of 45
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Apple is astonishingly bad at updating internet applications.

Many other companies' IT departments are able to swap working versions on the fly, and to quickly fall back to the old version if necessary.

Apple, instead, has server down time... even for their store.

• Reply 4 of 45
    Must be a big upgrade. :)
    Or they corrupted it and have to restore from backup.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Apple Developer Connection is horribly outdated. It still has portions of the UI going back to the year 2000.

• Reply 6 of 45
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Many other companies' IT departments are able to swap working versions on the fly, and to quickly fall back to the old version if necessary.

It is pretty strange that a company investing billions in a data center and cloud services can't manage to update apps on the fly. Google has migrated petabytes of data and hundreds of millions of users onto radically different backends with people hardly noticing, for example, when they launched the new caffeine backend for search, or when they migrated many of their services from one off storage to bigtable/megastore and now to spanner.

But you don't even need to be Google to do this stuff, as you say, even mid-sized IT departments know how to do high-availability migrations with no downtime.  I

• Reply 7 of 45
    This sounds like apple is no where close to finished, this also seems not major difference unless true above for most don't procrastinate
    arlor wrote: »
    Seems like they ought to extend everybody's membership for the length of the outage. If the service came back up at 3am Monday morning and my membership expired at 4, I'd be a little frustrated.
    I'd hope that all for that day were extended, but all people a little to much because $$ can be hurt if they do that.
  • Reply 8 of 45

My iPhone suddenly jumped out of the app I was using to the activation screen. From here it is impossible to reactivate it. It just says that the activation server is down. This is probably related.

Using iOS 7 beta 3.

• Reply 9 of 45
    Time for NSA-proof?
  • Reply 10 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I actually see this as a good sign. The idea is that this is a non trivial update.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    iang1234iang1234 Posts: 35member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I actually see this as a good sign. The idea is that this is a non trivial update.

I believe a non trivial update should be accompanied with a non trivial testing.

• Reply 12 of 45
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Still down. Like grains of sand through the hour glass, these are the days of our lives.

• Reply 13 of 45
    liupingliuping Posts: 34member

Quote:

Alerts go out all over the internet every time the Apple Store goes down. Rumours start flying about what's new, etc Why would that stop that practice it's (accidentally?) brilliant.

Now for the dev site, it' just lame...

• Reply 14 of 45
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    For the people who are waiting for the developer site to come back up, it's the weekend, go outside and do something, your app will still be there when you get back.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    I like that apple has server downtime, though not in the way you might think.

But it allows you to be sure the system is running on all cylinders so to speak and minty fresh.

I don't know how many times we've migrated things over and had it live while we noticed discrepancies over the next hours and days.

There's an inherent security in doing it "old school"

I'd rather it be done right than fast.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Does anyone have a link to the Command Line Tools for Xcode? I'm missing those :( and can't download
  • Reply 17 of 45
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

List these seamless swaps, on the fly, by companies with the size and complexity of Apple who have spotless records. I'm waiting.

Here is Apple's downtown relative to a year over year ratio:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/saas/0-1-downtime-is-more-than-8-hours-a-year/79

Being down a day puts you at 99.7%+ uptime. [They calculate it based on an 8 hour work day, but we'll do a single full-day].

• Reply 18 of 45
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the store thing is purposeful. The "The Store is being updated" gets everyone in a frenzy, and ups anticipation and excitement, as well as making it obvious there's some updates coming,  which is understandable. Personally I hope it never changes. I see it as part of Apple's identity. 

• Reply 19 of 45
    well hard time for developers.

checkout iWork http://ilicensed.blogspot.com/2013/07/iwork-for-ios-7.html
  • Reply 20 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by superjunaid View Post

Does anyone have a link to the Command Line Tools for Xcode? I'm missing those image and can't download

In Xcode preferences you can go to the download tab and have it download them if they aren't already installed. Its with the alternate simulator OS versions.