Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

Comments

• Reply 21 of 347
    Apple "did it right" the first time, and they just keep doing it "righter." X^D

The Surface fiasco deserves to be spread over the field like the rest of Microsoft's manure.
  • Reply 22 of 347
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Good article. But credit where it's due, I don't think Surface RT copied the iPad. At least not much in UI.
  • Reply 23 of 347
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Honestly, I've done a very small amount of research based upon your research.

Did they know it was an interview, or did you just suddenly force your way to a mic?  Did they disclose that they were interviewing you, or did you just speak to someone after everyone left and went to the product trial area?

I saw you there during this last WDC.  I even made it a point to shake your hand.

I never did see you in any of the developer booths after that.  Could be chance due to schedules.  I'm starting to wonder though...

This whole article could have been summed up in three sentences and two pictures.

Who are you Vadania? Daniel has been around for years and not only writes for AppleInsider but has his own website at http://roughlydrafted.com. CNET knows who he is, they also know how he feels and many times it's not what CNET wants to hear. It's also WWDC and trying to find anyone in that mass of bodies is impossible. I also have met Daniel and have actually talked to him when he presented at the company I retired from. His research and understanding of technology history is second to none. As for his sarcasm, I enjoyed it. If all you can handle is three sentences and two pictures you have a very short attention span, something that bothers me about people these days. All they can handle is a couple words before their brain turns off. Take a little time to understand what Daniel has to say so you're ready for Microsoft's next product release. CNET and almost every technology writer desperately wants something from Microsoft to sell, especially so they can keep their job writing about them, so they will do their best to promote them. Microsoft isn't helping by releasing garbage hardware and software. 

• Reply 24 of 347
    The Surface isn't an iPad copy nor a software copy. It's still a complex MS Solution. iPad = one part. Ultra book like the Air = 2 parts (Computer + screen) but the most complex thing is a Surface = 3 parts.

It's incredible but nobody else can deliver the most complex solutions but Microsoft. This dissatisfied customers and in the opposite Apple reduce reduce reduce!
  • Reply 25 of 347
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Energy Drink Corporation releases two beverages: ED RT and ED Pro. ED RT contains scalding horse piss, ED Pro rancid milk. Both are packaged in containers similar enough to cause confusion.

You might question how popular either would be, but certainly a consumer desiring the clumpy goodness of rancid milk would be upset at a tongue burned by scalding horse piss.

• Reply 26 of 347
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    Is complex supposed to be a good thing in your reference? I see it that MS doesn't know how to create anything that for the user isn't overly complex, mostly for no good reason. Consumers, and I mean all aspects of those consuming including corporate, education, individual, etc., inherently want things to work in a way that gets out of their way, not the other way around. Apple figured this out and MS is stuck making products and software that are anything but intuitive.
    The Surface isn't an iPad copy nor a software copy. It's still a complex MS Solution. iPad = one part. Ultra book like the Air = 2 parts (Computer + screen) but the most complex thing is a Surface = 3 parts.

It's incredible but nobody else can deliver the most complex solutions but Microsoft. This dissatisfied customers and in the opposite Apple reduce reduce reduce!
  • Reply 27 of 347
    huffcwhuffcw Posts: 53member

I may be in the minority, but after spending some time with Windows 8 have found myself really liking it. I spouted a lot of hate for Windows 8 until I actually gave a true and fair chance by actually using it for a bit of time (not just trying it for few minutes in a store). I have been gravitating to my Lenovo Twist laptop/tablet hybrid over both my iPad and MacBook a lot lately. And when I am on my MacBook or iPad, I miss some of the ways that the Windows 8 tile interface works (I know -- it's crazy, but once I got used to the interface it started to feel natural to me and then by mistake I try to do some of the same things on my other devices).

With all that said, I fully acknowledge the current shortcomings:

• I am using full Windows 8 - and would be missing some key programs and functionality I need on the RT version or by staying in the tile interface alone.  So until the Windows store is fully stocked with apps that provide the full spectrum of needed features in the tile interface, the platform will continue to feel like it has a split personality. However, with that said, it does provide more versatility than an iPad (can use it for things I previously had to put down my iPad for and reach for my MacBook to do instead).

• I am not sure about the Surface, but my Lenovo Twist takes a full six seconds to wake from sleep. Doesn't sound like a lot, but once you get used to the instant on of the iPad or almost instant on of the MacBook Air, those six seconds feel very long. Although once it does wake, it's just as snappy as any other device I have.

• There is more of a learning curve with Windows 8 compared to an iPad. Although, it's not as bad as most people make it out to be (if you have half a brain and give it more than two minutes, it quickly becomes easy and natural). Yes, I am someone who enjoys technology so probably have a bit easier time than the general population. But I did test this out with my 70-year old mother who is not tech savvy at all -- and just like me, after using Windows 8 for  a short amount of time, it felt easy and natural to her. While I do get calls from her from time-to-time for help -- it's no more frequent than when she was using an iPad and couldn't figure out how to change a setting or do something very specific on it. Ultimately she is happy with Windows 8 over the iPad because for not too much more money she has something she can use like a tablet but do things on she couldn't do with just an iPad. 

I still love my iPad and MacBook, but I have a place for Windows 8 in my house too. My kids end up using the Lenovo a lot too over the iPad because they were able to setup their own accounts and customize the tiles to what they like and the apps they want to use (as well as the colors, backgrounds, etc.) There isn't an option for multiple users on an iPad like this.

There is still a lot that can be done to make Windows 8 better, but the bashing and acting like it is not a viable option (or potential competition for Apple in the long-term) is ridiculous.

• Reply 28 of 347
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    What I like about this editorial is the accurate perspective of the time periods and the prevailing media views.

This is important as most people seem to have very short memories. Hard to believe it has been so few years since iPad changed the planet. Yet here we are looking back and in only three years the 'Post PC Era' is here. iPad is totally destroying the Wintel PC world.

Meanwhile, let us be really honest, Microsoft has never had a success with anything really, except its ripped off Mac OS. Plus, of course Office, another Steve Jobs product. Yes it has had phenomenal success with those two products, no question. Thirty years of milking Apple's IP.

The company deserves to go on this way, bleeding its ill gotten gains away trying to repeat its one successful formula, ripping off Apple's concepts. Not working too well though now is it?

May it be a slow, painful slide into oblivion. I can't wait to see Monkey Boy being interviewed in about ten years and asked how he managed to sail Microsoft into a chasm. Bon Voyage!
  • Reply 29 of 347
    rob53 wrote: »
    Who are you Vadania? Daniel has been around for years and not only writes for AppleInsider but has his own website at http://roughlydrafted.com. CNET knows who he is, they also know how he feels and many times it's not what CNET wants to hear. It's also WWDC and trying to find anyone in that mass of bodies is impossible. I also have met Daniel and have actually talked to him when he presented at the company I retired from. His research and understanding of technology history is second to none. As for his sarcasm, I enjoyed it. If all you can handle is three sentences and two pictures you have a very short attention span, something that bothers me about people these days. All they can handle is a couple words before their brain turns off. Take a little time to understand what Daniel has to say so you're ready for Microsoft's next product release. CNET and almost every technology writer desperately wants something from Microsoft to sell, especially so they can keep their job writing about them, so they will do their best to promote them. Microsoft isn't helping by releasing garbage hardware and software. 

Great post.
  • Reply 30 of 347
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm.

I find it quite humourous and enteraining though. It's not overused since the article is quite a lengthy one, so it's adequately spread out. I had a good chuckle.

Unfortunately, while the author clearly has a very good command of the English language, in that he is able to use just the right words to create clear mental images of the scenarios he is describing, what I find increasingly symptomatic about this article (and the others before it) is that it doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know. Nor does it offer an manner of in-depth analysis or insight. For example, it go to great lengths to gloat about how the RT failed, but doesn't really explain why. I have my own theories, but it would be nice to hear from someone else, in the name of promoting healthy discourse. 

• Reply 31 of 347
    abazigal wrote: »
    I find it quite humourous and enteraining though. It's not overused since the article is quite a lengthy one, so it's adequately spread out. I had a good chuckle.

Unfortunately, while the author clearly has a very good command of the English language, in that he is able to use just the right words to create clear mental images of the scenarios he is describing, what I find increasingly symptomatic about this article (and the others before it) is that it doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know. Nor does it offer an manner of in-depth analysis or insight. For example, it go to great lengths to gloat about how the RT failed, but doesn't really explain why. I have my own theories, but it would be nice to hear from someone else, in the name of promoting healthy discourse. 

I think DED would have to write a book to answer your more in depth request, maybe he has, I'd buy it. I think it is of value to keep reminding people, who seem to have very short memories, what just happened, at a relatively simple level. After all it is countering pretty simple negative attacks mostly. The sad thing is so few who should, will ever see it. I use Reader to send stuff from DED like this, to as many people i know, that worry Apple is about to go bust after reading CNET et al.
  • Reply 32 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

…this POS tablet deserves to be mocked… This was an obvious flop from the very beginning…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I understand you want technology to stand still. I suppose it makes sense on a psychological point of view.

I'd prefer that you looked at it through a different lens. Mine may have a bit more estrogen in it, but the more Microsoft spends on it's tablet the better the iPad will be in the future.

I think we should all cheer Microsoft on and encourage them to spend an absorbent amount of money researching what really does work.

I didn’t gather that Apple ][ wants technology to stand still, Vadania; you two do not seem to disagree; and I’d sure love to hear—objectively—how more estrogen could improve this discourse or an optical device.

The major points from both your posts are valid—to which I’ll add: someone within Microsoft needs the balls to mock things that are doomed to fail before they lose another billion dollars. Balmer’s presence as a primary public face of a huge, profitable company is embarrassing. How do they feel about their “iPhone funeral” now? This sort of crap absolutely deserves to be mocked, brutally; and scourged with biting, vicious sarcasm. But Microsoft doesn’t have a history of humility, nor do they display much ability to learn from mistakes—not even prodigiously expensive, ignominious defeats. Derision—even if it should become widespread—is unlikely to penetrate their shield of arrogance.

absorbent |?b?z?rb?nt / ?b?s?rb?nt|

adjective

(of a material) able to soak up liquid easily: drain on absorbent paper towels.

exorbitant |???z?rb?tnt|

adjective

(of a price or amount charged) unreasonably high: the exorbitant price of tickets.

• Reply 33 of 347
    vadania wrote: »
    I understand you want technology to stand still.  I suppose it makes sense on a psychological point of view.

I'd prefer that you looked at it through a different lens.  Mine may have a bit more estrogen in it, but the more Microsoft spends on it's tablet the better the iPad will be in the future.

I think we should all cheer Microsoft on and encourage them to spend an absorbent amount of money researching what really does work.

I think your lens is misted up ;) I'd point out that Apple have never needed any outside competition to spur them on. They are totally self motivated to do the best they can even to the point of competing with themselves and obsoleting successful products. I would also point out that anything coming from Microsoft would hardly do anything to help 'encourage' Apple's development teams ... more likely be a source of amusement but little else. :D
  • Reply 34 of 347

I didn’t gather that Apple ][ wants technology to stand still, Vadania; you two do not seem to disagree; and I’d sure love to hear—objectively—how more estrogen could improve this discourse or an optical device.

The major points from both your posts are valid—to which I’ll add: someone within Microsoft needs the balls to mock things that are doomed to fail before they lose another billion dollars. Balmer’s presence as a primary public face of a huge, profitable company is embarrassing. How do they feel about their “iPhone funeral” now? This sort of crap absolutely deserves to be mocked, brutally; and scourged with biting, vicious sarcasm. But Microsoft doesn’t have a history of humility, nor do they display much ability to learn from mistakes—not even prodigiously expensive, ignominious defeats. Derision—even if it should become widespread—is unlikely to penetrate their shield of arrogance.

absorbent |?b?z?rb?nt?b?s?rb?nt|
    adjective
    (of a material) able to soak up liquid easily: drain on absorbent paper towels.

exorbitant |???z?rb?tnt|
    adjective
    (of a price or amount charged) unreasonably high: the exorbitant price of tickets.

"how more estrogen could improve this discourse or an optical device."

I am guessing the 'lens' as seen through by a female, is the explanation for that oblique reference. I could be wrong but that's my best guess ... :D
  • Reply 35 of 347
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    iPad/iOS is instantly accessible. Although the Surface hardware is nice, the UX whilst appearing friendly with the tiles, lacks the common sense nature of iOS and Android, the latter which is similar to a desktop PC/OSX, whilst the former is basically, push button action! Touch one icon for this, another for that. No new user interface paradigm to comprehend.
  • Reply 36 of 347
    The tone of this article is a bit too condescending and elitist for my taste. I enjoy some of the articles on this site, but stuff likes this makes me wanna root for Windows and Android success just so this author would eat some humble pie. Apple pie??
  • Reply 37 of 347
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm.

DED's editorials are what I read after those of the king of sarcasm, the Macalope, at macworld.com

The sarcasm is entirely appropriate and deserved. Perhaps they could rate their stuff PG and your mama could set parental controls for you.

What's "mysterious" to me about Microsoft is why we haven't seen one "baldie's" head on a pike by now.

• Reply 38 of 347
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    Microsoft keeps going back to its me-too strategy because it worked before when it came up with Windows. Unfortunately it didn't use its force-its-products-onto-the-people strategy like it with Windows when it managed to convince businesses and computer makers to use it. Its the only way to get people to use their mediocre products.
  • Reply 39 of 347
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smshnick View Post

The tone of this article is a bit too condescending and elitist for my taste. I enjoy some of the articles on this site, but stuff likes this makes me wanna root for Windows and Android success just so this author would eat some humble pie. Apple pie??

HAH! The only thing worse than "rooting for Windows and Android" is sitting on the fence, spouting your psycho-babble "elitist" name-calling, and WONDERING whether you should start rooting or not!!!

"Condescending"? The only condescension I see is YOURS!

• Reply 40 of 347
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think DED would have to write a book to answer your more in depth request, maybe he has, I'd buy it. I think it is of value to keep reminding people, who seem to have very short memories, what just happened, at a relatively simple level. After all it is countering pretty simple negative attacks mostly. The sad thing is so few who should, will ever see it. I use Reader to send stuff from DED like this, to as many people i know, that worry Apple is about to go bust after reading CNET et al.

It doesn't even have to be a thesis. Simply cut down on the snark, and summarise the counterarguments to some of the more popular criticisms into a few bullet points. People like to point out how the ipad lacks true multitasking, has no ports, expandable memory, is closed, overpriced, requires expensive peripherals to connect to other devices, lacks mouse support (really?!?) and so on. 

Instead, the question everyone should be asking is " The ipad remains popular despite all these perceived limitations. What exactly is the rationale behind this?" For all the criticism, it is an undeniable fact that the ipad is selling, and selling well because it works great and clearly resonates with buyers. Yet the way everyone glosses over this point and hails every new tablet entrant as the next ipad killer, you would think we are either still in early 2010 or in some alternate universe where the ipad never became a success. 

What they fail to understand is that the ipad is so successful because it represents a holistic combination of software and hardware working together in harmony to create a great user experience for the consumer, and this matters more than simply being a laundry list of specs and features. I could go on, but I believe I would simply be preaching to the choir here.