Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

Comments

• Reply 41 of 347
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well that's just you. I like sarcasm, and this POS tablet deserves to be mocked and so does anybody who defended this POS tablet on this forum in the past.

This was an obvious flop from the very beginning and anybody who didn't see that is extremely out of touch.

Indeed.  I think this was a great article and the sarcasm was done very well this time.

IMO it came across more funny and less mean or petty, which is always a danger with sarcasm. 

I find that remark from Microsoft's Brian Hall abut the "flywheel of recommendation" especially telling.  It's tantamount to a direct admission that their products generally are small potatoes and rely on the inertia of market dominance to "get rolling" sort of speak. 

• Reply 42 of 347
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    DED, this analysis is phenomenally astute. Not only do you take off the gloves, as usual, the boxers are shuttled, the boots sit in the locker, and you speak with a roar that buries the apologetic, the weak of will, who shamelessly dare to prattle on in the language of dishonesty. This report illuminates the reality that Is Apple and the disingenuous rattle that is Microsoft and its kith. It sings out in high style with a light show to dazzle even the die hard troll. I had to wring my laughing towel out through the whole read and scared the wee lad from my knee, twice, but twice he climbed back on board, enthused by my mirth. (His nick name is 'The DED' and he is fearless.)

Continue to stand tall against the dearth of true analysts who lack the bollocks to look at facts and fight with you against the rabble who whine from their desperate dark caverns of contrivance to appease the weary and sightless naysaying troll. Keep up the great work that sets demanding standards for the fearless to follow. At least at AI honesty reigns and the strong rally on to hold back the tides of lies from the Uriah Heeps that plague the tech world of reporting. :smokey:
  • Reply 43 of 347
    I have to tell you that I just finished a medical residency & used my iphone for everything including word processing with pages & presentations with keynote. I presented lectures & projects created on my iPad and iPhone in auditoriums from my iPhone or iPad with an 8 pin to VGA adaptor. The only time I ever needed to use a PC was with legacy crap in flash that was in the institutions system. But just before I left, I saw residents running around with iPad minis using Citrix receiver to access all that windows crap at the bedside. So yea, it's over for windows unless there is a sea change and a focus on intense craftsmanship.
  • Reply 44 of 347
    "After getting its teeth kicked out by the iPod, the iPhone and now the iPad, you'd think the company would realize that it needs to stop repeating its me-too strategies that clearly don't work and try something new: focusing on what it's good at, rather than being a terrible copy of Apple."

I thought being, "a terrible copy of Apple," is what Microsoft is good at! It's been their M.O. since Windows launched!
  • Reply 45 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

The Surface isn't an iPad copy nor a software copy. It's still a complex MS Solution. iPad = one part. Ultra book like the Air = 2 parts (Computer + screen) but the most complex thing is a Surface = 3 parts.

It's incredible but nobody else can deliver the most complex solutions but Microsoft. This dissatisfied customers and in the opposite Apple reduce reduce reduce!

I tend to agree.  The Surface RT is slow, but it isn't that bad, and the hardware is weird (more of a hybrid laptop than a tablet at all), but it's fairly well built.  After playing with it a bit and listening to others remarks after they used it, I think it's exactly the fact that it tries to be two things at once that dooms it.  The whole Windows/Office part was a colossal mistake.  Without those design constraints, it could be a full, real tablet and operate in portrait as well as landscape mode.  Instead of being a crappy, slow small-screen laptop, it could have been a reasonably snappy alternative tablet.  When you are just using the Metro part, it's actually quite smooth and responsive.  

• Reply 46 of 347
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Microsoft just need to run their own race. Obsessed with beating their competition (and mocking them) they are losing each and every time.
    The recent try to be all in one on across all platforms was a bit like trying to boil the ocean - on mobile because it was baked full of promise as being windows when it's not and still be a chunky install. The desktop got lumbered with the metro screen and start screen. I'm sure the reason they are sticking with it is because of their App Store and the tiles the downloaded apps use. Blinded by simply viewing apple and racing without working out where they are going isnt right..,..and now Balmer's answer is rapid release ....or is that reactionary release..

I liked the idea of surface and Microsoft doing hardware, but it's just not thought out properly. those ads with the snap the keyboard and kick the stand dance routine were just manic...I know what they were trying to show, but it didn't work at all. Then having a strategy of dissing an ipad, the product that made the market and leading it very well makes them lose credibility. I thought they were funny, but better positioned as you tube wannabes poking fun at something that can't really be knocked. Comparing is probably the worst thing they could have done - delivering a better windows experience across devices would serve them better.
  • Reply 47 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

It could just be me but I think this editorial has more sarcasm than most and it somehow cheapens the points raised. I don't disagree with the article but in my opinion it comes across more as a fanboy rant rather than a sensible and intelligent analysis of the situation which it actually is.

Could you please point out the sarcastic statements in this editorial?

• Reply 48 of 347
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I look forward to the companion article on Google with Project Glass.
  • Reply 49 of 347
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Another thing, during the Surface announcement last July they spent most of their time talking about the design of the hardware, and very little about actually using the software. And when Sinofsky did use the software it didn't work.
  • Reply 50 of 347
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I tend to agree.  The Surface RT is slow, but it isn't that bad, and the hardware is weird (more of a hybrid laptop than a tablet at all), but it's fairly well built.  After playing with it a bit and listening to others remarks after they used it, I think it's exactly the fact that it tries to be two things at once that dooms it.  The whole Windows/Office part was a colossal mistake.  Without those design constraints, it could be a full, real tablet and operate in portrait as well as landscape mode.  Instead of being a crappy, slow small-screen laptop, it could have been a reasonably snappy alternative tablet.  When you are just using the Metro part, it's actually quite smooth and responsive.  
    But how does that compete with iPad and cheap Android tablets? Fact is the market place isn't hurting for tablets. iPad and Android tablets do what most people want so what would be the hook to get them to chose Microsoft instead?
  • Reply 51 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

DED, this analysis is phenomenally astute. Not only do you take off the gloves, as usual, the boxers are shuttled, the boots sit in the locker, and you speak with a roar that buries the apologetic, the weak of will, who shamelessly dare to prattle on in the language of dishonesty. This report illuminates the reality that Is Apple and the disingenuous rattle that is Microsoft and its kith. It sings out in high style with a light show to dazzle even the die hard troll. I had to wring my laughing towel out through the whole read and scared the wee lad from my knee, twice, but twice he climbed back on board, enthused by my mirth. (His nick name is 'The DED' and he is fearless.)

Continue to stand tall against the dearth of true analysts who lack the bollocks to look at facts and fight with you against the rabble who whine from their desperate dark caverns of contrivance to appease the weary and sightless naysaying troll. Keep up the great work that sets demanding standards for the fearless to follow. At least at AI honesty reigns and the strong rally on to hold back the tides of lies from the Uriah Heeps that plague the tech world of reporting. image

This is his mum speaking, right?  image

• Reply 52 of 347

Woah - i have been an Apple fan-boy since the late 80s as a kid, and have had large spans of contempt for many of Microsoft's business strategies and products, but i think it may be going too far to treat them as a bunch of bumbling stooges. Luckily for Apple, the market that they have nurtured has been far more fickle than they deserve and Apple's fan base has been a bit too dreamy-eyed, monied, and obsessive than any company deserves - but you are tempting the great worldly Karma forces by bullying them so, much deserved or not. I seem to remember a certain comment (legend or not) by a certain scifi super-star to/about a huge audience of starry-eyed geeks about their value as obsessed dorks in real-life relationships - and how passionate positive can flip to passionate negative without the benefit of neutral, common sense, or 10-second time-outs. We might be careful because Apple may become the new George Lucas, hated out of proportion more for his betrayal of something originally beautiful than ever loved for the timeless originals themselves.

• Reply 53 of 347
    Lots of great content here, but the thick sarcasm detracts from your story. Maybe I'm an officer in the fun police...
  • Reply 54 of 347
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Making second rate products and copying Apple is not advancing technology at all.

There have been MS tablets for years, so how are they copying Apple?
  • Reply 55 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But how does that compete with iPad and cheap Android tablets? Fact is the market place isn't hurting for tablets. iPad and Android tablets do what most people want so what would be the hook to get them to chose Microsoft instead?

I'm not saying it would have worked, but just that the thing that doomed it was the (probably enforced by Balmer from the top) inclusion of Office and Windows desktop.  As long as you stay in the Metro part it works okay, and it would have at least had as much chance as Windows Phone has against iPhone.  

This is sacrilege to Microsoft of course and probably wouldn't have ever happened because Microsoft won't ship a product that can't run Office.  If I was them however, I would have waited until Surface Pro was ready, released that as is, and at the same time released Windows Surface RT without Office at all, as a cheap alternative "tablet only" and "Metro only" device.  As it stands, all the Surface products are really hybrid laptops and Microsoft still doesn't even have a true tablet in the game.  

You are probably right that this would likely have been just a different variety of fail, but at least it would have been a sensible strategy and I bet there would be more sales and no need to discount it later. 

I would further guess that if the RT survives to a second iteration at all, they will do exactly that.  All it needs is an ARM front end for Office 360 (which they are building for iOS already) and they can dump the "legacy desktop" altogether.  

• Reply 56 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There have been MS tablets for years, so how are they copying Apple?

Those were essentially copies of the Apple Newton. 

• Reply 57 of 347
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Woah - i have been an Apple fan-boy since the late 80s as a kid, and have had large spans of contempt for many of Microsoft's business strategies and products, but i think it may be going too far to treat them as a bunch of bumbling stooges. Luckily for Apple, the market that they have nurtured has been far more fickle than they deserve and Apple's fan base has been a bit too dreamy-eyed, monied, and obsessive than any company deserves - but you are tempting the great worldly Karma forces by bullying them so, much deserved or not. I seem to remember a certain comment (legend or not) by a certain scifi super-star to/about a huge audience of starry-eyed geeks about their value as obsessed dorks in real-life relationships - and how passionate positive can flip to passionate negative without the benefit of neutral, common sense, or 10-second time-outs. We might be careful because Apple may become the new George Lucas, hated out of proportion more for his betrayal of something originally beautiful than ever loved for the timeless originals themselves.

This guy?

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 58 of 347
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post

Now, what is strange is that so few pundits will do that. All the tech press should be out with pitchforks on the RT, but . . . nothing !

Tried Google?  Searching for "Windows RT failure" turns up more than 5 million hits:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+RT+failure

• Reply 59 of 347
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The whole point of a vacation though, is not to do any work, and let yourself recharge. I also took only my iPad on my last holiday. But try using it as your only computing device during work time...

I wonder if this article was written on an iPad....

• Reply 60 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Another thing, during the Surface announcement last July they spent most of their time talking about the design of the hardware, and very little about actually using the software. And when Sinofsky did use the software it didn't work.

Yeah, that was a cringeworthy moment for sure.  I thought Sinofsky looked like scared, like he knew that the product wasn't ready and was likely to fail.  Then it did!