Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

Comments

• Reply 121 of 347
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    markbriton wrote: »
    I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm.

I'd prefer more knowing what you dislike.
    ombra2105 wrote: »
    +1

We have a button for this.
    smshnick wrote: »
    The tone of this article is a bit too condescending and elitist for my taste. I enjoy some of the articles on this site, but stuff likes this makes me wanna root for Windows and Android success just so this author would eat some humble pie. Apple pie??

Or maybe you could just go find a website that talks about thinks you don't hate, you useless drive-by.
    juxtapose wrote: »
    Lots of great content here, but the thick sarcasm detracts from your story. Maybe I'm an officer in the fun police...

Or maybe you're just a guy creating multiple one-post accounts to make it seem like anyone shares your (mysteriously equallyincorrectly-worded) opinion.
    abiggerkid wrote: »
    They're nailed multi-tasking in a touch environment.

lol.
  • Reply 122 of 347
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bullhead wrote: »
    what did their tablets look like before the iPad?  And what do they look like after the iPad?

Like tablets
  • Reply 123 of 347
    don108don108 Posts: 79member
    Never underestimate the bullheaded determination of Microsoft. Windows 1 came out in 1981. It was a disaster. Nobody wanted it. The same was true of Windows 2 in 1987. Windows 3, in 1990, was better, but the first version of Windows that people actually started to use was 3.1, in 1992. So Microsoft was willing to work on a failing product for over 10 years before it became useful and profitable. They've already spent more than that long on their original tablet OS. They'll continue to spend money on it until it actually catches on or until Ballmer runs the company into bankruptcy.
  • Reply 124 of 347
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smshnick View Post

The tone of this article is a bit too condescending and elitist for my taste. I enjoy some of the articles on this site, but stuff likes this makes me wanna root for Windows and Android success just so this author would eat some humble pie. Apple pie??

For years, Apple was on the receiving end of elitist rhetoric. We had people like Dell calling for Apple to shut down and give the money back to shareholders. We had Steve Ballmer derisively dismiss the iPhone as being too expensive. When the iPad came out, everyone and their mother was racing to declare it an utter failure, calling Apple stupid for making it look like a "giant iPod Touch." People lampooned the iPad name ruthlessly, with a reference to female personal hygiene products. Did you read any of those articles? If so, did you find them so condescending and elite that it made you want to root for Apple just so those authors would eat some humble pie?

• Reply 125 of 347
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bullhead wrote: »
    flopped?  huh?  Right now Sony is selling the most games. the most hardware. the most everything.  Do you have a better source than VGChartz?  Please share where you got your information.  The only flop right now is Nintendo with the Wii U

Go to the last paragraph.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-09-idc-game-consoles-discs-to-remain-revenue-mainstays-for-years-to-come
  • Reply 126 of 347
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

Never underestimate the bullheaded determination of Microsoft. Windows 1 came out in 1981. It was a disaster. Nobody wanted it. The same was true of Windows 2 in 1987. Windows 3, in 1990, was better, but the first version of Windows that people actually started to use was 3.1, in 1992. So Microsoft was willing to work on a failing product for over 10 years before it became useful and profitable. They've already spent more than that long on their original tablet OS. They'll continue to spend money on it until it actually catches on or until Ballmer runs the company into bankruptcy.

One thing, however: Windows was subsidized by Microsoft's huge DOS business. Windows then tried to subsidize a variety of pen, tablet, clamshell PDAs, watches, screens, auto integration and various other things that have never taken off. Through the 2000s, Microsoft had tons of cash to waste in paying for the next big thing, but failed over and over. 

Problem is, the cash cow of Win PCs is now drying up. Microsoft doesn't make most of the profits of the industry anymore, so it can't fritter away money on projects forever. So it's now more quickly killing things like the Zune and KIN.

It's now Apple's turn to spend cash on new projects. What has it done: Apple TV, iAd, iPod touch gaming, iCloud, Maps, iOS Auto integration and lots of other stuff that critics have laughed at derisively but which are sustainably making money, despite being "just experiments." 

So if you look at the future of Surface RT, it's much less compelling than one of Apple's "hobbies." Meanwhile, Apple has more new billion dollar businesses cranking out cash.

• Reply 127 of 347
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    ombra2105 wrote: »
    +1
    -1 turn up the sarcasm. They deserve it. Incompetent fools.
  • Reply 128 of 347
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Not
    rogifan wrote: »
    How about Microsoft making simplified touch versions of Office and selling them on App Store and Google Play? Office is the product line that brings in the most revenue for Microsoft these days. Of course doing that would mean they're willing to screw Windows. But as it is right now people are buying iPads and Android tablets over Windows offerings. At least this way Microsoft could get some Office subscription revenue. Now they get nothing. Perhaps it will happen with this new org structure as Windows and Office will no longer be competing with each other.

Can someone enlighten me on the benefit of office? I used to use office for Mac to open docs people sent but now just open them in pages by default. It works great. Ditto for numbers. Not to mention if the iWork's cloud turns out to be half decent, it seems office for Mac will be irrelevant.
  • Reply 129 of 347
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    I agree, I think this article says more about the author than about Microsoft.
    I'm no Microsoft fanboy (never was) - and I'm not sure wether I still am an Apple fanboy, but this article is - I'd even call it childish and dishonorable to a good writer.
  • Reply 130 of 347
    I'd prefer more knowing what you dislike.
    We have a button for this.
    Or maybe you could just go find a website that talks about thinks you don't hate, you useless drive-by.
    Or maybe you're just a guy creating multiple one-post accounts to make it seem like anyone shares your (mysteriously equallyincorrectly-worded) opinion.
    lol.
    Awesome sarcasm to in response to trolls not liking sarcasm. Roflmao
  • Reply 131 of 347
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

Awesome sarcasm to in response to trolls not liking sarcasm. Roflmao

It's best not to feed the trolls.

• Reply 132 of 347
    sirdir wrote: »
    I agree, I think this article says more about the author than about Microsoft.
    I'm no Microsoft fanboy (never was) - and I'm not sure wether I still am an Apple fanboy, but this article is - I'd even call it childish and dishonorable to a good writer.

This might come as a shock to you but this site is an apple fan site. This "editorial" is the authors opinion. It's not supposed to be unbiased or politically correct or respectful of trolls, fan droids, or micro softies. As an Apple fan I absolutely loved it and love that people like you hated it. Thank you to the Author for actually saying what is on most apple fan minds and thank you for complaining.
  • Reply 133 of 347
    vadania wrote: »
    I understand you want technology to stand still.  I suppose it makes sense on a psychological point of view.

I'd prefer that you looked at it through a different lens.  Mine may have a bit more estrogen in it, but the more Microsoft spends on it's tablet the better the iPad will be in the future.

I think we should all cheer Microsoft on and encourage them to spend an absorbent amount of money researching what really does work.
    Ok I'm game. Which technological advancement did Microsoft make going from pre-ipad tablets to post-ipad tablets?
    How have they evolved in a positive manner?
  • Reply 134 of 347
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Mmm...

Typical DED rehash of what he disliked about MS over the years... with a few updates.

It is worth noting that the article contains 18 links -- 12 (or 2/3) of these are links to other DED articles.

Clearly he has a narrative to promote.
  • Reply 135 of 347
    richsadamsrichsadams Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

what did their tablets look like before the iPad?  And what do they look like after the iPad?

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/microsofts-long-and-tortured-history-in-tablets/266832-11.html

• Reply 136 of 347
    apple ][ wrote: »
    You obviously have a completely mistaken understanding of things.

Making second rate products and copying Apple is not advancing technology at all.

I am at the forefront of technology, using the best tablet in the world. I don't have any time for kickstands or people dancing around like morons or outdated operating systems that take up an obscene amount of RAM.
    Evolutionary products don't change fortunes, revolutionary ones do. Make a tablet which does not depend on windows and you may have something. Until that happens they will evolution their way into bankruptcy.
  • Reply 137 of 347
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

how does that refute my point?  Your link says the PS3 is outselling the Xbox360.  Not sure what you are trying to state.

• Reply 138 of 347
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Mmm...

Typical DED rehash of what he disliked about MS over the years... with a few updates.

It is worth noting that the article contains 18 links -- 12 (or 2/3) of these are links to other DED articles.

Clearly he has a narrative to promote.

I think you do DED a disservice. He has far more things he dislikes about Microsoft that what was written here ;).

Seriously though, I thought he was very reserved, selective and kept it to just what was appropriate. I promote his narrative too when and wherever I can. It's called the true history of micro computers since the late 70's to the present day.
  • Reply 139 of 347
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    snova wrote: »
    Evolutionary products don't change fortunes, revolutionary ones do. Make a tablet which does not depend on windows and you may have something. Until that happens they will evolution their way into bankruptcy.

"...they will evolution their way into bankruptcy extinction."

There, corrected that for you. :)
  • Reply 140 of 347
    huffcwhuffcw Posts: 53member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This reads like an astroturfing post.  I mean you cover all the points MS says to in their guidelines on it. 

- slight criticism of MS product just to show you're "fair" (but ensure to end or bookend each one of those statements with a positive.)

- slight praise of Apple's products (but be sure to end or bookend with slight criticism.)

- claim that "regular person" (grandma, kid) can use it and actually likes it

- overall impression is definitely "thumbs up"

- caveat that your a tech person (cause the audience will know anyway), that sets you up as "different," but also an expert (without having to say you're an expert)

- formatted in MS Word

In short, the humble but open-minded expert with the contrary opinion.  Barf. 

Listen - I have been a member of this forum a lot longer than you - and everything I posted about is absolutely true and honest to my experience with Windows. I may not post a lot, but when I have an opinion and I feel like sharing it, I do.  If you don't like the way I composed my post or phrased things, so be it. But don't try to suggest that I am not being sincere in what I am writing. There is no astroturfing here. 

I like to try everything and give things a chance. I find most things have both positives and negatives to point out (Apple products included). What makes me barf are fanboys (on any side) who blindly bash other company's products.