Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

Comments

• Reply 201 of 347
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member

This is not an editorial, it's a hit job opinion piece. This piece presents a lot of opinions as factual data with no source of validity. While I agree with some of your observations, this is poor journalism. The sarcastic tone does not help establish your topic that Surface RT was a failure. This editorial simply displays a level of fanatical "fanboyism" for apple that is usually not displayed in journalism. Again, you are entitled to your opinions and had this been posted under a personal opinion column I wouldn't think less of Appleinsider. Appleinsider is, after all, an Apple news and fan site. I am a very sarcastic person myself and can appreciate a well placed sarcastic quip to accentuate a point. There is plenty of empirical data to present that support the conclusions you posted as self-evident. Lastly, yes I am aware that an editorial is an opinion piece, one that is supposed to reflect the organization's position on a particular topic. If this is the level of editorial that Appleinsider wants to present to the world, I will look elsewhere for my Apple news. I sincerely hope that you can recognize constructive critique and will reevaluate the professionalism of Appleinsider.

o-Patrick

• Reply 202 of 347
    rayluskraylusk Posts: 1member
    I started with a windows phone that used a stylus years ago. Later I moved onto Android and after two android phones had enough because of the atrocious lack of timely updates. So I moved on to iPhones and eventually an iPad and couldn't be happier. I do have a strong interest in Microsoft products and in fact have been trained in windows as far back as NT 4. But after my experience with Android updates I decided to not jump on the new phones running WP7. That ended up being a great decision when Microsoft made the decision to not spend the money to port WP8 to work on the processors used in WP7. Remember when this decision was made many of these WP7 were only released months before. Well if Microsoft will abandon WP7 customers you can bet that in the future they will likely abandon their tablet customers. Sorry Microsoft no sale here. I will stay with Apple who has proven that they build reliable products that are well supported through out their life cycle. You lost a customer here.
  • Reply 203 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You obviously have a completely mistaken understanding of things.

Making second rate products and copying Apple is not advancing technology at all.

I am at the forefront of technology, using the best tablet in the world. I don't have any time for kickstands or people dancing around like morons or outdated operating systems that take up an obscene amount of RAM.

Exactly! Everyone keeps reiterating the "competition is good" mantra, but doesn't know how it really works. Only when iPad sales are really impacted by a competing tablet, will Apple take notice and start looking into it. 

All the competition has been able to do are small and incremental improvements or variations on what Apple has done with the iPad. There was nothing disruptive enough that made people seriously consider the other tablets. Until that happens, Apple will stay in front and likely will also keep improving the iPad incrementally. 

• Reply 204 of 347
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vojislavcar View Post

iPad was not invented - to be tablet with keyboard, and that is main thing MS argues.

For me, it is under the belt, and it is not - truth.

iPad is #1 and it will stay.

Higher price is reflection of better quality and support.

With videoclips like this, MS just confirmed that intelligent man must avoid MS products as a plague.

Is that Number 1 with the middle finger extended just Dana Carvey did in the movie Opportunity Knocks?   That would be appropriate if you think about it.....

I some how think that due to the sliding PC business, that MIcrsoft might have to buy up HP and maybe Dell's PC units and discontinue the OEM licensing for the desktop versions of Windows, keep the OEM server business intact and then try to maintain their platform and do what Apple's doing.  That is probably the only way they can grow their Revenues.  Just an idea.  I'm sure that's been and even being discussed.  I wonder how that would impact Apple.

• Reply 205 of 347
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I'm not sure what the big debate is about.

Microsoft's entire mobile, post-Apple's-iOS effort has been a complete disaster.

Reasons?

Compare Microsoft's values, what's important to them, to Apple's values, and what's important to Apple.

The companies are vastly different in their philosophies. Microsoft's is ill-suited to the consumer market, especially under current market dynamics. This is nothing new. This sort of confusion and scattered priorities has been characteristic of MS for years now.
  • Reply 206 of 347
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

I didn't think the Surface was that bad.  The Surface RT was pretty worthless in my opinion.  For a laptop replacement the Surface Pro is needed for the corporate environment.  

I'm hoping Microsoft won't just give up and instead try again making improvements to the hardware and OS.  With corporations they might find a good following eventually.  Microsoft's cash cows seem to be on a slow spiral down with no near term fix.

• Reply 207 of 347
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I didn't think the Surface was that bad.  The Surface RT was pretty worthless in my opinion.  For a laptop replacement the Surface Pro is needed for the corporate environment.  

I'm hoping Microsoft won't just give up and instead try again making improvements to the hardware and OS.  With corporations they might find a good following eventually.  Microsoft's cash cows seem to be on a slow spiral down with no near term fix.

If I was a CIO for a corporation that had Microsoft standardized, I wouldn't go with the Surface Pro as a laptop standard.  The thing is a horrible laptop, I would go with a HP Ultrabook as a standard laptop, if I had to stick with Microsoft based laptop, or go with Apple MBwhatever and put Windows on it.

It's like a crappy MBAir alternative.. 10 inch screen? yuk

• Reply 208 of 347
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    popinfresh wrote: »
    <p style="text-indent:-12px;">If this is the level of editorial that Appleinsider wants to present to the world, I will look elsewhere for my Apple news.

Got to love these kind of threats. It's actual these kind of articles and responses that promotes and draws more readers to this site. Fans and trolls alike. If you really meant what you said you would already be gone by now without any need to make empty threats; along with the rest of the trolls. But no, you won't leave. You are only drawn more to the bright light. You don't like the game and threaten to take you ball and go home. but you won't. Youll be back.
  • Reply 209 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

You seem to have no idea that corporate USA buys the MBA and either loads Win 7 or leaves OSX on it. Corporate USA is not ready (if ever) to have WIN 8 running anywhere they can avoid it. 

Besides, the Surface Pro is a poor laptop and an even poorer tablet. The Surface RT does make a rather decent door stop.

• Reply 210 of 347
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Wow, these "editorials" sound like they're written by a Fox News lobbyist's 17 year old son. The recycling/copy pasting of the graphics/tables/pictures and weak shoehorning of them into as many different "editorials" as possible makes me think he will need to repeat a year if he wants to get into college.

I know some people will reply "good riddance, you apple hating jerk", but I actually feel embarrassed reading some of these articles because of how crapulent and petty they are and am going to try and find another source for Apple news.
  • Reply 211 of 347
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    The article is pretty fair imo.

Think this sums microsoft's approach up -
    I have windows 8 on my tv pc for using steam....recently downloaded the 8.1 preview (the heralded fix)to check it out.....now I understand its a preview and there might be bugs - but it knocked my bluetooth out for 2 weeks so I couldn't even connect my keyboard! Then reinstated my need to enter a password which made the experience all the more ridiculous. Bluetooth drivers, that's pretty basic....an establishes part of the system not a new feature in any way, so in the new rapid release world = complete tardiness in order to get across the new features?

Can you imagine being inside Microsoft and there strategy.....we here rumours of a music player - we're going to do one! We see the ipad, we're going to do one! We've heard about a watch ....we're going to do one! No wonder they're losing direction...they're chasing dreams like a bet on the races without thinking any of it through.

Surface - is that a hidden meaning for shallow experience lol.

I think Xbox 360 and ps3 fail apart from anything for there 7 year cycle. They're seriously outdated. Has to be a record for the tech industry. Do you think someone had a bet on how long they could string it out?

Dont believe the hype either - The new consoles only look next gen compared to the old consoles.
  • Reply 212 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

... but the more Microsoft spends on it's tablet the better the iPad will be in the future.

Why should that be? The original iPad launched and sold by the truckload without Microsoft or anyone else spending loads on their own tablets.

Since its launch, the iPad has got faster, lighter, thinner and a Retina display despite having no real competition to speak of. This "we need loads of competition so that we get the best products" meme may work to describe Samsung, Microsoft, Blackberry, HP and so on but Apple plough their own furrow. And get it right regardless.

• Reply 213 of 347
    koop wrote: »
    Nice tongue in cheek editorial. Such wit and biting sarcasm. I can't contain myself with all this self congratulatory I-told-you-so retrospection. Self restraint and humbleness was so last year anyway.

It's times like this i'm filled with relief that adblock is defaulted to 'on'. I shudder to think i'm providing click revenue to such tripe.

Oh, I'm sorry, are you done comparing the iPad to feminine hygiene products, or did you want to wait till Apple sold another hundred-million, or until Microsoft lost another billion trying to make their knockoff of Apples "useless" product. XD

Your tears taste delicious.
  • Reply 214 of 347
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

FYI: telling strangers in forums that you "feel sorry for them" is one way to look down on others. You're passing judgment on, not empathizing with, the person/people you are addressing.

You're right. That was just my way of being nasty to people that have been nasty to me ;)

• Reply 215 of 347
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

Quote:

Originally Posted by designguybrown View Post

Woah - i have been an Apple fan-boy since the late 80s as a kid,....but....

Translation:  "I'm an android zealot, who think's you're so stupid you'll give me credibility by simply claiming to be a "fanboy"."

PS-- People who appreciate apple products don't call themselves "fanboys".  That's a derogatory term that those who are incapable of thinking of actual arguments use to characterize them. 

• Reply 216 of 347
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Translation:  "I'm an android zealot, who think's you're so stupid you'll give me credibility by simply claiming to be a "fanboy"."

PS-- People who appreciate apple products don't call themselves "fanboys".  That's a derogatory term that those who are incapable of thinking of actual arguments use to characterize them. 

See, some were fanboys, some still are.

I still mainly use Apple products, but I am no longer blind to their competition.

• Reply 217 of 347
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    westcoast8 wrote: »
    Since you asked so nicely, I quickly read through it again and copied the obvious sarcasm:

Incredibly, it turned out pretty much nobody wanted to be the guinea pig tasked with beta testing Honeycomb tablets...

The icing on top would be that this new Surface would adopt the Metro user interface...

Surely the third time around would be the Charm, especially if it were forced upon the entire Windows 8 PC audience as well...

Windows users were so graciously welcoming of the even less significant changes bundled with Windows Vista in 2006.

I mean, really. Quite inconceivable.

What a paragon of operational competence that product demonstrates.
  • Reply 218 of 347
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    vadania wrote: »
    I understand you want technology to stand still.  I suppose it makes sense on a psychological point of view.

I'd prefer that you looked at it through a different lens.  Mine may have a bit more estrogen in it, but the more Microsoft spends on it's tablet the better the iPad will be in the future.

I think we should all cheer Microsoft on and encourage them to spend an absorbent amount of money researching what really does work.

I don't see how mocking Microsoft's recurring acts of combined arrogance and incompetence can be construed as wanting technology to stand still.

Nobody is suggesting that Apple's competitors should stop competing. What many of us might suggest is that perhaps some of them (Microsoft in particular) might try to emulate Apple's culture instead of Xeroxing their product features. If any of these companies shifted their strategy to focus on their customers first - as Apple does - and work on products meant to delight those customers instead of products meant primarily to support their internal business priorities and those of their business partners, then maybe we'd see some truly wonderful products out there to compete with Apple's.

Incidentally, I don't get what estrogen has to do with your point of view, unless you're suggesting that being female somehow explains why you're missing the point.
  • Reply 219 of 347
    markbriton wrote: »
    It could just be me but I think this editorial has more sarcasm than most and it somehow cheapens the points raised. I don't disagree with the article but in my opinion it comes across more as a fanboy rant rather than a sensible and intelligent analysis of the situation which it actually is.

While I also prefer a more nuanced writing style, I think the article's tone is secondary to the very strong point it makes about Microsoft's consistent track record of bumbling product introductions wrapped in unbridled hubris. I think this story doesn't get covered enough in these days of lazy and biased tech journalism that continuously parrots corporate hype with minimal fact checking and big picture analysis.
  • Reply 220 of 347
    frood wrote: »
    This is almost the epitome of the smarmy attitude that makes many people not want to use Apple products.  Never mind that Apple makes great products, they just don't want be associated with, well... this.

Surface RT is a pretty terrible product on all fronts, and probably is partially responsible for taking their core product, Windows, in a direction many users just don't like.

With Apple having a great product and strong lead in tablets, and Android tablets now being quite good, the path for Microsoft to getting in the market is quite slim.

They need to stop their attack ads on both Google and Apple.  It just makes them look kind of desperate and does not focus on how good their products are.   If they are not focusing on how good their products are- they need to make them good so they have something to focus on :p 

Can you cite some actual examples of Apple statements or ads that convey the "smarmy attitude" you dislike? I don't think it's fair to blame one blogger's exuberance on Apple. I consider Apple's marketing to be very tasteful and reserved. The closest they came to attack ads was their "Mac vs. PC" campaign which was highly successful and used a bumbling but likable character to portray the "PC".

As you later pointed out, it's Apple's competitors (Samsung, Microsoft, etc.) who are known for smarmy attack ads.