Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

Comments

• Reply 261 of 347
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    freediverx wrote: »

The Casio's were popular, I think my sister had one, to add applications didn't you have to use cards?
  • Reply 262 of 347
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The #1 revenue generator at Microsoft is the Office division. Pretty soon the server/enterprise division will probably take over Windows for the #2 spot. Microsoft should spin off Xbox and just focus on being a really great enterprise company. Forget about consumer electronics (outside of providing Windows to OEMs). IBM did it when they sold their PC business to Lenovo. One of the reasons Dell wants to go private is so they can focus more on enterprise and not consumer PCs.

IMO Microsoft's mistake is trying to be all things to all people. That's what Sinofsky attempted to do with Windows 8 and its not really working out. Outside of Xbox is there really a consumer focused product that they've been successful with? To me Windows success is more around its pervasiveness in the enterprise. People buy Windows PCs because that's what they're familiar with as they use Windows and Office at work. Last summer I was at Best Buy and asked one of the sales guys if they had any Ultrabooks. He said they didn't but couldn't wait for them to get to the stores. When I asked why he said because they looked like a MacBook Air but ran Windows which most customers are familiar with. Tablets ans phones are a whole other story. Microsoft doesn't have the foothold in enterprise; familiarity isn't there. People are totally content and comfortable buying Apple and Android devices. And with BYOD becoming pervasive in the enterprise employees can easily use iPhones, iPads and Android devices at work. Not sure how Microsoft turns that around unless they give corporations deep discounts on Surface Pro devices. But that would just piss off their OEM partners who sell PCs to corporations. And then Microsoft could run into OEM's going the way of Cromebooks and cheap Android tablets.

I think Microsoft has lots of issues but with Ballmer running the show nothing is going to change. And as long as Bill Gates is Chairman, Ballmer isn't going anywhere unfortunately.
  • Reply 263 of 347
    rightware wrote: »
    I totally agree with those sentiments.

Moreover, when the iPhone was first released it was only an EDGE device at a time when I owned a HTC 3G Touch-screen phone, the App Store had not yet been envisioned, and the $500-600 device was not subsidized.

Bottom line: Steve Jobs & Company didn't get it right the first time around. It was a full year before the App Store arrived, the faster iPhone 3G was introduced, and the price dropped by more than 50% due to a generous subsidy from AT&T.

Why exactly does this Apple Insider author believe that Microsoft should be held to higher standard?

Few companies get it totally right the first time around.  That's why some technology consumers have a strict policy of never buying version 1 of anything.  That policy sure worked well for me when I deferred my first iPhone purchase for a full year.
    When the iPhone was first announced wasn't it the first phone with multi touch? Limitations were overlooked because of the multi touch UI interface. And of course Apple had Steve Jobs as a salesman. Microsoft doesn't have anyone like that.
  • Reply 264 of 347
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Like so many have said before, MS has become an outdated joke. I have the iPad mini 32 gig and it is by far one of the best effing investment I have ever made!!!
    It works near flawlessly. It is like whatever you can think of it can do.
    I can crate a spreadsheet using numbers in seconds, then go over to pages and write a paper all while I downloading an episode of The Walking Dead. damn!
    Screw Windows.
  • Reply 265 of 347
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 186member
    freediverx wrote: »
    Poorly.

When I look at iOS7 it looks rather as if Apple were copying Microsoft. That's why iOS7 is so ugly.
  • Reply 266 of 347
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    popinfresh wrote: »
    This editorial simply displays a level of fanatical "fanboyism" for apple that is usually not displayed in journalism.

Right. Because the rest of "journalism" is paid off to write hit pieces on Apple.
    ...you are entitled to your opinions...

Instantly rendering your complaint pointless.
    abiggerkid wrote: »
    And I did start off by saying that I like my iPad, so I'm hardly an Apple hater.

I don't need to put this at the top of the post in that thread, but THIS IS NOT A LIST OF WHAT TO DO.
  • Reply 267 of 347
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right. Because the rest of "journalism" is paid off to write hit pieces on Apple.

Citation needed.

• Reply 268 of 347
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I was just thinking, "I wonder how a corporate shill might go about getting Apple fans to pay any attention to their misinformation and propaganda?" And then I thought, "I know! Create a new user profile on an Apple-themed blog and pretend that I'm an Apple fan with 'constructive criticism'." 

Today's vocabulary words:

shilling, astroturfing, sockpuppeting

Tomorrow's vocabulary words:   McCarthyism, Red Scare, and ad hominems....

The instant you accuse someone of being  a shill, you have lost the argument.

Debate the facts, not the person.

• Reply 269 of 347
    kdarling wrote: »

How hilariously ironic for you to be saying that.
  • Reply 270 of 347
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How hilariously ironic for you to be saying that.

Not at all.

I have never accused anyone of being a hidden paid shill.

And I'm certainly not one myself.  I am 60 years old and I post what I know and think, not what someone else thinks for me.  I've been doing that for over 30 years under my own name, unlike some anonymous forum posters.

The only instigator around that is probably publicly paid, is DED for his "editorials", that are really click / argument bait to get more readers and thus more revenue.

The adults around here get tired of personal attacks hiding behind shill accusations.  Some people need to stop being lazy, and debate.

• Reply 271 of 347
    *sigh* :no:
  • Reply 272 of 347
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbriton

"I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm."

Well, the editorial writer is in a bind, because Americans are very good at getting sarcasm, particularly over-the-top sarcasm, and plumb inert when it comes to irony.

Perhaps he strikes a lighter, but more insidious tone in the Czechoslovak edition...
  • Reply 273 of 347
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Debate the facts, not the person.

It seems the best course of action is to report posts that resort to ad hominem as such.  I've seen accounts banned here for that, and of course I trust that such criteria for banning are applied equally for all members.

• Reply 274 of 347
    sirdir wrote: »
    When I look at iOS7 it looks rather as if Apple were copying Microsoft. That's why iOS7 is so ugly.
    How does iOS 7 looks anything like Microsoft's live tiles?
  • Reply 275 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by rightware View Post

I totally agree with those sentiments.

Moreover, when the iPhone was first released it was only an EDGE device at a time when I owned a HTC 3G Touch-screen phone, the App Store had not yet been envisioned, and the $500-600 device was not subsidized.

Bottom line: Steve Jobs & Company didn't get it right the first time around. It was a full year before the App Store arrived, the faster iPhone 3G was introduced, and the price dropped by more than 50% due to a generous subsidy from AT&T.

Why exactly does this Apple Insider author believe that Microsoft should be held to higher standard?

Few companies get it totally right the first time around.  That's why some technology consumers have a strict policy of never buying version 1 of anything.  That policy sure worked well for me when I deferred my first iPhone purchase for a full year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When the iPhone was first announced wasn't it the first phone with multi touch? Limitations were overlooked because of the multi touch UI interface. And of course Apple had Steve Jobs as a salesman. Microsoft doesn't have anyone like that.

Imagine if everyone never bought version 1 of anything.

Thank goodness I didn't or don't. Thank goodness a lot of us, or however you define technology consumers, Apple, Mac or iOS product developers didn't or do. 

Thank Steve because he did get the iPod, iPhone and iPad right the first time around, just like about everything else he brought us. 

Thank goodness for Steve letting millions of us enjoy the ride. Letting many of us help define and smooth the bumps along the way; to see, what some perceive as limitations while others, as opportunities.

And imagine, if a lot more of us had waited for Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia, etc., to finish copying in order to get it right the first time around.

And thank goodness that my parents didn't wait to get it right the first time around either…but there are others, I do wish, had.

• Reply 276 of 347
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    westcoast8 wrote: »
    And imagine, if a lot more of us had waited for Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia, etc., to finish copying in order to get it right the first time around.

What did Nokia copy or are you just assuming that every manufacturer can't innovate and just blatantly copies Apple?:\ Nokia was one of the first to have a Camera on their phones, SMS, MMS, WAP, Email, App Store, Bluetooth, NFC, ect.

Hey looky here, apps displayed in a grid;

Wait is that Map directions in 2004

Or Internet

Or First International Camera Phone in 2002 with grid icons

• Reply 277 of 347
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Over the years "blog" journalism has shifted to articles such as this, which for me are not enjoyable reads. I can relish in a bit of tasty reminders of how MS or Google has landed flat on their faces. However, I would rather read something that hits home by citing untainted factual timelines, decisions trees, and other decisive attributes.

• Reply 278 of 347
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

lol your own VGChartz shows that almost every multiplatform game that gets released on Xbox 360 and PS3 sells more on Xbox 360

Every COD game has outsold on Xbox 360 over PS3

Almost EVERY IP for Xbox 360 has outsold PS3 IP

Skyrim Xbox 360 over PS3

Top Selling Xbox 360 game DWARFS the top selling PS3 Exclusive by 2:1 in global sales

It's also worth mentioning that Xbox 360 did PATHETIC in the Japanese market, and even doing so horrible, completely takes over PS3 in terms of game sales.

This along with the fact that Sony lost around $5 Billion on the PS3 while Microsoft lost around $3 Billion

So like I said, PS3 has NOT dominated the gaming market (most people that bought it probably got it for the Blu Ray) and sucks in profits. So yes, It's a FLOP!

i guess you cant read. right on the front page, the top _two_ games worldwide are both on the PS3.  The PS3 is selling more world wide than the Wii U and the XBox 360.  The brick box 360 with a 51%+ failure rate co

i would take this source over yours anyday: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-microsoft-losses-on-xbox-2012-6

Micrososft has lost over 4 billion on the xbox 360 excluding the first couple years of losses so their losses are probably north of 5 billion.So, maybe in your fantasy world the PS3 is a flop, but in this world, the PS3 is DOMINATING the failed BrickBox 360 which is in _last_ place in sales. School is out.

• Reply 279 of 347
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

What did Nokia copy or are you just assuming that every manufacturer can't innovate and just blatantly copies Apple?image Nokia was one of the first to have a Camera on their phones, SMS, MMS, WAP, Email, App Store, Bluetooth, NFC, ect.

Hey looky here, apps displayed in a grid;

Wait is that Map directions in 2004

Or Internet

Or First International Camera Phone in 2002 with grid icons

How much are you paid for these morsels of 'information' by Nokia, et al?

Cheers

• Reply 280 of 347
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    westcoast8 wrote: »
    Interesting.

As a former editior, I would admit that a couple of the above could example sarcasm. However, certainly not overtly stated, or frequency.

If there are any examples true sarcasm*, it seems to come for a vitriolic trolls that can't wait for anyone to be positive about Apple…

As a former editor maybe you should have proofread your post. I highlighted the parts you may want to look at. You also only need one period at the end of a sentence.

This was a poorly written article regardless of ones personal view of Apple. I'm a huge fan of Apple products and services and agree with some of the op's conclusions. You must have read another article if you are arguing that this one lacked any true examples of sarcasm.