Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

Comments

• Reply 281 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I still maintain that the Surface RT and the Surface Pro are actually hybrid laptops.  

You have to use them in landscape mode, and you have to use the attached (but detachable) keyboard, and you have to put them down on a table to make them even work, or to get the benefits out of them that Microsoft is selling.  They also run desktop software and work best with a mouse.  Sure they tell us it's a tablet, but other than the name I don't see the difference between them and some of Dell's convertible laptops, or the (Acer?) ones with the detachable screen.  

They are fucking laptops, not tablets.  They are screwed up little hybrid laptops for people that want to think they have a tablet, but can't really let go of the past.  

It's what you get if start with a Windows PC instead of a clean slate. The Surface RT could have differentiated itself from the x86 Windows Tablets by not having a desktop mode, and maybe even go further into Post-PC experience. But alas, they couldn't just leave it behind, even though there is absolutely ZERO legacy ARM Windows desktop apps that Surface RT has to support. This made me realize the desktop mode isn't considered vestigial, but rather an essential part for the Microsoft vision of what a Windows tablet should be. I think deep down inside, they're terrified of going "there" -- the post-PC world. Unlike Apple, who will gladly cannibalize Mac sales for the iPad, Microsoft seems hesitant to cannibalize sales from their own cash cow, x86 Windows. So Surface RT is just an ARM version of Windows 8, crippled by binary incompatibility. I hardly see the point of it.

• Reply 282 of 347
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    sirdir wrote: »
    When I look at iOS7 it looks rather as if Apple were copying Microsoft. That's why iOS7 is so ugly.

Here's a great article with numerous examples of how Apple is not copying anyone...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/22/editorial-ios-7-shows-how-apple-is-leading-mobile-computing
  • Reply 283 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Another so-called 'editorial' serving as a vehicle for DED's self-indulgence in his Apple monomania.

Calling this bilge an editorial devalues the whole site.

You mean the frequent spelling and grammar errors, formatting errors, flame bait articles and unmonitored forums didn't?

• Reply 284 of 347
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You mean the frequent spelling and grammar errors, formatting errors, flame bait articles and unmonitored forums didn't?

Thought you'd give 'trolls' its own bullet point. :lol:
  • Reply 285 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

1993     Apple Newton

2000     Microsoft coins the term "Microsoft Tablet PC"

Where do you see a reference to a Windows-based tablet pre-1993?

1991    Microsoft releases Windows for Pen Computing, a tablet OS. And yes, I've used it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_for_Pen_Computing

FWIW, the Apple started development on the Newton in 1987.

• Reply 286 of 347
    Re : icons on Nokia. Yep just like the newton OS. Jesus, don't you fandroids ever think for yourselves instead of pre-packaged 'trolling-points'? God, you're boring. As boring as Microsoft Office.
  • Reply 287 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thought you'd give 'trolls' its own bullet point. image

Some of them are just contrarians looking for that little ego boost. They know who they are.

• Reply 288 of 347

I thought the title "The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT" referred to this:

Gotta love Sinofsky's expression at 00:31. Priceless.

• Reply 289 of 347
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    freediverx wrote: »
    Here's a great article with numerous examples of how Apple is not copying anyone...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/22/editorial-ios-7-shows-how-apple-is-leading-mobile-computing

We've all read that one already. A link from a more neutral website would've served your point better.
  • Reply 290 of 347
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

1991    Microsoft releases Windows for Pen Computing, a tablet OS. And yes, I've used it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_for_Pen_Computing

FWIW, the Apple started development on the Newton in 1987.

Correct, and tablets go back even further in Apple's DNA. Alan Kay originally proposed the idea of DynaBook in the early 1970s at Xerox PARC (). Kay was one of the many Xerox people who went to work for Apple (joining Jef Raskin who was working on similar ideas and who had primed Jobs for his visit to PARC). Kay got many ideas from Bob Barton, particularly 'develop software first because hardware should be constrained by software and not vice versa'. I already corrected someone who propagated the false platitude that Apple was only good at designing hardware. (See Barton's 1963 New Approach http://www.scribd.com/doc/61812037/Barton-B5000.)

These ideas also came from recently departed Doug Englebart and the 'mother of all demonstrations' who had been inspired by Vannevar Bush who envisaged hypertext in the 1940s.

• Reply 291 of 347
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How does iOS 7 looks anything like Microsoft's live tiles?

It does not, however, the look seems closer to W8P than iOS 6 to me (the icons).

But, look and feel are just things that products magically do, nothing important.  No need to sue over it or anything.

(Sorry, I could not help myself, there is not much similarity from what I see between W8P and iOS7.  Once I use iOS7, I will judge it)

-QAMF

• Reply 292 of 347
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    popinfresh wrote: »
    As a former editor maybe you should have proofread your post. I highlighted the parts you may want to look at. You also only need one period at the end of a sentence.

This was a poorly written article regardless of ones personal view of Apple. I'm a huge fan of Apple products and services and agree with some of the op's conclusions. You must have read another article if you are arguing that this one lacked any true examples of sarcasm.

I'd let up on linking errors in text to errors in meaning if I were you. I didn't see any sarcasm in the article that wasn't wonderfully understated. I don't know how DED holds himself back as much as he does to be honest.
  • Reply 293 of 347
    epsycoepsyco Posts: 3member

I predicted the RT would be a failure right from the start; anyone wanting a Surface would never bother with that model since it's pretty much useless without a developer community.  Microsoft, however, seems to have jumped on it head first when they could have, for example, invested that $1b paying actual developers to write software for their platform.  I sure would have worked for it if they promised me, say, $50-100k as a reward for a decent free app.  Let us not forget that we're talking about $1b here, at $100k per developer they could have bought 10k apps.

• Reply 294 of 347
    popinfresh wrote: »
    <p style="text-indent:-12px;">This is not an editorial, it's a hit job opinion piece. This piece presents a lot of opinions as factual data with no source of validity. While I agree with some of your observations, this is poor journalism. The sarcastic tone does not help establish your topic that Surface RT was a failure. This editorial simply displays a level of fanatical "fanboyism" for apple that is usually not displayed in journalism. Again, you are entitled to your opinions and had this been posted under a personal opinion column I wouldn't think less of Appleinsider. Appleinsider is, after all, an Apple news and fan site. I am a very sarcastic person myself and can appreciate a well placed sarcastic quip to accentuate a point. There is plenty of empirical data to present that support the conclusions you posted as self-evident. Lastly, yes I am aware that an editorial is an opinion piece, one that is supposed to reflect the organization's position on a particular topic. If this is the level of editorial that Appleinsider wants to present to the world, I will look elsewhere for my Apple news. I sincerely hope that you can recognize constructive critique and will reevaluate the professionalism of Appleinsider.</p>

<p style="text-indent:-12px;"> </p>

<p style="text-indent:-12px;">o-Patrick</p>

Bye :)
  • Reply 295 of 347
    Remember when IBM was the only company that mattered in what was then called Data Processing? Then along came Microsoft and stepped right over them to ride the PC revolution wave. Then it was MS's turn to get fat and lazy as Apple did the same to them with the hand-held revolution. Here's hoping Apple can avoid the fate of previous front-runners.

No worries.
  • Reply 296 of 347

Hey, guys I dislike MS as much as the next guy... including DED!

I just try not to let my emotions confuse/color my logic.

MS Has done some good things and deserves credit for them -- early Word, Excel, Access -- not to mention investing in Apple ($ and Office Support) when Steve returned. Sure, these were driven by self interest,,, but who / what public company isn't?

IMO, the problem with DED's rants is they are usually a verbose over-the-top rehash of the same-old, same-old. They give the impression of recounting history -- but you have only DED's perspective and no conflicting facts or points of view are included. And, if you post any challenge to an AI article of his -- he often takes issue and demeans the challenge and poster using the pseudonym "Corrections". Why is that permitted?

Sometimes, though very seldom, I am pleasantly surprised by a a concise, unbiased DED article.

Are you serious? You actually cite Word here? Word, along with the entire, suite aka Office was an Apple project for the Mac Plus. Steve hired that reprobate Gates and his fledgling company Microsoft to develop it. In doing so Gates was allowed access to Mac OS. The result was Windows. I have a Mac Plus and all the disks including Word and Multiplan (aka Excel) and the rest right here. You need to read upon exactly why MS invested in Apple . Hint, Quicktime law suit. Sorry I always appreciate your posts but this touched a nerve. I was there at the time, I don't need DED to tell me what actually happened.
  • Reply 297 of 347
    ijoyner wrote: »
    Correct, and tablets go back even further in Apple's DNA. Alan Kay originally proposed the idea of DynaBook in the early 1970s at Xerox PARC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r36NNGzNvjo). Kay was one of the many Xerox people who went to work for Apple (joining Jef Raskin who was working on similar ideas and who had primed Jobs for his visit to PARC). Kay got many ideas from Bob Barton, particularly 'develop software first because hardware should be constrained by software and not vice versa'. I already corrected someone who propagated the false platitude that Apple was only good at designing hardware. (See Barton's 1963 New Approach http://www.scribd.com/doc/61812037/Barton-B5000.)
    These ideas also came from recently departed Doug Englebart and the 'mother of all demonstrations' who had been inspired by Vannevar Bush who envisaged hypertext in the 1940s.

The IBM News Pad predates them all. It was, after all, from the future, just like Scotty gave us the formula for inventing transparent aluminum :)
  • Reply 298 of 347
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Exactly. This year is the first year that I went on vacation and I only brought along an iPad with me. I wasn't sure how that was going to work out, since I'd been so used to bringing Macbooks with me in the past, but it's worked out pretty good so far. Last year I brought along both a Macbook and an iPad, but I decided to leave the laptop at home this time, to save a few pounds, since certain airlines are getting stingier and stingier with their luggage allowances.

I check the internet, i check emails, I occasionally troll forums, I watch movies, I listen to music and I even create music every once in a while. I don't need to do any heavy duty computing on my vacation, and an iPad has worked out great. I'm even writing this post on the iPad, and I'm actually pretty damn fast at typing on the iPad now.

For the average person, an iPad is all that they'll ever need.

The way you are wording this, it almost looks like as if iPad is the only tablet that can do that.

While the real truth is, any current Windows, Android and iOS tablet can do that for average customer. iPad will take them further in the world of custom pocket-size apps, while Windows tablet will enable them easier cooperation with their home/work networks and computers. Android probably sits somewhere in between.
  • Reply 299 of 347
    gphx56gphx56 Posts: 1member
    The reason Microsoft Surface is failing is Windows 8, which is in-between the old interface and the new new interface Metro. I believe that once developer migrate from programs to apps the surface will become much more successful.
  • Reply 300 of 347
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    mgabrysphx wrote: »
    Re : icons on Nokia. Yep just like the newton OS. Jesus, don't you fandroids ever think for yourselves instead of pre-packaged 'trolling-points'? God, you're boring. As boring as Microsoft Office.

If you want to go that route, Psion released the Series 3 before the Newton and those Nokia phones I posted run Symbian, not Android. I was making the point that Nokia doesn't blatantly rip ideas from Apple.