Apple toying with larger iPhone screen and 13" iPad - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2015
In an effort to reach an even wider audience of customers, Apple is said to be exploring the possibilities of a larger iPhone display and an iPad with a 13-inch screen, according to a new report.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

Apple's apparent behind-the-scenes tinkering was revealed on Monday by The Wall Street Journal, which indicated that such devices have been tested with Asian suppliers. While a specific screen size for a new iPhone model was not given, it was reported that the company has specifically built a prototype iPad with a screen sized "slightly less than 13 inches diagonally."

There have been reports in recent months that Apple could be planning to build an iPhone with a bigger display, measuring around 5 inches diagonally, as soon as next year. It's believed that Apple is exploring such a device in response to the success of jumbo-sized smartphones like Samsung's Galaxy Note series.

Apple already increased the size of the iPhone display from 3.5 inches to 4 inches with the launch of the iPhone 5 in 2012. The company boasted that by making the new screen taller but not wider, it can still be used with one hand.

But even at 4 inches, Apple's iPhone 5 remains one of the smaller smartphone displays on the market. For example, Samsung's new flagship Galaxy S4 features a 4.8-inch AMOLED screen.

While rumors of a so-called "iPhone Plus" are not new, word of a larger iPad has been less common. While smartphone sizes have trended larger, tablets have skewed smaller, as seen by the success Apple has had with its 7.9-inch iPad mini.

Apple is expected to launch a redesigned full-size iPad later this year, but it's believed that device will sport the same size 9.7-inch screen as every iPad that has come before it. A 13-inch iPad would put it in a similar class with the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, both of which are available with 13.3-inch screens.

Noted insider John Gruber of Daring Fireball said in May that he expects Apple to release an iOS-based notebook "eventually" --?speculation that may align with Apple's alleged interest in a 13-inch touchscreen panel. Gruber said he does not, however, expect Apple to ever release a touchscreen MacBook.

Accessories that turn Apple's current iPad models into laptop-like clamshells with keyboards have proven popular among accessory makers. Microsoft has also touted the laptop-like functionality of its iPad-competing Surface tablets in television advertisements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I'd happily buy a 13" or even 15" iPad. The 10" model is already too big for my pocket so anything that fits into my bag is good.

Still waiting a coffee table running iOS too. :)

• Reply 2 of 104
    The current front face design for the iPhone doesn't work well for larger screens at all. You can see in the mockup, an iPhone with a 5" screen would almost have the same footprint as a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with a 5.5" screen.
  • Reply 3 of 104
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Personally, I can't for the life of me see the value in increasing the size of the iPad. I can't imagine a single use case where that would be beneficial.
  • Reply 4 of 104
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I don't doubt that Apple is testing larger form factors for the iPad and iPhone.

This information really doesn't prove that they are going to release a larger iPhone or iPad though.

On a side note, I find it interesting that now in iOS 7 iPhone apps are automatically scaled to full resolution on iPads rather than before in iOS 3-6 where they stayed native size and consistently looked blurry on retina and non retina iPads.

Could be a sign of more resolution independence from the OS which would make sense of Apple is exploring larger screens.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    drealothdrealoth Posts: 79member
    Call me crazy, but I would love a convertible iPad/MacBook Air.
  • Reply 6 of 104
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Wouldn't the 13" iPad basically just be a bevel-less current iPad?
  • Reply 7 of 104
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member

Having owned both an iPhone 3G and 3G S as well as now the 5, I see the increase in screen size as a considerable drawback. The 3.5 inch screens were much, much easier to use with just one hand, whereas the 5 constantly has to be shuffled around in your hand to be able to reach everything. Increasing the size further will only make things worse.

They can put telephony into an iPad mini for those who desperately need to be able to make phonecalls with their tablets, but stop making the phones bigger every time. Just because the Android gang keeps racing for size doesn't mean that is anything people need. Ever wonder why there's always a "mini" model for every new phablet that comes out?

• Reply 8 of 104
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I don't doubt that Apple is testing larger form factors for the iPad and iPhone.

This information really doesn't prove that they are going to release a larger iPhone or iPad though.

I find it interesting that now in iOS 7 iPhone apps are automatically blown up to full resolution on iPads rather than before where they stay in native size and consistently looked blurry on retina and non retina iPads.

Could e a sign of more resolution independence from the OS which would make sense of Apple is exploring larger screens.

It will mean universal apps are easier - effectively blown up iPhone apps. Which means that iPad owners will be able to buy an iPhone and get their apps, and vice versa. 

• Reply 10 of 104
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Wait, there is a keyboard for the iPad? Did anyone tell ms? /s

I'm in the don't want it bigger category, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.
  • Reply 11 of 104
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm sure there's lots of things Apple is toying with. Not sure why the WSJ thinks its newsworthy. I mean didn't we see stories last January about Apple having a 50 inch TV in their design lab? And then we never really heard more about it.

Though I guess it's better than a front page story claiming Apple has cut parts orders for the new iPhone. It is a day before earnings release so I'm exoecting some D&G before tomorrow afternoon.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    asdasd wrote: »
    It will mean universal apps are easier - effectively blown up iPhone apps. Which means that iPad owners will be able to buy an iPhone and get their apps, and vice versa. 

They also don't give the 2x option anymore because it scales full screen automatically at high resolution. I wonder why that wasnt implemented from day 1.

Anyway do you think this could be a sign to a larger phone that automatically scales apps up to full resolution?

A primary argument people have had against a larger iPhone is if it has a different resolution from other iPhones it would screw developers. But what if that's not an issue anymore because iOS 7 natively scales apps independent of the resolution?

Just speculation on my part but this is probably what they're testing. I can't see them making a larger phone with a lower pixel density and likewise I don't see the value in doubling the pixel density again and having a ridiculous 500ppi display. That leaves them with changing the resolution in they increase the screen size which to some here would be a "no-no" with developers.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    jgjonesjgjones Posts: 4member

I am very pleased that Apple might be researching a tablet like device with a larger screen. Lately I have been considering android & windows based products with hd screens > than 10.1". At first blush, some are actually appealing, Eventually I get sober, and begin to fully appreciate that this hardware, however compelling, does not run Apple software. As a side note, it's the software, and always has been. 

• Reply 14 of 104
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    g-news wrote: »
    Having owned both an iPhone 3G and 3G S as well as now the 5, I see the increase in screen size as a considerable drawback. The 3.5 inch screens were much, much easier to use with just one hand, whereas the 5 constantly has to be shuffled around in your hand to be able to reach everything. Increasing the size further will only make things worse.
    They can put telephony into an iPad mini for those who desperately need to be able to make phonecalls with their tablets, but stop making the phones bigger every time. Just because the Android gang keeps racing for size doesn't mean that is anything people need. Ever wonder why there's always a "mini" model for every new phablet that comes out?

Nice point ! Apple should stay with 3,5 but now when we got 4 inches it starts to get over the "ultra comfortable one hand usability"
    I know many android fans were telling me that their 4.3, 4.5, or even 4.8 are "comfortable" to use with one hand, but iPhone was ultra comfortable.
    Now If Apple wants to be ultra comfortable again they shouldn't make bigger screen but rather shrink the bezel of iPhone 5 to almost nothing in iPhone 6. That could make the phone by up to 8 mm narrower (but 4-5 mm is more realistic). Such huge difference could potentially bring the usability of iPhone 5 back to previous iPhones level while offering a bigger screen.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

I'm wondering if Apple is looking at an OSX variant of the iPad.  Not a convertible MBA, but an iPad big enough to use as a laptop with a "real" operating system.  Scary, but it could be for a "Windows RT" version of the iPad (OSX RT, so to speak). 

Lion was the beginning of merging iOS with OSX at least from a user interface standpoint (App Launcher, anyone?).  Apple like to take the next step but do it better than others have done or thought of. 

While Windows RT cannot run windows apps, Apple's experience with emulation (Rosetta, etc.) might lead to simple OSX apps running on ARM that might allow OSX to run on a 12" iPad.  A keyboardless MBA that can run all iPad apps, and SOME OSX apps might be in the works.

Jobs is dead, but four years of products was rumored to be in the works.  It's only been 1.5 years.   Jobs always saw the future before it was technically possible.  A full-blown version of OSX on a larger iPad would mean redeveloping the interface of OSX to support touch in a better way.  Microsoft hasn't thought that far ahead.  Does anyone think Apple would do this?

• Reply 16 of 104
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I'm wondering if Apple is looking at an OSX variant of the iPad.  Not a convertible MBA, but an iPad big enough to use as a laptop with a "real" operating system.  Scary, but it could be for a "Windows RT" version of the iPad (OSX RT, so to speak). 

Lion was the beginning of merging iOS with OSX at least from a user interface standpoint (App Launcher, anyone?).  Apple like to take the next step but do it better than others have done or thought of. 

While Windows RT cannot run windows apps, Apple's experience with emulation (Rosetta, etc.) might lead to simple OSX apps running on ARM that might allow OSX to run on a 12" iPad.  A keyboardless MBA that can run all iPad apps, and SOME OSX apps might be in the works.

Jobs is dead, but four years of products was rumored to be in the works.  It's only been 1.5 years.   Jobs always saw the future before it was technically possible.  A full-blown version of OSX on a larger iPad would mean redeveloping the interface of OSX to support touch in a better way.  Microsoft hasn't thought that far ahead.  Does anyone think Apple would do this?

I don't because, because from the beginning Apple has understood that touch and keyboard/click are entirely different paradigms.

And to be quite honest, the MacBook Air weighs, what?  2.4 lbs. (for the 11")?  I can't see the advantage to a larger iPad that emulates OSX somehow) over just getting an Air.

• Reply 17 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgjones View Post

I am very pleased that Apple might be researching a tablet like device with a larger screen. Lately I have been considering android & windows based products with hd screens > than 10.1". At first blush, some are actually appealing, Eventually I get sober, and begin to fully appreciate that this hardware, however compelling, does not run Apple software. As a side note, it's the software, and always has been. 

0.4 inches really isn't much, unless you're talking about the 16:9 screen ratios of those tablets? I personally find large 16:9 tablets odd to use in that everything is too narrow in portrait, and in landscape everything is short.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Probably won't happen yet. There are still too many things in OS X that are not finger friendly and need the precision of a mouse/trackpad. We will probably see more functionality from OS X make it's way into iOS instead of OS X becoming a touch based interface. At least not yet.

Good news is that iOS 7 for iPad appears to still be in its infancy so maybe we'll see some surprises in usability when Apple unveils the new iPads pre-loaded with iOS 7.

• Reply 18 of 104
    For example, Samsung's new flagship Galaxy S4 features a <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/03/samsung_unveils_quad_core_galaxy_s_iii_with_48_amoled_screen">4.8-inch AMOLED screen</a>.

The S4 has a 4.99" screen.
  • Reply 19 of 104
    asdasd wrote: »

Makes no sense to me. This is not what iPad users want. Who wants blown up iPhone apps on their iPad? And Why???
  • Reply 20 of 104
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I am so buying a 13" ipad if they make it. 13" for home use and the mini for commute. I would also buy a bigger iphone, otherwise when i change my 4s i am getting the low cost version. No way in hell i will pay premium for a 4" phone.