Apple says its developer site was hacked, but that sensitive data was encrypted

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

iCloud has worked pretty much 100% of time time for me in the past few months. 

I'm running the iOS7 beta, and Siri is now just as fast as Google now. It's blazing fast. 

Appstore download speeds pretty much saturate my connection, everything downloads extremely fast. Infinity blade 2 took 10 min tops for me, if not less. 

So I would have to disagree about the "embarrassingly bad" part. They're better than 99% of whats out there, especially considering the scope and breadth of what they;re doing, the complexity, and the amount of users heavily using iCloud products (ie. hundreds of millions). Only Google competes in sheer scale, and Apple is constantly improving, and learning everyday. 

Is this the first civilized post I've seen from you or did I miss the announcement that you successfully completed rehab? :)

• Reply 62 of 107
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Why would you post this?  It's an advertisement for the hacker/security researcher.

Also, no "security researcher" who is doing his job properly or honourably would have posted such a video or not told Apple what he did.  

Whoever this guy is he's a complete asshole and not worthy of the title (if this claim is true.)

It is still in your comment, too.

Edit: Noticed somebody beat me to it.

• Reply 63 of 107
    joelchujoelchu Posts: 80member

That's funny. Last time I check, it was the US government that hack everyone in the world. 

• Reply 64 of 107
    joelchujoelchu Posts: 80member
    [I]
    AppleZilla

If we would cut all Internet lines to China, the digital world would be a much better place.
    [/I]

That's funny. Last time I check, it was the US government that hack everyone in the world. 

• Reply 65 of 107
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I guessed this was the reason for the downtime 2 days ago:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158577/apple-says-developer-portal-downtime-will-not-affect-program-memberships#post_2364450

I sure hope my name and address is not one of the ones leaked. *sigh*

• Reply 66 of 107
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Is this the first civilized post I've seen from you or did I miss the announcement that you successfully completed rehab? :)

Every single one of my posts has been civilized, so you must have me confused with someone else. I don't apologize for calling out obvious and extreme stupidity/ignorance/sensationalism/trolling as it deserves to be called out- directly, honestly, and with extreme prejudice. 

• Reply 67 of 107
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Appstore download speeds pretty much saturate my connection, everything downloads extremely fast. Infinity blade 2 took 10 min tops for me, if not less. 

What kind of connection do you have and where in the world are you?

I've got 120Mbit down and I'm in the UK. I'm lucky to achieve 1MB/s from iTunes. I've never worked out whether the problem is at Apple's end or whether my ISP (Virgin Media) is throttling the connection. It's really frustrating as services like Steam max my connection out.

• Reply 68 of 107
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

What kind of connection do you have and where in the world are you?

I've got 120Mbit down and I'm in the UK. I'm lucky to achieve 1MB/s from iTunes. I've never worked out whether the problem is at Apple's end or whether my ISP (Virgin Media) is throttling the connection. It's really frustrating as services like Steam max my connection out.

I have the usual internet speed. 8Mb/sec. I finihsed download Infinity Blade when it was free in about 15 mins.

• Reply 69 of 107
    Anyone miss the part where Apple was trying to make us believe the site was down for maintenance,
    And since it's taking longer than expected to recover from this and they known"maintenance" is no longer
    Believable, now they tell us the truth. I'm feeling very lied to, I don't care if they all do the cover up thing,
    It's not cool at all!
  • Reply 70 of 107
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

1) This isn't iCloud

2) No Credit card information as devs are redirected to the iTunes store to purchase ( the purchasing of a dev program is a basket "item").

3) It was hacked. An intruder is only an intruder if he intrudes. If not he is a non-intruder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sorry to be picky, but the poorly constructed second sentence is shocking. Very un-Apple-like

The company really needs to hire a decent copy editor who vets stuff like this.

There has been a noted increase in people's inability to understand basic sentences. I could post from the children's book in the 19th century which has far more complex structures than anything posted or understood by adults today. 

Sensitive personal information was encrypted and cannot be accessed, however, we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers’ names, mailing addresses, and/or email addresses may have been accessed.

Two equal clauses separated by a comma ( it could have been a semi-colon but that are taboo in the US). The however which links the clauses is followed by a comma, which is recommended.  What's complex? Then there is a comma delimited list of possibly affected items. The and/or is a bit stylistically odd, but its indicating that some, or all of this list could have been compromised.

• Reply 71 of 107
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by btracy713 View Post

Anyone miss the part where Apple was trying to make us believe the site was down for maintenance,

And since it's taking longer than expected to recover from this and they known"maintenance" is no longer

Believable, now they tell us the truth. I'm feeling very lied to, I don't care if they all do the cover up thing,

It's not cool at all!

Oh many companies do this. In any case they are maintaining it, fixing it, at the moment. Thats the downtime. The intruder has been extruded.

• Reply 72 of 107
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    What sort of mismanaged website needs twenty million a YEAR?! Or at all, for that matter.

They said they're redoing it from scratch already.

You're kidding right, 20 million is nothing compared to what Microsoft, Google, Amazon, even eBay spend a year. It cost over 100 million to get Bing operational.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, because AppleInsider's article titles have always been 100% accurate, word for word representations of

1. reality

2. proper grammar

I don't need a period there. I don't need a temherte slaqî. I don't need any punctuation.

That's fine, anyway. It needed an overhaul; now they have an excuse to take it down all the way to do it!

That's good, attempting to correct people's grammar when you can't comprehend English.

An intruder is not someone attempting to get in.  An intruder is someone who has successfully got in.  The attempt part references the intruders intentions regarding the personal information.  It is like a burglar who has broken into premisses and then attempts to obtain the contents of a safe, but failed.

• Reply 74 of 107
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Why is the stock always the first thing people think of when it comes to assessing the importance of any issue? Is that the main reason why many here care about Apple?

What, care are about a multibillion dollar, multinational company, NO. Apple isn't your buddy, they don't come over to your house and make you soup when your sick. So yes, as an investor, situations like these are of concern. I like using Apple products like the next person but I have zero emotional attachment over inanimate objects or any specific company.You might be suffering from objectophilia and might want to get that looked at.

Just kidding, me like Apple too.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    slurpy wrote: »
    iCloud has worked pretty much 100% of time time for me in the past few months. 
    I'm running the iOS7 beta, and Siri is now just as fast as Google now. It's blazing fast. 

So I would have to disagree about the "embarrassingly bad" part. They're better than 99% of whats out there, especially considering the scope and breadth of what they;re doing, the complexity, and the amount of users heavily using iCloud products (ie. hundreds of millions). Only Google competes in sheer scale, and Apple is constantly improving, and learning everyday. 

iCloud has been down numerous times in the past months. Don't sit here and tell me its worked pretty much 100% of the time. Stop drinking the kook-aid! We all know iCloud isn't know for its reliability and speed.

I will say that I do experience Siri to be quite fast compared to iOS 6. Download speeds off the app store are pretty fast (assuming you have a fast connection).
  • Reply 76 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

If we would cut all Internet lines to China, the digital world would be a much better place.

Just hope they (China) do not cut their manufacturing line. If they do we will not have any phones.

• Reply 77 of 107
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

Point is, we get lots of apologetics here explaining away Apple fuckups, people look the other way, while other companies are raked over the coals. You can bet if a similar thing had happened to developers.google.com or developers.android.com, the same people looking to hand-wave away the issue or give the benefit of the doubt would be raising pitchforks.

This is an Apple fansite :p   Android sites have an equivalent contingent that lambast Apple on almost everything, although they seem to bash Google more than the Apple people who give Apple a free ride on everything.

That said, this is unplanned downtime, so the answer is one of the two:

Apple got hacked and is scrambling to recover. or....

Apples services are built on such a house of cards that it all fell down and they are now scrambling to fix it (as many of the Apple people have pointed out 'it needed fixing anyways')

Not a good thing for Apple, certainly, but not doomsday either way.   Apple will fix it and march forward.

• Reply 78 of 107
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    From another web report at 9to5:

"Security researcher Ibrahim Balic is claiming to have reported a Developer Center security hole just hours before the portal went down.

After reviewing the information and speaking with Balic, it seems as if Apple’s website could be breached through a simple unescaped injection attack. We haven’t seen the script ourselves, so this isn’t completely confirmed.

Balic was able to access first and last names, Apple IDs/email addresses, and user IDs. From the information he shows in the YouTube video and what he described to me in an email, the leak does not show any other information.

In an email to me, Balic also states that the exposed Apple IDs belong to developers as well as regular users. His YouTube video description states he was able glean over 100,000 users’ information, but is planning on deleting all of the information.

[B]He is persistent in stating he did this for security research purposes[/B] and does not plan to use the information in any malicious manner."
    :\
  • Reply 79 of 107
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

What a coincidence, as DED just published an editorial lambasting Google for not giving enough thought to security.

Just because Apple was hacked does not mean it does not give a damn about security. Governments like China and Russia have quite sophisticated hacking operations. Apple seems to be taking it pretty seriously. 

• Reply 80 of 107
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by btracy713 View Post

It's not cool at all!

Perhaps, you are just a cynic. The site IS down for maintenance. The reason seems to be somebody hacked the site. You also assume Apple immediately had all the information. Investigating the situation before making an announcement was the way to go.