Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

Comments

• Reply 301 of 347
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    minicapt wrote: »
    How much are you paid for these morsels of 'information' by Nokia, et al?

Cheers

About as much as you're being paid by Apple. I was posting to a comment that Nokia copies everything and can't innovate, just making a point. You didn't have to post a snide comment.
  • Reply 302 of 347
    So... you'd have to be a real "Apple Insider" to know that the Microsoft Surface is a miserable flop, blah blah Microsoft sux, blah blah? This could have been a tweet instead of an article. Blah, blah blah. Who cares?
  • Reply 303 of 347
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm.

I think Microsoft and the pundits DED targets generally deserve the sarcasm. DED is also pretty good at it. Probably because he is really irked about the stupidity of it all.

And its not only sarcasm. DED did a pretty amazing piece once, analysing the Android memory model, showing that it would be really hard to put real apps on it. At the time the fact that the iPhone did not have a card slot for memory expansion was seen as a big drawback by pundits. But DED showed that unless Android was able to make it piracy-proof it would never work as an extension of general permanent storage memory. Then Google said something at a conference saying they would solve that problem in software. And then the Nexus arrived. Without a card slot. Google had apparently given up on making it work. And guess what: nobody of the original pundits and commenters complained about it missing.

Android has serious security, privacy and piracy issues. And it's not the 90's anymore where there hardly is an internet and devices like Windows 95 desktops are unprotected but also generally unconnected. The security disaster Windows 95 was could grow because the actual effect of it being so insecure only hit us after it had grown. No such luxury for Android and thus Android botnets are already operating at a large scale. Consumers hardly care as they tend to ignore this. But pundits should hammer the Android ecosystem for its problems.

It would be fun to do the following research: take DED's articles and the ones from Paul Thurott and other pro-MS pundits. Then go back in time and notice how often they were right. DED underestimated the success of Android in terms of market share, probably because he underestimated the hopeless position of hardware vendors without a viable software platform. They in fact had nowhere to go but Android. But for the rest, in my memory he has been pretty much on the money, sarcasm and all.

• Reply 304 of 347
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 188member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How does iOS 7 looks anything like Microsoft's live tiles?

Not like the tiles, but the blue texts with the < that are now meant to replace buttons on white background looks a lot like Windows 8. And the candy-colors are a little Windows8-ish as well.

• Reply 305 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirdir View Post

When I look at iOS7 it looks rather as if Apple were copying Microsoft. That's why iOS7 is so ugly.

Interesting.

Maybe you need to get you eyes checked.

Or at least wait till the product is released. Or are you the type that criticizes your food without tasting it first.

• Reply 306 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

Interesting.

Maybe you need to get you eyes checked.

Or at least wait till the product is released. Or are you the type that criticizes your food without tasting it first.

My eyes are perfect, thank you. And I'm already tasting this food for weeks now.

• Reply 307 of 347
    relic wrote: »
    If you want to go that route, Psion released the Series 3 before the Newton and those Nokia phones I posted run Symbian, not Android. I was making the point that Nokia doesn't blatantly rip ideas from Apple.

Yep the series 3 came out in 1993 - the same year as the Newton which was developed starting in 1987. Oh darn did your talking points forget that too?
  • Reply 308 of 347
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sirdir wrote: »
    My eyes are perfect, thank you. And I'm already tasting this food for weeks now.

Then have your taste checked.
  • Reply 309 of 347
    sirdir wrote: »
    . . . And the candy-colors are a little Windows8-ish as well. . . .

Never. Ever. Ever. Get your right brain checked while you're at it.

Microsoft's colors are as unappetizing as office supplies. Apple's colors are, as you say, like candy.
  • Reply 310 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Then have your taste checked.

At least I have one. I guess some people would praise a turd as long there's an Apple logo on it.

• Reply 311 of 347
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gphx56 wrote: »
    The reason Microsoft Surface is failing is Windows 8...

Well, no. That's just one of the multiple dozen reasons.
    pleasestop wrote:
    So... you'd have to be a real "Apple Insider" to know that the Microsoft Surface is a miserable flop, blah blah Microsoft sux, blah blah? This could have been a tweet instead of an article. Blah, blah blah. Who cares?

Hi.

Shut up and go away.

Thanks.
  • Reply 312 of 347
    mgabrysphx wrote: »
    Yep the series 3 came out in 1993 - the same year as the Newton which was developed starting in 1987. Oh darn did your talking points forget that too?

Sorry mgabrys, but Relic is not who you think she is. She is an eclectic technology collector who doesn't see such a great divide between Apple and the other platforms. As she says in this thread, she works for a Swiss bank, and I think she has too much money and fun to be making pocket change from Samsung or whomever.

If she has any life issues, one might be that she didn't do the sort of study with her fellow countryman Albert Hofmann that Steve Jobs did. But far be it from me to suggest . . .
  • Reply 313 of 347
    mgabrysphx wrote: »

Go back and read what ever site you got your info from, the Psion 3a came out in 93, the Psion 3 was released in 91, development for this also started in 87. Nee Ner, Nee, Ner....:p

Yep, just checked the receipt Tue. November 12th, 1991, I kept it inside the original box, so shiny. This is fun, thanks for reminding me to play with an old forgotten friend. I need to find batteries now, please excuse me.
  • Reply 314 of 347

Hey, guys I dislike MS as much as the next guy... including DED!

I just try not to let my emotions confuse/color my logic.

MS Has done some good things and deserves credit for them -- early Word, Excel, Access -- not to mention investing in Apple ($ and Office Support) when Steve returned. Sure, these were driven by self interest,,, but who / what public company isn't?

IMO, the problem with DED's rants is they are usually a verbose over-the-top rehash of the same-old, same-old. They give the impression of recounting history -- but you have only DED's perspective and no conflicting facts or points of view are included. And, if you post any challenge to an AI article of his -- he often takes issue and demeans the challenge and poster using the pseudonym "Corrections". Why is that permitted?

Sometimes, though very seldom, I am pleasantly surprised by a a concise, unbiased DED article.

Are you serious? You actually cite Word here? Word, along with the entire, suite aka Office was an Apple project for the Mac Plus. Steve hired that reprobate Gates and his fledgling company Microsoft to develop it. In doing so Gates was allowed access to Mac OS. The result was Windows. I have a Mac Plus and all the disks including Word and Multiplan (aka Excel) and the rest right here. You need to read upon exactly why MS invested in Apple . Hint, Quicktime law suit. Sorry I always appreciate your posts but this touched a nerve. I was there at the time, I don't need DED to tell me what actually happened.

You misunderstand...

I meant exactly Word nee MultiPlan and Excel developed for the Mac -- not the later versions for Windows and the current bloat. Word was great -- lean and mean -- Do da name "Kensh Rutha" strike a familiar note?

And the original Excel for the Mac was fast, intuitive, feature-rich -- best spread-sheet of its time bar none. Mark Wozniak, my partner in the Computer Stores, had been a beta tester for VisiCalc and was a "go to guy" for developers and users of Spreadsheets. He could make them turn flips and serve you breakfast. Anyway, he was somehow involved with the MS Excel developers for the Mac and had a lot of influence in product features, implementation and making it the success that it became.

AIR, Steve may have contracted MS to develop Word for the Mac but I don't believe Apple had any ownership rights for Word or Excel. At the time the Apple Lisa had pretty good built-in WP and SS apps -- so they could have ported those to the Mac. I believe Steve, at that time, wanted Apple to supply only seed apps (MacWrite, MacPaint, MacDraw and a few others) for the Mac -- and encourage 3rd-parties to develop and port their apps to the Mac. This was mostly successful, at first. Later Apple bought the "NutShell" db and some other apps to fill holes in the Mac software offerings. But Apple tried to keep these apps at arms length by creating an autonomous company Claris to sell the apps... "NutShell" became Filemaker...

As far as MS copying Mac OS for Windows... AFAICT, that happened because Apple's lawyers did not create an iron-clad contract when Apple opened Mac OS to MS. Sculley gets the blame for that -- but I think the real blame lies with legal agreements that were left "open to interpretation". Many, including myself, thought that Apple should have further pursued their legal case against MS....

Then, likely, MS would have co-rewritten IBM OS/2 with knowledge gained from the Mac efforts -- history would have turned out quite different.

Finally, As I stated in my post, MS investments in Apple were driven by MS self-interests... several ongoing MS/Apple lawsuits, threat to MS of DOJ Monopoly litigation... But even then, Apple got things in return -- commitment to maintain Office on the Mac... And, If I recall correctly, Apple got free access and license to use Windows OS architecture through Win XP... IMO, Apple could have done some interesting things right up to Windows 7 with this agreement.
  • Reply 315 of 347
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

deleted post

• Reply 316 of 347
    "[Microsoft needs to start] focusing on what it's good at"

And what is that?
    I honestly can't think of one thing.
  • Reply 317 of 347
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Copying. :p
  • Reply 318 of 347
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Absorbent might be correct if toilet paper was meant for wiping away the crap. I recommend Charmin as it is softer and MS is going to need and use a lot of it to clean up this whole mess that is Surface.

Or maybe confused "pads" with iPad? Who knows

• Reply 319 of 347
    "[Microsoft needs to start] focusing on what it's good at"

And what is that?

Cute Clippy animations.:D
  • Reply 320 of 347
    Copying. :p
    Who says they're any good at it? Zune? Surface RT? Windows Phone?