Apple toying with larger iPhone screen and 13" iPad - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Hey, it's Monday, so there must be another story about a larger iPhone.image

• Reply 22 of 104
    mad1at35mad1at35 Posts: 21member
    News Editor: Keep throwing stories in the air guys until something sticks!
  • Reply 23 of 104
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Makes no sense to me. This is not what iPad users want. Who wants blown up iPhone apps on their iPad? And Why???

So you can move to the iPhone from the iPad, and move to the iPad from the iPhone, without having to buy new software. For instance my mother has an Android phone and an iPad. She likes the iPad where she has lots of apps - self downloaded - and on the Android she has nothing. She just got it because the salesman sold it, normal story. I got her the iPad.

She has asked me would the (more expensive iPhone) be worth it on her next upgrade, in particular could she use her apps. I say, no. Cant be guaranteed. She may have to buy different apps, or the iPhone version.

So no sale. This will encourage universal apps, and nothing will stop people using some iPad UI, and vice versa, where necessary.

• Reply 24 of 104
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I'm wondering if Apple is looking at an OSX variant of the iPad.  Not a convertible MBA, but an iPad big enough to use as a laptop with a "real" operating system.  Scary, but it could be for a "Windows RT" version of the iPad (OSX RT, so to speak). 

[...] Does anyone think Apple would do this?

I do.  Touch screen iMac.   Haswell and lighter glass, full SSD, and you've got the makings of low heat (most of the depth is glass, support for glass, and fan depth), low weight device.  at 13-19" It would be the transition of the iMac/mac Mini line,using BT keyboard and mouse.... and with a $99 'base', it could support thunderbolt and USB3.0, as well has have external speakers, etc.  low weight, high visibility (RD?), it becomes a 

Eventually, I see this as the the iMac line... where the base can built into 24" units as well.... or it's just hung off the wall 

(AppleTV [as an app] anyone?)

The problem is that this would be the component version of the MBAir.  But it being a touch screen makes it interesting in that it's a true lap device.  Long term, though it makes sense.   the MBA and iMac lines merge.   the MBP stands as a product, and the Mac Pro as well... and the Mac Mini evolves into a wall wart sized unit, or the same footprint as the Airport Extreme, in a stackable modular expansion.

• Reply 25 of 104
    bluenixbluenix Posts: 42member

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Having owned both an iPhone 3G and 3G S as well as now the 5, I see the increase in screen size as a considerable drawback. The 3.5 inch screens were much, much easier to use with just one hand, whereas the 5 constantly has to be shuffled around in your hand to be able to reach everything. Increasing the size further will only make things worse.

They can put telephony into an iPad mini for those who desperately need to be able to make phonecalls with their tablets, but stop making the phones bigger every time. Just because the Android gang keeps racing for size doesn't mean that is anything people need. Ever wonder why there's always a "mini" model for every new phablet that comes out?

Same here. Had the 4s and really like the lighter and thinner 5. But the 3.5" felt way better in your hand. It grew on my, but it's definitely not as easy to use. They are surely not going back, but I would rather have them stick with 4" and not get any bigger. Knowing them, they won't change that in the near future. Apple always made it easy for developers on the iOS platform. A change in resolution would not be good for developers, they already have to work on making their apps ready for iOS7.

And of course I hope they experiment with all kinds of sizes and resolutions with their iOS devices. Remember the story when Johnny had a whole room full of potential iPod boxes? Those folks there are obsessed and will try out everything. So there's actually no news here.

• Reply 26 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I love the idea of a 13" iPad–and even a 15"–but a larger iPhone remains idiotic.

[quote name="Eriamjh" url="/t/158591/apple-toying-with-larger-iphone-screen-and-13-ipad-report#post_2365278"]I'm wondering if Apple is looking at an OSX variant of the iPad.[/QUOTE]

No. But they'll be building a larger, OS XI iPad.

OS X will never be on a touchscreen device.
  • Reply 27 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am so buying a 13" ipad if they make it. 13" for home use and the mini for commute. I would also buy a bigger iphone, otherwise when i change my 4s i am getting the low cost version. No way in hell i will pay premium for a 4" phone.

I'm with you! :) I'd much rather have and use a 13" iPad siting on my coffee table, than an iMac in my den.

Sitting at a desktop reminds me too much of being a drone in a cubicle for 8 hours a day....and a laptop reminds of being a "road warrior" drone! Ugh!

iPad and an iPhone and I'm good to go. If they don't make a 13" iPad, I will only have the Mini and the latest and greatest iPhone! :)

At home a cheap Brother MFC printer ($1 print cartridges from Amazon), a Time Capsule, an ATV and a large flatscreen. And that's it....I only have Apple tech in my house (except the printer and TV). I hate the power bricks, cables and clunky workmanship on the hardware and SW of other manufacturers tech.

• Reply 28 of 104
    g-news wrote: »
    Having owned both an iPhone 3G and 3G S as well as now the 5, I see the increase in screen size as a considerable drawback. The 3.5 inch screens were much, much easier to use with just one hand, whereas the 5 constantly has to be shuffled around in your hand to be able to reach everything. Increasing the size further will only make things worse.
    They can put telephony into an iPad mini for those who desperately need to be able to make phonecalls with their tablets, but stop making the phones bigger every time. Just because the Android gang keeps racing for size doesn't mean that is anything people need. Ever wonder why there's always a "mini" model for every new phablet that comes out?

Good points about the 3.5 vs. 4 inch screens. They should've kept a 3.5 version for those who want/need one-handed operation and just added a 4.5 size for people who wanted a larger screen experience and simply don't prioritize one-handed operation. Instead, they came out with a 4 inch screen phone that honestly isn't that pleasing for either group.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    wongayfwongayf Posts: 2member
    A bigger size iPad is useful for map, drawing and flow diagram in business. But it will be even better if it packs with great GPU for gaming! It is not wise for apple not taking into account windows tablet can be a big game changer if they can pack ms office and Xbox into one powerful tablet. It didn't appear right now only because the company is losing direction in catch up. Apple right now has no advantage in both areas. So, take care!
  • Reply 30 of 104
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'd happily buy a 13" or even 15" iPad. The 10" model is already too big for my pocket so anything that fits into my bag is good.

Still waiting a coffee table running iOS too. :)

The only problem with a 13inch, is weight and battery life.  If they can figure out a way to do a 13inch iPad that weights 1.5 lbs or less, long battery life, the hook might grab my inner check and I'd probably bite.  

• Reply 31 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

The S4 has a 4.99" screen.

They were just confusing it with the S3..  Common mistake. Their stuff all seems the same anyway.

• Reply 32 of 104
    drblank wrote: »
    The only problem with a 13inch, is weight and battery life.

How do you know; the product doesn't even exist! It could be physically possible right now.
    If they can figure out a way to do a 13inch iPad that weights 1.5 lbs or less...

Hey now, that was exactly the cutoff I imagined. That–in addition to the fact that the OS for it won't exist for seven more years–is exactly why I think it'll be a while before such a device exists.

It's not going to weigh more than the 1st gen iPad, and it's not going to have shorter than 10 hours of battery life. Apple has made those two things abundantly clear.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Well... now that iPad, iPhone, is ...'commoditized' lack of better word (or nonword), its wise for Apple to look to expand the line up. Single focus is good for new category etc., but now that they set the bench mark... take advantage..
    I have these use cases regarding display etc... just my opinion of course.
    1) everyday walking/sport device/phone... 3.5 is perfect. Dont need or want anything bigger.
    2) Driving... needed a bigger screen for maps. (Id consider buying a bluetooth display if there is such a thing... just for the map display etc)
    3) airplane... present ipad is fine, mini would be fine too.
    4) home- present ipad is ok but if there were a light ipad with a bigger screen... that would be tempting.

Im sure Apple brain storms all these scenarios and weights the 80 percent use case decisions that best fits all these (and other) scenarios.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    They are just toying with us. Just release them.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Good points about the 3.5 vs. 4 inch screens. They should've kept a 3.5 version for those who want/need one-handed operation and just added a 4.5 size for people who wanted a larger screen experience and simply don't prioritize one-handed operation. Instead, they came out with a 4 inch screen phone that honestly isn't that pleasing for either group.

Yup, agree. But to be fair to Apple, my understanding they may not be able to fit the LTE chips etc in a 3.5 size.
  • Reply 36 of 104
    I can't believe some of you are stuck on the "it's stupid to make a bigger iPhone" ideology. You were all probably making the same comments about the iPad mini because the iPad was the perfect size. It wasn't. Different people want different things. I often see people using two hands to type on their iPhone. I want a bigger iPhone. The iPhone 5 is too small for me. I know tons of friends that want bigger phones. In fact I'm a huge apple fanboy and am jealous of the GS4.
  • Reply 37 of 104
    simsonic wrote: »
    Different people want different things.

And dumb people want dumb things, yes.

Making the product that people tell you they want is the wrong thing to do.
    I often see people using two hands to type on their iPhone.

... So? What does that have to do with anything, and what does that do to help your point? It's called being able to type quickly. I type with both thumbs on my first-gen. It's really the only way to type in a meaningful amount of time. Why is that somehow proof that a larger iPhone would be good at all, much less better?
    The iPhone 5 is too small for me.

How?
    I know tons of friends that want bigger phones.

Your anecdotes are as admissible as everyone else's.
    In fact I'm a huge apple fanboy and am jealous of the GS4.

Just go away.
  • Reply 38 of 104
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    g-news wrote: »

Valid for you. The point of multiple sizes is that for some use by one hand is not their top priority. That's why Apple's computers come in varied sized as do their iPads now. Having varied sized iPhones only increases sales and customer satisfaction.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    13 inch iPad? If they can make it light enough I'm all for it. 13 inch's is much closer to a paper magazine in size, and I read a lot of hobbyist magazines, it would be nice for me if the electronic versions of these mag's were closer in size to the real thing. The 9.7 inch iPad is still a little on the small side for that.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    13" iPad would be amazing for enterprise (by that I mean the workplace, not the starship).