Can't get airport extreme to work!??!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Help!!!!

I just got an airport extreme basestation and I can't get 'net access with it! I can print wirelessly and my computer sees the airport network, but for some reason I can't get it to serve up some web pages...

I live in the dorms at MSU and we are using DHCP....

Anything will help at this point...

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    are you plugging the ethernet into the WAN or LAN port?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    well- I've tried both but while messing around with the setting its been plugged into the WAN port

I thought the LAN port was just for connecting other computers to it
  • Reply 3 of 22
    your network connection is through an LAN, that is how i have my BS set up on my school network

MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT DISTRIBUTE IP ADDRESSES!!!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    so should I plug it into the LAN port or WAN port?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    the basestation is getting a 169 IP address- this isn't a good sign I guess...
  • Reply 6 of 22
    heh LAN sorry for being unclear

i dont know exactly how to configure the ABS, i just kinda plugged it in and played with it a bit until it worked... in fact i shut down the internet on my floor once too because i distributed IP addresses over the LAN... heh be careful
  • Reply 7 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by tacojohn:

<strong>the basestation is getting a 169 IP address- this isn't a good sign I guess...</strong><hr></blockquote>

unless you are getting the IP as 255.255.254.0 or something generic like that i wouldn't worry too much
  • Reply 8 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It should be in the WAN port. Otherwise it won't work.

If you're trying to serve from behind the BS, you've got to do port mapping.

Again, it should be in the WAN port. (The one with the symbol that looks like the spinning activity cursor in mail.app or the finder.) I've spent many many hours trying to get my cable modem to work because I plugged it in the wrong port. I've now put a sticker on the bottom of my BS pointing to the WAN port saying "It's this one, idiot".
  • Reply 9 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

unless you are getting the IP as 255.255.254.0 or something generic like that i wouldn't worry too much</strong><hr></blockquote>

169.x.x.x are self-assigned IP addresses. It means it's not getting an IP address from the DHCP server. 255.x.x.x is the subnet mask, a totally different thing.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Again, it should be in the WAN port. (The one with the symbol that looks like the spinning activity cursor in mail.app or the finder.) I've spent many many hours trying to get my cable modem to work because I plugged it in the wrong port. I've now put a sticker on the bottom of my BS pointing to the WAN port saying "It's this one, idiot".</strong><hr></blockquote>

on my cable modem at home this is true, but at school, because i am connecting to a network it is the LAN port

my ABS is working right now this way
  • Reply 11 of 22

<strong>

169.x.x.x are self-assigned IP addresses. It means it's not getting an IP address from the DHCP server. 255.x.x.x is the subnet mask, a totally different thing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

therefore it would follow that 169.xx.xx.xx is a generic address, in which case would mean a problem... which was the gist of my post.

sure i didn't know that 169.xx.xx.xx was a self-generated number, but the intention of the post was correct...
  • Reply 12 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

on my cable modem at home this is true, but at school, because i am connecting to a network it is the LAN port

my ABS is working right now this way</strong><hr></blockquote>

Gottcha. I wasn't implying you were wrong at all. I was just saying what I had to do. I didn't mean to seem questioning of you.

I still don't understand the intent behind your second post, though. You said don't worry about the 169.x.x.x thing, didn't you? Doesn't matter....

BTW, my posts were related to a snow ABS not an AE ABS. I don't know if that would make any difference.
  • Reply 13 of 22

<strong>I still don't understand the intent behind your second post, though. You said don't worry about the 169.x.x.x thing, didn't you? Doesn't matter.... </strong><hr></blockquote>yeah in retrospect i shouldn't have posted about that at all, just showed how little i know about the subject. I just wanted to make sure taco wouldn't get frustrated if it didn't work because i also had problems setting mine up.

<strong> [quote]BTW, my posts were related to a snow ABS not an AE ABS. I don't know if that would make any difference.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah i have a snow ABS also, but i doubt it would make a difference

taco-what model AEBS do you have w/ or w/o a modem?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    OK

well- the distribute IP addresses thing now gives me what appears to be a valid IP address- when connected to the WAN port.

When I connect to the LAN port it gives me that bad IP (169)

but still no internet

one funky thing is the iChat tries to log in as if it sees some type of network connection, but then no luck

on a side not- you guys have no idea what I went through today to get my internet connection back (I didn't have my DHCP login or ID whatever in). I called apple, I called our school support center, I went to the support center, I WAS SOOOOOO MAD!

Anyway- I figured all that out, now I need to get the base station working....

thanks for the help so far

I hope apple calls tomorrow...

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: tacojohn ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I work at a university on the support staff so here goes nothing.

First you need to make sure that the network knows that the base station is you. Most universities register the MAC address of the puter originally attached to the network. Did you have to register your network connection at the beginning of the semester??? Are you supplying multiple IP addresses beyond your port?? Servers can be detected beyond your port unless you are careful. We search for "rogue" servers here. Few things to try but not nec in line with school policies. Try spoofing your computers MAC address on the BS. Make sure all IP addresses you are sending are like 999.999.999.01 or some really long IP that the routers wouldn't think of checking. That's all I can tell you without knowing more.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    what more would you like to know and where can I change my mac address??
  • Reply 17 of 22
    thanks guys- I just had to register the basestation with the DHCP server and then I was all set...

WAAAAAHOOOOO!
  • Reply 18 of 22

<strong>thanks guys- I just had to register the basestation with the DHCP server and then I was all set...

WAAAAAHOOOOO!</strong><hr></blockquote>

So was it the LAN or WAN port?

Go heels.

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 22
    WAN Port...

But another problem is a lot of people on my floor are using 2.4GHz phones and we also have one- and my airport signal gets cut off every time someone uses a phone- is there any way that I can fix that?
  • Reply 20 of 22

<strong>WAN Port...

But another problem is a lot of people on my floor are using 2.4GHz phones and we also have one- and my airport signal gets cut off every time someone uses a phone- is there any way that I can fix that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try changing channels on the phone.