iPhone 5 accounts for half of Apple's smartphone sales, iPhone 4S takes 30%

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
More than half of all smartphones sold by Apple in June were the latest-generation iPhone 5, according to new data, while the iPhone 4S, first released in 2011, accounted for 30 percent of sales.

CIRP

With the iPhone 5 taking 52 percent and the iPhone 4S earning 30 percent of sales, the remaining 18 percent were iPhone 4 sales, according to data released on Monday by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners to AppleInsider.

The data shows how the average selling price of the iPhone has steadily declined, as customers have increasingly turned to the legacy iPhone 4S and iPhone 4. When the iPhone 5 first launched, early adopters helped push it to 68 percent of all iPhone sales in October 2012, but its share quickly eased to 50 percent by December.

"iPhone 5 appears to have settled in at about half of all iPhone sales, nine months after its initial launch," CIRP said. "In contrast, the earlier flagship model, iPhone 4S, accounted for almost three-quarters of iPhone sales almost a year after its launch. Furthermore, iPhone 4S had 90 percent of all iPhone sales in the period immediately after launch , compared to about 70 percent for iPhone 5."

The data is yet another example of how the average selling price of the iPhone has declined as the smartphone market matures. Some market watchers expect that future growth in the smartphone space will come largely from low- and mid-tier handsets.

That's helped to fuel speculation that Apple will launch a new mid-tier iPhone this year that would allow the company to expand its addressable market. There have also been leaked renderings, 3D mockups, and even alleged parts of the anticipated "iPhone Lite."

CIRP

Another element of growth for Apple has been carrier expansion, and the data released Monday by CIRP found that Apple's latest carrier partner in the U.S., T-Mobile, accounted for 12 percent of American sales. That meant T-Mobile exceeded Sprint, even though Sprint has a larger install base.

T-Mobile's strong start took share from AT&T, which dropped from 49 percent of sales to 44 percent, as well as Verizon, which fell from 39 percent to 34 percent. As the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S., T-Mobile has more aggressive pricing than its competitors and attracts budget-minded consumers, which could make it a key player if Apple were to release an "iPhone Lite."

Finally, CIRP's data found that more than half of iPhone buyers in June were upgrading from a competing platform or were buying their first smartphone. While 24 percent were switching from standard mobile phones, 26 percent jumped from Google's Android platform, and 7 percent came from BlackBerry. Among existing iPhone users, most ? 18 percent ? were upgrading from the iPhone 4, while 13 percent came from the iPhone 4S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "But but but but but the iPhone 5 isn't selling! It's just the same thing Apple has always made! People don't want rehashes anymore! They're on to your tricks, Apple!"

Ah, remember that in the first quarter it was available? You'd think people that stupid would learn to shut up. :lol:
  • Reply 2 of 44
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Once possible reason: The 4S does not LACK any of the features of the 5.

In other words, there's nothing the 5 can do the 4S cannot.

That should change with iOS7 and the 5S.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    So what is the report based on? Same method (guesses ;) ) that some of the other analysts use?

Actual model sales data from carriers and third-party resellers? Probably not but there's nothing explaining how they came up with the statistics. Perhaps they have very reliable data that identifies the specific model involved in each "sale" but if so they don't mention it nor where it comes from. Perhaps AI could expand on it a bit more.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Where is this data coming from since Apple doesn't break out sales by model and hasn't announced earnings yet so we don't know the most current ASP?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    eriamjh wrote: »

Well, except play my 16:9 videos full screen.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    eriamjh wrote: »

:no:

There is just no end to people's lack of understanding.

Is it really that hard to understand? Do you honestly need it spelled out?

P.R.I.C.E.

The reason 30% of Apple's iPhone sales last month were a 2011 phone is because it was HALF the up front cost of the iPhone 5. There are a lot of people that simply don't care. There are a lot of people that are not going to make a buying decision based on much else other than PRICE....

50% iPhone 5
    30% iPhone 4S..

That leaves the remaining 20%....which was the iPhone 4. Again, major price influenced decision here. This has been the case almost every year since Apple started offering last year's phone, and the one before that as Free.

THIS is why Apple is being smart this year, and finally building a NEW phone to introduce into the $0 w/ contract and $99 w/ contract price point. These points are HUGE< MASSIVE < UNBELIVABLE. And account for HALF, 50% of all of Apple's iPhone sales at any given time.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    pmz wrote: »
    THIS is why Apple is being smart this year, and finally building a NEW phone to introduce into the $0 w/ contract and $99 w/ contract price point. These points are HUGE< MASSIVE < UNBELIVABLE. And account for HALF, 50% of all of Apple's iPhone sales at any given time.

Thanks for all that proof, by the way.

Never mind that Apple has made 75% of the profit in the ENTIRE CELL PHONE INDUSTRY by (according to you) "not being smart". :no:

Come off it, man.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

There is just no end to people's lack of understanding.

Is it really that hard to understand? Do you honestly need it spelled out?

Huh?

• Reply 9 of 44
    Am I confused? This is talking about sales and if the iPhone 5 costs 2x what the iPhone 4S costs (I have had friends being offered the iPhone 4S for free, so on the sales front, it would be $0) so are they moving more iPhone 4S's then iPhone 5's?

So to track this by sales seems a little misleading as they move less of the more expensive model (iPhone 5) and more of the cheaper model (iPhone 4S, or iPhone 4) and the sales is higher on the iPhone 5, yet they move more of the iPhone 4S (by my rought calculation). After looking at Verizons website, they only offer the 16gb model, so they could move (4) iPhone 4S's and (1) iPhone 5 64gb and the sales are equal, yet the quantity is totally different. I read this article at first thinking they are trying to say that more people are adapting to the iPhone 5, but now I think just the opposite, that people dont really care as much as the percentages they are stating say.

Did I read this wrong?
  • Reply 10 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't you mean ... "Thanks for all that poof, by the way"

• Reply 11 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So what is the report based on? Same method (guesses image ) that some of the other analysts use?

Actual model sales data from carriers and third-party resellers? Probably not but there's nothing explaining how they came up with the statistics. Perhaps they have very reliable data that identifies the specific model involved in each "sale" but if so they don't mention it nor where it comes from. Perhaps AI could expand on it a bit more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Where is this data coming from since Apple doesn't break out sales by model and hasn't announced earnings yet so we don't know the most current ASP?

Amongst the myriad methods used by analysts to gather data, my fav is sending junior analysts (or interns/students?) to Apple stores and carrier stores to count what people buy.

• Reply 12 of 44
    Don't you mean ... "Thanks for all that poof, by the way"

Poof as in 'fluff'? I don't feel he padded his opinion too much. :p
  • Reply 13 of 44
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

20% seems low for the i4 given that they are given away for 'free'  Does the data count the iPhone 5's given away as a free upgrade as a sale?  My guess is yes since Apple still gets their subsidy and that would obviously skew things in the 5's direction.  'Free' is pretty powerful in the US.

• Reply 14 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Poof as in 'fluff'? I don't feel he padded his opinion too much. image

The kinder, gentler TS ...

But to me, verbosity without substance is poof.

• Reply 15 of 44
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

It's all about the money money money.

• Reply 16 of 44
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

It remains to be seen if this is a good thing. Just because the 5 has a higher price doesn't mean it has higher margins. 

• Reply 17 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">Amongst the myriad methods used by analysts to gather data, my fav is sending junior analysts (or interns/students?) to Apple stores and carrier stores to count what people buy.</span>
    I hate when headlines don't use words like rumor or analyst estimate. Cult of Mac is notorious for throwing every possible rumor up on their site with the headline stating it as fact, not speculation or rumor. This headline reads like a statement of fact when it's clearly not. It's just an estimate.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

LTE capability is a "feature" and the 4 series phones do not have that.

• Reply 19 of 44

Half were upgrading from a competitor or non-smartphone.

But but but - fandroids keep telling me Apple only survives by reselling over and over to the same sheep.

• Reply 20 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Never mind that Apple has made 75% of the profit in the ENTIRE CELL PHONE INDUSTRY by (according to you) "not being smart". :no:

Come off it, man.

???

What are you even talking about?

Was I not clear on my simple summary of the obvious and the factual?

Facts:

1. We hear reports all the time of how incredibly successful the venture has been to continue selling New iPhones of the previous and previous 2 generations, as lower price points.

2. These data in this article alone corroborate that, and moreover give specific numbers.

Not Yet Fact, but obviously going to be:

1. Apple has decided that they can capitalize on an already successful market segment: the people that buy previous generations would be even more inclined to buy a current generation if they were priced the same and, well, were the only 'New' option in that category.

Enter Apple's low cost iPhone. The purpose of this iPhone to offer a category of iPhone that replaces the old way of simply selling out of date phones. What I assume this will do for Apple is make this venture more profitable, as:
    -they won't have to maintain out of date manufacturing processes and assembly lines.
    -they can have one cohesive and evolvable manufacturing process.
    -they can have one design that fits the market segment even better.
    -they can charge a little bit less (not much) for the device when off contract is considered (probably around $399).