Apple toying with larger iPhone screen and 13" iPad - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    jonshfjonshf Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'd happily buy a 13" or even 15" iPad. The 10" model is already too big for my pocket so anything that fits into my bag is good.

Still waiting a coffee table running iOS too. :)

Agreed. I think the iOS economy is big enough to support the following:

4" iphone for ultimate portability

5" iphone for those who want a phablet

8" ipad for tablet mobility

10" ipad - the classic size

13" ipad for the coffee table etc

How they work out the resolution issues is the main task. Retina resolutions will take most of the fuzziness out of resizing pixel-perfect apps to fit (before the developer releases a native version).

• Reply 42 of 104
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    Business would like this. I find i am using my iPad to present more and more... Retail... there are some applications I think a larger screen would be advantage... Really having a full range of sizes is not a bad idea, there are so many untapped uses for these things... I use one to show my portfolio to clients, I love the mini for personal use, I have one my desk with just stock info.. my kids watch movies, games... its just so versatile... more sizes please.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    asdasd wrote: »
    So you can move to the iPhone from the iPad, and move to the iPad from the iPhone, without having to buy new software. For instance my mother has an Android phone and an iPad. She likes the iPad where she has lots of apps - self downloaded - and on the Android she has nothing. She just got it because the salesman sold it, normal story. I got her the iPad.

She has asked me would the (more expensive iPhone) be worth it on her next upgrade, in particular could she use her apps. I say, no. Cant be guaranteed. She may have to buy different apps, or the iPhone version.

So no sale. This will encourage universal apps, and nothing will stop people using some iPad UI, and vice versa, where necessary.

I think you gave your mother terribly misleading advice. Most apps are in fact of the "+" kind where one purchase provides a dedicated app for both the iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 44 of 104
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    jonshf wrote: »
    How they work out the resolution issues is the main task.

If they stuck with the same resolution as the Retina iPad, the physical size of a 13" model would allow them to run two apps side-by-side with the physical dimensions of two iPad Minis with an exact 50/50 split down the middle of the screen. When rotated, both apps would have to rotate and the split switch orientation.

It could be a bit heavy though. Regardless, these 'reports' are just the same things that have been swirled around for years:

http://www.devicemag.com/2010/02/01/apple-rumored-to-be-making-a-bigger-ipad-version-that-would-run-mac-os-x/

It's getting a bit tiring seeing the same threads over and over. We know some people like bigger screens but until there are photos of bigger iOS devices, I think it's safer to just assume Apple has no such thing in the works rather than endlessly regurgitate the same talking points. It's been years now and it hasn't happened and I don't think it's likely to happen this year because this is the year they do the spec upgrades not the design changes.
  • Reply 45 of 104
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jonshf wrote: »
    Agreed. I think the iOS economy is big enough to support the following:

4" iphone for ultimate portability
    5" iphone for those who want a phablet
    Well 4" isn't exactly ultimate portability. I prefer the 3.5" myself, and even that's not ultimate. I'd like to see maybe a 3" form factor, especially if they are going to force the 4" aspect ratio on me ...

There's absolutely no reason not to have a 5"+ phone if there's a market for it. Just put the same guts in a new case with a larger battery and screen and it's the ultimate power management phone. The premium Apple can charge more than makes up for the new case design. Sadly, going smaller on the other hand is not as easy.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    There's absolutely no reason not to have a 5"+ phone if there's a market for it.

Of course there is. What sort of nonsense statement is that?
  • Reply 47 of 104
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    simsonic wrote: »
    In fact I'm a huge apple fanboy and am jealous of the GS4.

• Reply 48 of 104
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

As a performing musician, regularly using ForScore, PLEASE bring on the 13-incher!

P.S.  Phone size is already optimal, no need for anything larger.

• Reply 49 of 104
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

13" iPad would be amazing for enterprise (by that I mean the workplace, not the starship).

And just what is wrong with having it on a starship???
  • Reply 50 of 104
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

I can't believe some of you are stuck on the "it's stupid to make a bigger iPhone" ideology. You were all probably making the same comments about the iPad mini because the iPad was the perfect size.

Indeed. Lots of the fans here were all over the place with comments like "Apple will never do that"...   Unfortunatly, it will be a big suprise if Apple release a bigger iphone this year, I am affraid its not going to be until 2014. Well at least we will be getting a low cost version this year.

• Reply 51 of 104
    As someone who now suffers from nerve damage in the fingers, the smallish (comparatively speaking) screen of the iPhones have stopped me from purchasing one. It's especially upsetting since I've been Apple since 1979 (okay, I've been labeled a "Fanboy" but accept the compliment).

And while a larger screened iPad would siphon sales from the MacBook Air laptops, reasonable pricing starting at maybe $699 or $799 might be a niche Apple develop. I would certainly pay $1000 or so for a 13" 256 gig WiFi 4G iPad. Too expensive? Not for someone who does't need a keyboard 90% of the time. And for graphics, I've got my trusty, really reliable 27" iMac.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

As long as Seven of Nine is there, nothing is wrong.  Nothing at all. :)

• Reply 53 of 104
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Making the product that people tell you they want is the wrong thing to do.

Well, depends of youre point of view. I could say people paying $650 for a premium 4" phone are idiots because I need a bigger screen, but since I understand some people do prefer a smaller screen I wont.

It will be interesting to see how the sales of the low cost iphone will compare to the high end 5s. If fact, I would be very curious to see how a low cost 4", a high end 4" and a high end 5" sales would split up. If Apple can come up with a way to manage screen resolution and apps for all 3 models, it would be in Apple best interest to release them.

• Reply 54 of 104
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    boeyc15 wrote: »

They already have one. I don't see any Apple logo. Sucks.

http://wp.appadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Screen-shot-2010-03-30-at-3.57.45-PM.png
  • Reply 55 of 104
    And dumb people want dumb things, yes.

LOL how is choice bad? If there's a market for it, might as well make it. Are some of the MB Air or MB Pro or iPad sizes "dumb" just because you personally prefer another size?
  • Reply 56 of 104
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

I can't believe some of you are stuck on the "it's stupid to make a bigger iPhone" ideology. You were all probably making the same comments about the iPad mini because the iPad was the perfect size. It wasn't. Different people want different things. I often see people using two hands to type on their iPhone. I want a bigger iPhone. The iPhone 5 is too small for me. I know tons of friends that want bigger phones. In fact I'm a huge apple fanboy and am jealous of the GS4.

Oh you should have seen all the frothing at the mouth here about the stupidity of Samsung to make a 7" tablet.  The Lord Jobs said nothing smaller than the original iPad could be any good because their research proved it.  Of course everyone agreed with Jobs until the iPad min came out, then it was the best idea since sliced bread.

I'm almost surprised there weren't claims that Samsung copied Apple because they had advance knowledge and beat them to market with their own idea.

• Reply 57 of 104
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

LOL how is choice bad? If there's a market for it, might as well make it. Are some of the MB Air or MB Pro or iPad sizes "dumb" just because you personally prefer another size?

I'm not going to call it "dumb" per se, but I see it as a bad move -- and an anti-Apple one at that -- to create more and more products for no discernible benefit.

Right now, Apple produces a very small number of products.  This has been a VERY successful formula for years now.  Why would Apple want to try and be Dell or Samsung?  Let Dell and Samsung be Dell and Samsung.

Apple should maintain their eagle-eyed focus on the handful of products they make (plus the few they no doubt have in the pipeline).  

• Reply 58 of 104
    aaronj wrote: »
    I'm not going to call it "dumb" per se, but I see it as a bad move -- and an anti-Apple one at that -- to create more and more products for no discernible benefit.

Right now, Apple produces a very small number of products.  This has been a VERY successful formula for years now.  Why would Apple want to try and be Dell or Samsung?  Let Dell and Samsung be Dell and Samsung.

Apple should maintain their eagle-eyed focus on the handful of products they make (plus the few they no doubt have in the pipeline).  

So would it have been better to have only one size MB Air, MB Pro, iMac, iPad, etc. then? "Discernable benefit" has always been highly subjective.
  • Reply 59 of 104
    Of course there is. What sort of nonsense statement is that?

And what reason is that? Pride? Arrogance? Whatever the reason might be, it's not a smart business decision.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

You'll learn about TS the longer you come here. His opinions are facts and other's opinions are worthless.