Samsung launches its own "WWDC" as an alternative to Google IO

Comments

• Reply 20 of 67
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    [B]SSDC [/B] ---> SamSuckers Developers Conference
  • Reply 22 of 67

Be sure to check out Session 206: What's New in Ovens and Washers.

• Reply 23 of 67
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Tizen, which can act as an alternative to Android to host Samsung's own TouchWiz.

Alternative developer conference today: Samsung Developer Conference.

Alternative to Android tomorrow: Tizen.

This is Samsung's chance to differentiate themselves even further from the generic whitebox Chinese Android hardware makers.  Not by forking Android.  By replacing it with Tizen.  And the way to successfully transition from Android to Tizen is by getting developers to transition to Tizen first.

Why Tizen?  Because Google is becoming increasingly distracted by Glass and Chrome and various other engineering drains (self-driving cars, anybody?)  Samsung is one of two corporations on the Tizen Technical Steering Group, Intel being the other.  So Tizen will allow Samsung to control their own destiny.  Right now, they don't.

• Reply 24 of 67
    leesmith wrote: »
    Google is going to get screwed by Samsung. It's only a matter of when.

'Twas an evening in October, I'll confess I wasn't sober,
        I was carting home a load with manly pride,
    When my feet began to stutter and I fell into the gutter,
        And a pig came up and lay down by my side.
    Then I lay there in the gutter and my heart was all a-flutter,
       A high-toned lady, passing by, did chance to say:
    "You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"
        Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Forking Android in 5,4,3,...

...and Galaxy OS in 2, 1....

• Reply 26 of 67
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Samsung's bleeding of Google is about to start...

I'll bet this is beginning to raise eyebrows at Googleplex. :)

• Reply 27 of 67
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Don't all Samsung phones use Google Play?   If yes, then what is the purpose of having a Samsung developers conference?   

Is Samsung launching a competitor to Google Play? 

Samsung already has a competitor to Google Play: http://apps.samsung.com

• Reply 28 of 67
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    We need spies at this conference. I specifically can't wait to see the design of their presentation slides. I can bet $500 that they will look exactly like the Apple ones, using the same sparse layout, minimal text-per-slide, white-on-black background.

In fact, I will wager another $500 that they will use Keynote to create their keynote.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Alternative developer conference today: <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Samsung Developer Conference</span>

This is Samsung's chance to differentiate themselves even further from the generic whitebox Chinese Android hardware makers.  Not by forking Android.  By replacing it with Tizen.  And the way to successfully transition from Android to Tizen is by getting developers to transition to Tizen first.

Why Tizen?  Because Google is becoming increasingly distracted by Glass and Chrome and various other engineering drains (self-driving cars, anybody?)  Samsung is one of two corporations on the Tizen Technical Steering Group, Intel being the other.  So Tizen will allow Samsung to control their own destiny.  Right now, they don't.

Yup. . .
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-postpones-launch-of-first-Tizen-smartphone_id44796

According to reports by Korean media, the tech giant is postponing the launch of this device (or devices) by a couple of months. In other words, Tizen powered handsets likely won't be on the market earlier than October or November, 2013.

The reason behind the delay is said to be related to the software ecosystem, which Samsung wants to build prior to releasing its first Tizen smartphone. Simply put, the company prefers to build a solid catalog of apps and then make the smartphone official, not the other way around.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    jessi wrote: »
    This is not a ripoff. Developer conferences have been going on since the 1980s. Sure, Apple's WWDC is now one of the longer standing developer conferences, because Apple had its own platform. Microsoft has been running conferences probably equally as long. Prior to that there was the homebrew computer club, and from that same era have spring an entire spectrum of conferences from comdex to CES to tiny conferences for small products, all of which have a developer component.

It is the headline of this article that calls it "WWDC", but there's really nothing that appears here to be copying Apple specifically.

Let's be serious here-- Mimicking the Apple store with their own company stores is copying apple. Ripping off the UI of iOS and the design of the iPhone is copying Apple. The "Samsung developers conference" is not copying Apple.

Geesh!
    When everything the rich wallflower does emulates the beauty queen, to be a beauty queen, it is copy.

Addendum: And where're they going to hold it? A tea room.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Don't all Samsung phones use Google Play?   If yes, then what is the purpose of having a Samsung developers conference?   

Is Samsung launching a competitor to Google Play? 

Samsung launched a Google Play competitor called Samsung Hub.

Here's a press release about it:  http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=22881

So yes, apparently all Samsung phones that run Android can use Google Play,

but Sammy played it down on the original S4 in favor of Samsung Hub.  There's a special 

"S4 Google Play Edition," which runs a somewhat more vanilla version of Android that,

presumably, features Google Play more prominently.

But the writing is on the wall.  Sammy is ready and willing to branch (fork?) out on

their own.  With or without Google Play, with or without Android even.

• Reply 32 of 67
    mikejones wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">Samsung already has a competitor to Google Play: http://apps.samsung.com</span>

And this is them doubling down on it.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    We need spies at this conference. I specifically can't wait to see the design of their presentation slides. I can bet $500 that they will look exactly like the Apple ones, using the same sparse layout, minimal text-per-slide, white-on-black background.

In fact, I will wager another $500 that they will use Keynote to create their keynote.

Sammy has a new app for this... SKeyNote!
  • Reply 34 of 67
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    'Twas an evening in October, I'll confess I wasn't sober,
        I was carting home a load with manly pride,
    When my feet began to stutter and I fell into the gutter,
        And a pig came up and lay down by my side.
    Then I lay there in the gutter and my heart was all a-flutter,
       A high-toned lady, passing by, did chance to say:
    "You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"
        Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Now this fine turn to the poetic form is proof that AI stands tall against the plebeian sites that purport to speak on the field of higher tech.

Bow proud and long, brave Applebaum.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    sockrolid wrote: »

Tizen will actually run Android apps via a compatibility layer:

http://tizentalk.com/2012/05/run-android-apps-on-tizen/

[VIDEO]

"Sounds good to be true but OpenMobile World Wide, Inc., via their Application Compatibility Layer (ACL) product, will let you run 400,000+ Android apps on Tizen smartphones, tablets, IVIs, and connected TVs. They promise 100% compatibility, natively run without latencies, with zero developer effort."

There shouldn't be any lag or UI ugliness that Android users aren't already used to by now. Samsung could switch away from Android as soon as they wanted and the developers would go with them. This would cut Android in half. Some people think that Samsung would be making a big mistake and that the users love Android but customers don't care at all about Android itself, just what it enables them to do. Tizen would do the same thing and more.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

All perfectly normal in the tech industry on open platforms. Prior to Oracle buying Sun for example, Sun ran JavaOne, Oracle ran OpenWorld, IBM had a Java-focused dev conference, as did RedHat, then there's Devoxx.

As for forking, the fundamental definition of open source is the right to fork. I realize this is incredibly hard for some people to understand, especially those fixated on all iteration and inspiration being "theft" or "copy". When VicG introduced Android at I/O, he specifically said the intent was to allow people to heavily modify it. For example, to use it to create devices that have nothing to do with it's original intent, much like Linux is now at the heart of many consumer electronics devices in your home, like routers, cable modems, DVRs/cable boxes, TV firmware, etc. 

Frankly, if Android didn't get forked, you'd have to say it wasn't open-source. Linux has been forked like crazy, and rather than weaken it, its stronger than ever. As long as Android serves its duty of preventing any one player from owning the mobile market, it will have done its job in preserving competition.

• Reply 37 of 67
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

What operating system does Samsung make that people need to attend a WWDC for?  Bada?  Tizen? (chuckle)

And how many devices running either of those two OSs? How many developers develop for those two platforms?  How many apps currently exist for those two platforms. What's the yearly revenue for the apps on these two platforms? 

And how much money are paying these developers to attend.

• Reply 38 of 67
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Nice to see they're going all the way with copying Apple! They might as well go completely all out and start their own Samsung Retail Stores (outside of Best Buy)

Yep. I might want to consider a refrigerator when I am purchasing my phone! image

• Reply 39 of 67
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Tizen will actually run Android apps via a compatibility layer:

http://tizentalk.com/2012/05/run-android-apps-on-tizen/

[VIDEO]

"Sounds good to be true but OpenMobile World Wide, Inc., via their Application Compatibility Layer (ACL) product, will let you run 400,000+ Android apps on Tizen smartphones, tablets, IVIs, and connected TVs. They promise 100% compatibility, natively run without latencies, with zero developer effort."

There shouldn't be any lag or UI ugliness that Android users aren't already used to by now. Samsung could switch away from Android as soon as they wanted and the developers would go with them. This would cut Android in half. Some people think that Samsung would be making a big mistake and that the users love Android but customers don't care at all about Android itself, just what it enables them to do. Tizen would do the same thing and more.

Galaxy OS (Tizen) will be here sooner than later.

Will it affect Google other than a pride standpoint? Not sure. People will likely keep using Google services and viewing mobile ads.
  • Reply 40 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Google is going to get screwed by Samsung. It's only a matter of when.

Samsung will have to stand in line until MotoMo is finished screwing Google.