Apple's iOS maintains dominance over Android with 63% mobile browsing share

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New mobile Web browsing data shows that iOS users remain far more active on the Internet than their Android counterparts, with Apple's devices accounting for nearly two-thirds of all domestic mobile website traffic.

Piper Jaffray

With data pulled from 70 of the most popular mobile websites in the U.S., Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray found that traffic from iOS devices increased by 2.6 percentage points to capture 63 percent of domestic mobile traffic share. Android also saw a slight increase of 0.2 percentage points over the past four weeks, putting the platform at 28 percent ? less than half of Apple's share.

Other competing platforms, such as Microsoft's Windows Phone or BlackBerry 10, could only muster a collective 8 percent share as of July 19. That was down 2.6 percentage points over the last month.

In a research note to investors on Monday, Munster highlighted the fact that Apple's iOS platform was responsible for 80 percent of smartphone sales at AT&T in the first quarter of the year, while more than half of all smartphones activated at Verizon in the June quarter were iPhones. However, he said Apple's dominance among Web browsing it's not just attributable to the fact that the iPhone is the most popular smartphone in the U.S. ? iOS users are also clearly. more engaged with their devices than those who use Android.

Finally, Munster said that the iOS platform also sees a strong boost from tablets, where Apple's iPad lineup is again the market leader. Looking forward, he believes future products like a next-generation iPhone and a more affordable "iPhone Lite" will help maintain Apple's lead in mobile browser market share.

On a global scale, Android continues to outpace iOS in terms of market share, shipping on 59.5 percent of all worldwide "smart mobile devices" ??tablets, smartphones and laptops ? in the first quarter of calendar 2013. For that same period, Apple took a 19.3 percent share, according to Canalys.

Munster views Apple as "the leader in the mobile device and digital content distribution markets," and remains bullish on the company's stock. Piper Jaffray has maintained its $655 price target for AAPL shares, and continues to rate the company as "overweight."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    More pie chart wars.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Why are we discussing "mobile browsing" when I suspect these stats are combined smart phone and tablet numbers for the platform?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Why are we discussing "mobile browsing" when I suspect these stats are combined smart phone and tablet numbers for the platform?

This rise the question of ads. Do we know if Apple is taking a cut on ads shown in google apps?

• Reply 4 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Related, another report to be taken with a few grains of salt today claimed Google is now handling about 25% of all web traffic in the US, up by a huge amount from the 6% estimated 3 years ago. If accurate Google may be handling more web traffic than Facebook, Netflix, and Instagram combined.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    negafox wrote: »

How is a tablet not mobile?
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Related, another report to be taken with a few grains of salt today claimed Google is now handling about 25% of all web traffic in the US, up by a huge amount from the 6% estimated 3 years ago. If accurate Google may be handling more web traffic than Facebook, Netflix, and Instagram combined.

• Reply 6 of 28
    How is a tablet not mobile?

Why would this Piper-Jaffrey report be trusted anymore than another from a few weeks ago?;)
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156667/apples-earnings-predicted-to-shrink-14-in-first-half-of-2013-but-grow-15-to-close-the-year
  • Reply 7 of 28

LOL! You've been saving that one for that "special moment". 8-)

EDIT: Here's the source for the 25% of all web traffic claim:
    http://www.deepfield.net/2013/07/google-sets-new-internet-record/
  • Reply 8 of 28
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    If no one browses, then Google makes no money on ads.

Google is highly dependent on Apple because iOS users actually browse on the internet a lot. Most Android uses do not.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    gatorguy wrote: »
    EDIT: Here's the source for the 25% of all web traffic claim:
    http://www.deepfield.net/2013/07/google-sets-new-internet-record/

Okay, well, since we're going off "end devices sending traffic to Google servers", I might actually buy that claim.

Because Google [REDACTED] Ads are [REDACTED] everywhere.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Androiders browses and surf? What a novel idea.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Okay, well, since we're going off "end devices sending traffic to Google servers", I might actually buy that claim.

Because Google [REDACTED] Ads are [REDACTED] everywhere.

Oh, the figure for "end devices sending traffic to Google servers in NA is over 60% according to the report.
    "Based on measurements of end device and user audience share, Google is now bigger than Facebook, Netflix and Twitter combined.

An amazing 60% of all Internet end devices/users exchange traffic with Google servers during the course of an average day. This analysis includes computers and mobile device as well as hundreds of varieties game consoles, home media appliances, and other embedded devices (Google’s device share is much larger if we look only at computers and mobile devices)."

The 25% figure is for traffic to and from Google themselves if I read it right. The majority of it supposedly is Youtube.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The article implies that Gene believes Apple mobile users are more engaged with their devices than Android users. I would put it just the other way.

While Android users are fiddling with and "engaging" with their devices, Apple users are freed to engage with the world, i.e. learning things and having a good time on the Internet.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I think what happens is that there aren't that many INDIVIDUAL Android users as there are iOS users, but the Android sales are more because the typical Android user is more likely going to just collect devices use them until something else comes out and they just put the old model in the drawer collecting dust or they sell it on the used market and it never gets used.

If there really are 3x the number of Android users to iOS users, then the numbers SHOULD be reversed, but they aren't.  I think my take on the market is just a lot more accurate.  I see and talk to a fair amount of Android users that have many phones in their collections, so they can't even use all of them......

Oh well.

• Reply 14 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

The article implies that Gene believes Apple mobile users are more engaged with their devices than Android users. I would put it just the other way.

While Android users are fiddling with and "engaging" with their devices, Apple users are freed to engage with the world, i.e. learning things and having a good time on the Internet.

Android users:

"look at this custom ROM, 

"Look at my franco kernel overclocking my CPU to 4Ghzzzzz,

"Look at this launcher, it makes everything look flat!,

apple users:

I enjoy using my device. I'm going to browse the web.

Lol Android users.

• Reply 15 of 28
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post

Android users:

"look at this custom ROM, 

"Look at my franco kernel overclocking my CPU to 4Ghzzzzz,

"Look at this launcher, it makes everything look flat!,

apple users:

I enjoy using my device. I'm going to browse the web.

Lol Android users.

Add to that.  Hey, 4.x.x just came out, I'm gonna get a new flagship phone to show off.  Then I'll root the phone to put something on it like Ubuntu,

Plus, I can customize my OS and have TOTAL CONTROL.

And look at all of the widgets!!!

Apple user:

But what apps are you using on your Android phone?

Android user:

Silence.

Microsoft users:

But, but, but Mine has a kickstand.  See.........  click.

• Reply 16 of 28

Exactly.I think the only portion of the Android users that are legitmate with actually using their device are the mainstream Samsung "Galaxy" users who bought them because of a commercial. Most everyone else is just buyinig them because they are geek devices or cheap.

• Reply 17 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Add to that.  Hey, 4.x.x just came out, I'm gonna get a new flagship phone to show off.  Then I'll root the phone to put something on it like Ubuntu,

Plus, I can customize my OS and have TOTAL CONTROL.

And look at all of the widgets!!!

Apple user:

But what apps are you using on your Android phone?

Android user:

Silence.

Microsoft users:

But, but, but Mine has a kickstand.  See.........  click.

See, I personally have apple devices and Android devices, so I am not one of the "Geek" Android users, and although I like android to an extent, iOS is by far the better operating system for users and developers.

• Reply 18 of 28
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Did you miss the estimates that Apple is down 5% YOY in Mac sales?  Did you miss the reports that Apple is likely to report both an earnings miss and their first YOY revenue decline in a decade?  Did you fail to notice that Apple share of the tablet and smartphone markets has consistently declined quarter over quarter for at least a year now?

The fact that Apple users browse the web more is great - it is a nice testimony that Apple has so far gotten the user experience and ecosystem nice and sticky.  But that's basically irrelevant to the factors that will contribute to long term success in the marketplace.  

While the 'Apple is doomed' crowd is obviously smoking dope, you can't look at these sorts of numbers and then declare happy hour.  Apple faces very profound competition and for them to retain their lead they have to continuously innovate and expand their shipments quarter over quarter.

Are they doing that?

Personally, I think the jury is still out on it.  One thing I am fairly certain of, however, is that these sorts of web metrics are fundamentally useless in terms of being predictors for Apple's market penetration and their overall numbers.

• Reply 19 of 28
    [QUOTE]Did you miss the estimates that Apple is down 5% YOY in Mac sales?[/QUOTE]

Did you miss the part where estimate ? fact?

[QUOTE]Did you miss the reports that Apple is likely to report both an earnings miss and their first YOY revenue decline in a decade?[/QUOTE]

Did you miss the part where likely ? did?

[QUOTE]Did you fail to notice that Apple share of the tablet and smartphone markets has consistently declined quarter over quarter for at least a year now?[/QUOTE]

Did you fail to notice that Apple created the tablet market so they had 100% of the market until the first company created their own iPad knockoff, has only ever sold more tablets YoY, and... know what? You're not worth it. If you're too blind to have seen all that, you're too blind to have formulated those thoughts in the first place.

[QUOTE]But that's basically irrelevant to the factors that will contribute to long term success in the marketplace.[/QUOTE]

YEAH, THAT INTERNET. IT'S JUST A FAD. PEOPLE WON'T BE USING IT AS MUCH IN THE FUTURE.

[QUOTE]Apple faces very profound competition...[/QUOTE]

Ooh! From whom? This is news to anyone who has ever seen a computer since 2010, at least! Pins and needles here.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you miss the part where estimate ? fact?

Did you miss the part where likely ? did?

Did you fail to notice that Apple created the tablet market so they had 100% of the market until the first company created their own iPad knockoff, has only ever sold more tablets YoY, and... know what? You're not worth it. If you're too blind to have seen all that, you're too blind to have formulated those thoughts in the first place.

YEAH, THAT INTERNET. IT'S JUST A FAD. PEOPLE WON'T BE USING IT AS MUCH IN THE FUTURE.

Ooh! From whom? This is news to anyone who has ever seen a computer since 2010, at least! Pins and needles here.

http://news.investors.com/technology/072213-664622-apple-q3-earnings-seen-falling-maybe-revenue-too.htm

Let's just see what tomorrow brings.

FYI, I edited out a substantial rant against you because I realized that you are, as you labeled me, 'not worth it'.  The only thing that matters is the company's performance, and that's something we'll be seeing play out in the coming quarters.