US Mac sales down 5% year over year in Apple's June quarter, NPD says

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The latest data from the NPD Group shows domestic Mac sales down 5 percent year over year in the June quarter, as iPad cannibalization of Apple's Mac platform continues.

MBA

The NPD data, summarized on Monday by analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, represents only a portion of Apple's global Mac sales. But the Mac is also becoming a less meaningful part of Apple's business, now representing just 15 percent of the company's revenues.

NPD found that Mac sales were down 12 percent year over year in the month of June, despite the launch of new MacBook Air models powered by Intel's Haswell CPUs.

Worldwide, Munster expects that Apple's Mac sales were likely down about the same 5 percent during the just-concluded June quarter. Apple is set to announce its earnings after markets close on Tuesday.

As for the iPod, NPD found that domestic sales were down 32 percent year over year. Munster expects that total iPod sales will be down 23 percent in the June quarter. The iPod is an even smaller slice of Apple's business, now representing just 2 percent of revenues.

Investors have come to largely ignore the Mac's performance when assessing Apple's health. Instead, all eyes will be on iPhone and iPad sales when Apple reports its June quarter earnings.

Market expectations for the quarter are generally moderate, though investors were given a reason to be potentially more optimistic last week, when Verizon reported its own quarterly earnings. America's largest carrier revealed that it activated3.8 million iPhones in the June quarter, accounting for 51 percent of its total smartphone activations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Neil, can you add the NDP sales growth/decline for the overall PC market to give us a gauge as to the overall health of the product sector?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    since these numbers are just guesses, how about you tell us how well prior quarters' guesses matched reality?
  • Reply 3 of 40
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Well, Apple like everyone else is going to announce new computers this year. They only have announced MBAir. So the only products released so far has been Logic and MB Airs.

I guess Apple is gearing up to have an onslaught of new computers, mobile devices this Fall/Winter. The Summer months are always slow for the computer industry, Nothing new.

The PC desktop/laptop market is sliding faster than Apple, but Apple hasn't really announced much this year so far.

• Reply 4 of 40
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Glad Apple is cannibalizing their own sales rather than a competitor.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    What Apple should do is get some new Motion Controls on their Macs and update their accesories with lithium batteries.

Not much is being developed on Macs asides the new Mac Pro and that monster will probably be so expensive that their work will account for less than 3% new mac sales in the fall and winter of 2013. I suspect new 2x resolution displays are on the way as they mentioned it can run up to 3 4k displays with thundebolt but asides that, Macs are doing bad in sales for being too expensive and carrying weak components.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    pooch wrote: »
    since these numbers are just guesses, how about you tell us how well prior quarters' guesses matched reality?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/20/domestic-mac-sales-flat-in-april-viewed-as-slight-positive-for-apple

"because the NPD group tracks domestic sales, and a greater percentage of Macs are being sold overseas, Munster noted that it's becoming increasingly difficult to draw conclusions from the NPD's monthly tracking data.

For example, in the month of March, NPD saw U.S. Mac sales down 8 percent, while Apple's official numbers revealed worldwide sales were up 7 percent for the month. The NPD data has been off by more than 10 percentage points from Apple's official worldwide numbers in three of the last five months."

These people are just making guidance numbers for the stocks. There's an earnings call tomorrow:

"Q3 FY13 Earning Release
    Apple plans to conduct a conference call to discuss financial results of its third fiscal quarter on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. PT / 5:00 p.m. ET."

That's when they show the real numbers. The MBPs are way overdue a refresh and it might be as late as September before they arrive so that could throw this quarter off vs last year. I really hope they can get the prices down to near the old MBP levels and they can come with dual TB2.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    The problem begins with Intel, IMHO: they're so worried on power efficiency that every new processor just adds about a 10% performance boost over the previous generation. While the (integrated) GPUs seem to be progressing, the new CPUs are a shame. How would you be interested on a new computer if it doesn't at least _double_ the performance of your older computer? (as it was usual in the past)

There's need for powerful computers. Emulators such as MAME or MESS need powerful new CPUs for emulating recent arcades or recent consoles. Last generation raytracers and unbiased renderers take a day to complete a render on current hardware. New videogames need GPUs that just cannot fit inside an iPad. So, new computers are needed. But new computers that double or triple previous performance, not the jokes that Intel is releasing.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Marvin wrote: »
    These people are just making guidance numbers for the stocks.

i would hardly minimize what they're doing by using the term "just" since they are so influential, and often wrong.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

I'm doing my part- got a 15" rMBP last year and will get a 13" rMBP this year if the refresh reviews better than the current model (Intel 5000 vs 4000).  And itching to get a new iMac, just waiting for Retina- which is inevitable.

• Reply 10 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Glad Apple is cannibalizing their own sales rather than a competitor.

Since it's the iPad that's cannibalizing Mac sales, there is no competitor.

• Reply 11 of 40
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

For example, in the month of March, NPD saw U.S. Mac sales down 8 percent, while Apple's official numbers revealed worldwide sales were up 7 percent for the month. The NPD data has been off by more than 10 percentage points from Apple's official worldwide numbers in three of the last five months.

This.

More consulting firm BS.

• Reply 12 of 40
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    Personally I'm waiting for the haswell MacBook Pro. When that gets announced my money is ready to go...
  • Reply 13 of 40
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    pooch wrote: »

Exactly the right question. No one ever seems to hold any of these people accountable for their estimates.

Back in the 90s, the Software Publishers Association was especially 'good' at this. Every quarter, they presented preliminary results showing that Apple's software was declining. This announcement got massive press in all the major trade magazines. Later, they issued revised figures which showed that Apple's software actually grew, not declined. Of course, their revisions got almost no press.

Then, the next quarter, they used the upward revised actuals as their starting point and their projections (which were consistently too low) to 'prove' the same thing.
    http://web.archive.org/web/19990427063057/http://www.dol.net/~Ragosta/spa.htm
  • Reply 14 of 40
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

The problem begins with Intel, IMHO: they're so worried on power efficiency that every new processor just adds about a 10% performance boost over the previous generation. While the (integrated) GPUs seem to be progressing, the new CPUs are a shame. How would you be interested on a new computer if it doesn't at least _double_ the performance of your older computer? (as it was usual in the past)

There's need for powerful computers. Emulators such as MAME or MESS need powerful new CPUs for emulating recent arcades or recent consoles. Last generation raytracers and unbiased renderers take a day to complete a render on current hardware. New videogames need GPUs that just cannot fit inside an iPad. So, new computers are needed. But new computers that double or triple previous performance, not the jokes that Intel is releasing.

This is rubbish.

Haswell can be used either to boost performance, or boost power efficiency. In laptops, the priority should be on battery life, especially with the Airs. 

You really think the majority of users are using emulators?

If you need power, use a Mac Pro. Or a MacBook Pro (which is ridiculously fast).

Also, Apple recognizes that CPUs are hitting a wall, which is why they're emphasizing leveraging the GPU so much.

• Reply 15 of 40
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

I find this to be a horrible comment.

First off, processors today are not like yesterday. A 2 fold increase in a single core 500Mhz processor is less than a 10% bump in a quad core processor clocked at 3.6ghz.

Second, the market is all about portability now. Smartphones and tablets are killing PCs for those who never really needed one in the first place. Getting better battery life is very important.

Third, not everyone needs 2x more power. The high end professionals do; however, they will simply have to deal with Intel's approach to the market. I think it is the best approach. I like Intel processors, I am willing to pay the premium for their processor over AMD's. It seems like all the AMD PC's I have used have been pathetic. My quad-core 15'' retina runs amazing, true some of that is the SSD, but when doing simulations, the processor power shows.

Next, the gaming market is a relatively small market and shrinking due to tablets (except diehards). I walk around BestBuy from time to time to learn the maket (people ask me to recommend products for them). It is hard to find a laptop with a stand alone GPU. People just don't need this crap. It is unlikely I will ever buy a laptop without a stand alone GPU (unless Intel actually manages to pass up Nvidia (doubt it)), but I am far from the average user.

But a 10% bump is what you can expect going into the future, processors just really aren't a big bottleneck at the moment and it will be harder to double the performance of a quad-core at 3.6ghz every year. Especially with the death of the desktop in consumer homes. People want 10 hour battery life. Consumers just use web browsers and other low processor demanding programs.

Intel wants to make a CPU and GPU that can power a laptop very well and help people decide they would rather that over a tablet. Not too many people need that GPU from AMD or Nvidia. They watch movies and play simple games. Look at all the low-end junk computers that run for 400 bucks selling at BB.

Just remember, a 30-50% savings in power, and a 10% bump in speed is what the general market wanted.

Get used to it.

• Reply 16 of 40
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

This is rubbish.

Haswell can be used either to boost performance, or boost power efficiency. In laptops, the priority should be on battery life, especially with the Airs. 

You really think the majority of users are using emulators?

If you need power, use a Mac Pro. Or a MacBook Pro (which is ridiculously fast).

Also, Apple recognizes that CPUs are hitting a wall, which is why they're emphasizing leveraging the GPU so much.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that post was stupid.

• Reply 17 of 40

Here we go. These are the latest growth rates in the PC market:

Mac-Harry.de

• Reply 18 of 40
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Apple should become more aggressive with their Macs. More new products, shorter periods of updates, more features - start making it a main agenda like IOS. 

Add fingerprint reader, rapidly expand iCloud - why can´t *all* my Mac settings be stored in iCloud? Why can´t I just swipe my finger on a brand new RETINA Macbook Air, and iCloud can automatically download and configure everything in OSX?

More focus on Product Mr. Cook. Bring the passion back, get Apple aggressive again. Invent, push and improve our lives.

• Reply 19 of 40
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    seankill wrote: »
    Third, not everyone needs 2x more power. The high end professionals do;
    So, people playing next gen videogames, amateur artists, individual developers, etc, are "high end professionals". Anybody who needs more than a web browser with facebook is a "high end professional". It's obvious nobody here is a computer user, but a social network user. And yes, current Intel offerings are more than enough for you, so I'm glad you're happy with Intel not increasing CPU performance. However, just consider what I was saying: the Mac is for people who needs more power than the iPad can deliver. If the Mac doesn't get substantial 2x performance increases because of Intel failing to do so, then there's no wonder desktops become less interesting (why buy a new desktop -or a new laptop- if your old one has just slightly lower performance?)
  • Reply 20 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hydr wrote: »
    More new products, shorter periods of updates...

Why should they devalue their products?
    Add fingerprint reader...

Ah, add useless nonsense. I get it now.
    More focus on Product Mr. Cook. Bring the passion back, get Apple aggressive again. Invent, push and improve our lives.

That only works if they're not doing it now. They are.