Ubuntu Edge - first smartphone with sapphire for the screen instead of glass, dual LTE, metal unibod

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/ubuntu-edge-smartphone/\\\\\\

I don't have a whole lot of faith that ubuntu phones will catch on, but it does look like a sweet piece of kit

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    tipoo wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/ubuntu-edge-smartphone/\\\\\\

I don't have a whole lot of faith that ubuntu phones will catch on, but it does look like a sweet piece of kit

I like the idea of a converging phone and desktop. Phones are getting to 2GB+ RAM and enough fast storage that they can run desktop software.

When I saw the $32m crowd-sourced target, my initial thought was that it wouldn't get there but this project already has $1.3m, presumably after just under 1 day so it's not totally unrealistic. They pretty much have to get this amount every day though and these crowd-sourced things tend to die off. If it doesn't make $32m, they'll get nothing.

I think they have overestimated how much people care about phones. People talk about phones a lot but they are throw-away items. While the idea of docking a phone to a display is nice, there's not enough IO ports on a phone.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Thread title note:   Vertu luxury phones already have had sapphire touch screens.

Of course, they cost a bit more image

• Reply 3 of 4

They're at 3.1 million now and have sold out of the initial 5000 ($600) devices.

I know the device is only going to come out May 2014, but these specifications are outstanding. Not to mention the Android + Ubuntu has a very large appeal.

If I wasn't planning on purchasing a new phone in the next few months I would have spent the $600 for the 24 hour special sale.

Hopefully they succeed in their funding as this will only help accelerate innovation in the mobile industry. They said if all goes well, they'll do this again next year. I might be more inclined to pre-purchase a device at that time.

• Reply 4 of 4
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Thread title note:   Vertu luxury phones already have had sapphire touch screens.

Of course, they cost a bit more image

Smartphones, or those stupid dumphones by designers that sell for thousands? In any case, the current bestsellers don't have them yet, ie GS4, iPhone 5, One etc.