Delays reportedly push 'iPhone 5S' launch to late Sept.; 'iPhone Lite,' 'iPad 5' & Haswell Macs expe

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's next-generation iPhone is believed to be facing production difficulties, much like the iPhone 5 in 2012, one analyst believes, while the rumored "iPhone Lite," revamped "iPad 5," and Haswell Retina MacBook Pros and iMacs could see release in the interim.

2013 Shipments
Source: KGI Securities

According to a research note obtained by AppleInsider, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple's so-called "iPhone 5S" is seeing setbacks in the production of "numerous components," as well as handset assembly, meaning the next-gen smartphone will be available in limited amounts following a late September launch.

"While shipments forecasts may still grow sharply in 4Q13, we are concerned iPhone 5S may face the same problem as its predecessor, namely that by the time supply matures, demand will already have waned, hurting shipments," Kuo writes.

The analyst also sees shipments of the much-rumored low-cost iPhone being below expectations, though the device will be available sooner than the iPhone 5S due to a less complicated manufacturing process. Kuo sees the model being priced at $450 to $550, with shipments capped at 26 million units for 2013. Market consensus had shipments at 30 to 40 million units.

As for Apple's tablet plans, Kuo notes a redesigned 9.7-inch version will be the "highlight of iPad in 2013," as no new iPad mini model is set for release this year. The analyst says Apple is unlikely to debut an anticipated Retina display version of the 7.9-inch tablet with A7 SoC this year. Due to higher energy demands attached to the Retina panel, as well as the components required to improve power efficiency in such a small form factor, Apple will likely shoot for a launch in March or April 2014.

Interestingly, Kuo points to a possible cheaper iPad mini running a legacy A5 processor. That device could still see release by the end of 2013, December at the earliest, but given the model is unlikely to see a substantial price cut compared to the current iPad mini, Apple will most likely debut the tablet next year.

Finally, the Mac lineup will see continued upgrades to Intel's Haswell silicon in the coming months. Apple's Retina display MacBook Pro is looking at a mid-September refresh, while the iMac will get the chips in late August.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [QUOTE]production delays[/QUOTE]

That's code for "ignore the article and discredit the person who came up with it".
  • Reply 2 of 54
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    The analyst is smoking something and just babbling! He knows nada!
  • Reply 3 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

production delays

That's code for "ignore the article and discredit the person who came up with it".

Isn't Ming-Chi Kuo usually pretty reliable?

• Reply 4 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Please, AI management, enough of this crap already. Take 5. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. We don't need this analyst rumor mill constantly. It's all about manipulating the stock price. We know that. It serves no useful purpose. It encourages the trolls, gives comfort to the haters, and gets on the agenda of the next anti-Apple talking points conference.

• Reply 5 of 54
    mstone wrote: »
    Isn't <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Ming-Chi Kuo usually pretty reliable?</span>

I thought so, but hey. Production delays is the new DigiTimes.

And who the heck thought "early September" in the first place?! The last one came out in October. Therefore October for the new one. My stars. :no:
  • Reply 6 of 54
    bizzarebizzare Posts: 62member
    Who writes this speculative crap!!
  • Reply 7 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I'm really sick of analysts and their predictions.  The only one that knows what is coming is Apple.  Everything else is guessing.

• Reply 8 of 54

Looks like I have to keep waiting for that shiny new 13" rMBP. Hopefully it's coming with TB2 if it's being "delayed" until mid September.

No predictions for the Mac Mini? :)

• Reply 9 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Isn't Ming-Chi Kuo usually pretty reliable?

Reliable on the obvious or non obvious stuff?

• Reply 10 of 54
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Please, AI management, enough of this crap already. Take 5. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. We don't need this analyst rumor mill constantly. It's all about manipulating the stock price. We know that. It serves no useful purpose. It encourages the trolls, gives comfort to the haters, and gets on the agenda of the next anti-Apple talking points conference.

I have to agree with much of this comment from lkrupp.  Whether or not comments on AI have anything to do with stock manipulation, the level of the intellectual tone of the site has IMO degraded over the past few years. Can we have real news (based on fact rather than speculation) and real comments (rather than sad wanking)?

• Reply 11 of 54
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    The only problem is Apple's recent history is replete with production delays and issues.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Reliable on the obvious or non obvious stuff?

Non-obvious stuff.  Like it or not, Kuo has been the only reliable predictor of Apple products and timelines.  He's been head and shoulders above the other guys who seem to just be guessing.

Having said that, product timelines can be very fluid, and that is a lot of new/refreshed products in a 30 day time period.  I wish Apple would do a better job of spacing out their product introductions.  Apple has a lot of very loyal customers but even most of them have a finite amount of money they can or are willing to spend on consumer electronics/computer equipment at one time.

• Reply 13 of 54
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Go home analysts, you're drunk.

• Reply 14 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

Apple has a lot of very loyal customers but even most of them have a finite amount of money they can or are willing to spend on consumer electronics/computer equipment at one time.

You have no one to blame but yourself if you go broke buying Apple products. There is no reason to buy every new release of every product every year. Get a notebook one year and an iPad the next, an iPhone every two years. Most Apple hardware lasts five years before it becomes obsolete and often it is just because the OS can't be upgraded anymore even though the hardware is still running fine.

• Reply 15 of 54
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member
    This is just an analcyst saying "I'm going to predict a new iPhone every Friedman Unit until one comes out, Apple is Doomed".
  • Reply 16 of 54
    This analyst has incredibly reliable sources. He was accurate about every product release last year, including their specifications and ship dates. He also stated the iWatch would come next year even before the report from the usually impeccably sourced Bloomberg that stated it would come out this year.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    I also would add that I'm shocked about that price for the lower cost iphone if its true.
  • Reply 18 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You have no one to blame but yourself if you go broke buying Apple products. There is no reason to buy every new release of every product every year. Get a notebook one year and an iPad the next, an iPhone every two years. Most Apple hardware lasts five years before it becomes obsolete and often it is just because the OS can't be upgraded anymore even though the hardware is still running fine.

Thanks for the condescending advice, but you completely missed the point.  I am not going broke buying Apple products.  I own Apple stock and am looking at it from a shareholder's perspective that they could sell more products to their loyal consumer base if they spread out their product launches.

• Reply 19 of 54
    I also would add that I'm shocked about that price for the lower cost iPhone if its true.

Once again, Apple proving that the prices idiots pick for their products are wrong, both in theory and in practice.
  • Reply 20 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

This analyst has incredibly reliable sources. He was accurate about every product release last year, including their specifications and ship dates. He also stated the iWatch would come next year even before the report from the usually impeccably sourced Bloomberg that stated it would come out this year.

100% correct.  He's been incredibly accurate.