17" iMac possibility

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

According to this article, prices of 15" screens are set to rise, but 17" screens should still fall in price. If that's the case, wouldn't it make sense for Apple to offer a 17" model to alleviate some of the demand on the lower margin 15" screens?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>

According to this article, prices of 15" screens are set to rise, but 17" screens should still fall in price. If that's the case, wouldn't it make sense for Apple to offer a 17" model to alleviate some of the demand on the lower margin 15" screens?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 17" would still cost more than the 15" (it's not as if you're going to get a larger screen for less, sorry), and the iMac is priced about as high as it can get. It's not just about profit margins, it's about competitive prices the consumer will pay - the reason Apple is taking a margin hit to put the iMac at the incredible price point it's at in the first place. There's no reason to even start speculating on a 17" iMac until the 15-incher can get under $1000. 'Nuff said.

S
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    I would bet my pen that Apple has it's supply in good order. I for one would buy a 17" iMac but I would also buy a SXGA+ 15" iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'd like a 17" LCD iMac. I wonder if it would throw off the balance both visually and structurally.

I wouldn't be the least surprised if some hack (maybe those in Japan who spray painted their iBooks), retrofitted the current 15" LCD with some third party 17" LCD.

I'd never try it but there are some pretty daring individuals with too much time and money.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    A 17" iMac would be nice but it's not happening any time soon, regardless of prices.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>A 17" iMac would be nice but it's not happening any time soon, regardless of prices.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's probably what people said about a 14" iBook...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    put me on record here:

17 inch iMac will debut at MWNY 2002 with a likely price of 1999
  • Reply 7 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>

That's probably what people said about a 14" iBook...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the 14" iBook was a widely-predicted rumor for last year's MWNY.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>

Actually, the 14" iBook was a widely-predicted rumor for last year's MWNY.</strong><hr></blockquote>

it was? I certainly don't remember it being a "widely-predicted" rumor.

Perhaps you are thinking of OGrady and is fixation on the "Son of Pismo"
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Apple bought a huge ammount from their dealer and I am sure they agreed on a locked in price fro the first rev. iMac at least. The iMac price wont rise but more likely fall.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Just as Boeing designs their jets with wings that can accommodate future fuselage extensions, I'm sure Apple will eventually have a bigger lcd display for the new iMac. There was even mention in Steve's keynote or the iMac promo video that this is the basic iMac design we will see for the next 10 years. I think full heartedly, Apple designed it to be modified into many different derivatives, with essentially the same footprint, as the technology changes and can be applied to the iMac.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

it was? I certainly don't remember it being a "widely-predicted" rumor.

Perhaps you are thinking of OGrady and is fixation on the "Son of Pismo"</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well the "Son of Pismo" could have easily been a 14" iBook.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I think we'll see a 17" LCD iMac at MWNY.

All Apple needs to do is drop the superdrive, add a 17" LCD, and sell it for around $1800. I suppose they might want the high end to have both the 17" and the Superdrive, in which case the price might go up to 1900, but I suspect that Apple wants to keep the iMac below the $2000 mark, and that includes 1999.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I think we'll see a 17" LCD iMac at MWNY.

All Apple needs to do is drop the superdrive, add a 17" LCD, and sell it for around $1800. I suppose they might want the high end to have both the 17" and the Superdrive, in which case the price might go up to 1900, but I suspect that Apple wants to keep the iMac below the $2000 mark, and that includes 1999.