Haswell-powered iMacs could hit in late Aug., followed by new MacBook Pros in mid-Sept.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel's latest-generation Haswell chips are expected to come to Apple's iMac desktop as soon as next month, though Retina display MacBook Pros will have to wait a little longer for an update.

MBP

Haswell-powered iMacs will be available for launch by late August, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI securities revealed this week. Following close behind will be a refresh to the company's Retina MacBook Pro lineup, which Kuo said will be in a position to launch in mid-September.

He doesn't expect the new products to play a significant role in Apple's third quarter of calendar 2013, as the September quarter will conclude soon after both devices launch.

Apple already updated its MacBook Air lineup with Haswell chips in June, boasting 9 hours of battery life with the 11-inch model and 12 hours with the 13-inch size. The all-day battery life was made possible by the low power consumption of Intel's latest-generation processors.

iMac

While battery life isn't a concern for Apple's all-in-one iMac desktops, Haswell's power savings will likely be a key feature for the new MacBook Pros. Leaked benchmarks for both the 13-inch and 15-inch models have shown modest performance gains, again suggesting that the key feature of this year's update will be battery life.

Kuo was first to reveal in April that Apple would only update its MacBook Air lineup with Haswell chips at the annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. At the time, many observers expected the MacBook Pro would also see a similar update, but Kuo said continued yield problems with the high-resolution Retina display would delay their launch until later this year.

As for the new iMac, Kuo originally heard the desktops could debut as early as June, but it's possible Apple opted to wait to avoid the kind of severe constraints the redesigned machines faced at the end of 2012 and through early 2013. Months before the redesigned iMac debuted last year, Kuo was the exclusively reported that Apple would face major production issues associated with the display panel being laminated to the cover glass.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 140
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Good god, AI, Kuo doesn't deserve to take up you're whole f'ng front page. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 2 of 140
    Solid products. Nothing market changing (other than possibly the previously rumoured large screen iPad). I'm scraping together money for the base model 15" Retina.
  • Reply 3 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Good god, AI, Kuo doesn't deserve to take up you're whole f'ng front page. image

Dude....If I want hyper-critical comments, I'd talk to my GF.

I come to AI for a little respite!

Relax, bro! :)

• Reply 4 of 140
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Haswell will be a pretty minor bump on the iMac due to not needing power savings.  I'm curious if Apple will either drop the price $100 or so, maybe drop prices on customizations, make Fusion standard, or something else in addition to the small processor bump.  Oh 2014... please be the year of the retina.

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

You don't know hyper-critical until you make your GF your wife.  image

• Reply 5 of 140
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Good god, AI, Kuo doesn't deserve to take up you're whole f'ng front page. image

I wonder what's is info on the AppleTV / Apple gaming console?  there could be even more news coming from him :p

• Reply 6 of 140
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I wonder what's is info on the AppleTV / Apple gaming console?  there could be even more news coming from him :p

Didn't you hear- it got updated at the end of the 1st quarter... his prediction chart says so.  :)

• Reply 7 of 140
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    I would expect that in addition to Haswell, the new MacBook Pro's will have faster WiFi and PCIe SSD. It will be interesting to see if Apple offers a discrete GPU, on the 15" model or goes with Haswell's integrated graphics like the current (and likely future) 13" model...
  • Reply 8 of 140
    So will the iMac get a longer battery life too now? /s
  • Reply 9 of 140
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Apple's fusion drive is a very expensive customization option in the country I live. I really hope if nothing else that they finally make it standard with the forthcoming Haswell iMac upgrades - but they probably won't.

• Reply 10 of 140
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

I would expect that in addition to Haswell, the new MacBook Pro's will have faster WiFi and PCIe SSD. It will be interesting to see if Apple offers a discrete GPU, on the 15" model or goes with Haswell's integrated graphics like the current (and likely future) 13" model...

Of course they will still have a discrete GPU.

• Reply 11 of 140
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    andysol wrote: »
    Haswell will be a pretty minor bump on the iMac due to not needing power savings.

Except that there will be a big gain in graphics performance, as well. Not to mention any other features that could easily be added (faster SSD, improved WiFi, greater RAM capacity, etc).

Unless you know exactly what they will be releasing, there's no point in guessing.
  • Reply 12 of 140

Ugh. I was hoping for a mid-summer rMBP release. Promised my wife my old MBP.

She's not going to be happy.

• Reply 13 of 140
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I come to AI for a little respite!

Relax, bro! :)

Apparently you don't come here that often....  image

(Yeah, I see your post count - just couldn't resist.)

• Reply 14 of 140
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    The unfortunate part of the timing here is that they will not, in all likelihood, have the new Thunderbolt 20Gbps part. Personally, while it wouldn't be great for Apple's bottom line, I think they should hold off any new Thunderbolt equipped machines until they can be rolled out with the new chip.

I think doing that would go a long way with helping Thunderbolt adoption and getting peripherals made.

Of course, they won't do that. And they also won't do a mid-cycle refresh next spring to any models with Thunderbolt to upgrade to the new chip.

-kpluck
  • Reply 15 of 140
    gordiogordio Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Except that there will be a big gain in graphics performance, as well. Not to mention any other features that could easily be added (faster SSD, improved WiFi, greater RAM capacity, etc).

Unless you know exactly what they will be releasing, there's no point in guessing.

I don't know how it can improve graphics performance.  iMacs, unlike a MacBook air, have dedicated GPU cards.

• Reply 16 of 140
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Finally! Some Mac news instead of the usual i stuff (with the exception of the iMac).
  • Reply 17 of 140
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

I'm hoping the "Retina" iMac is going to have the same setup as the rumored 4K Thunderbolt Display.  If that happens, along with a good GPU, PCIe SSD, 2nd-gen Thunderbolt, etc.. sign me up.  I'm still loving my late 2009-iMac but since getting my 2011 MBA, I'm ready to upgrade my desktop to SSD speeds along with all the modern goodies.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Reply 18 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Haswell will be a pretty minor bump on the iMac due to not needing power savings.  I'm curious if Apple will either drop the price $100 or so, maybe drop prices on customizations, make Fusion standard, or something else in addition to the small processor bump.  Oh 2014... please be the year of the retina.

You don't know hyper-critical until you make your GF your wife.  image

Now that's funny! :)

• Reply 19 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Apparently you don't come here that often....  image

(Yeah, I see your post count - just couldn't resist.)

A lot of "complainers!" :)

Oops! I guess, I'm complaining about the complainers...Oh well! :)

• Reply 20 of 140
    "It will be interesting to see if Apple offers a discrete GPU, on the 15" model or goes with Haswell's integrated graphics like the current (and likely future) 13" model..."

That's a great question. Most discrete graphic chips Apple has used in the past were limited by a 128-bit memory interface. Unless Apple is willing to use "best in class" mobile graphics solution with a 256-bit memory interface, which would likely crush battery life, it's possible that ALL of the new MacBook Pros will sold without discrete graphics.

That's may sound like a huge problem for Apple, but PC makers will likely reach the same conclusion. Discrete graphics cost too much, and adds too little. Intel could dominate PC graphic shipments for the foreseeable future.