'iPhone Lite' on track for early Sept., but 'iPhone 5S' production more challenging

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

i have no idea, but that guy is one of the most reliable out there. He must have inside information from somewhere.

Can I see your side-by-side comparison that led you to this conclusion? Or did you read somewhere that he is one of the most reliable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I suggest you review his history. He has been very accurate in the past, he called every single product and launch timeframe last year. He is the only analyst I find worth reading

I suggest you review his history, and compare it against others before making your final conclusion.

It's interesting how a legend develops. We read someone that someone has a reliable track record. Without checking, we propagate this reputation and suddenly Mr. Kuo is the second coming of Nate Silver.

Kuo seems to have a better track record than most. That seems to be what everyone says. But check it carefully and you will find:

- He repeats (quotes?) Digi-Times rumors. Can we castigate one for being completely unreliable and laud the other for being Kreskin-like when they share some of the same predictions?

- He changes his story.

- Pundits remember when he is right but forgets/forgives his misses. For example, didn't he predict that the entire Macbook lineup would go Haswell and Retina Display by June? Hasn't happened yet.

- He first predicted a RD version of iPad Mini by fall but is now calling for it to come up in 2014. As long as he keeps "refining" his predictions, he will be remembered for being right rather than wrong.

Mr. Kuo does seem to have insider info. So do others. But he plays this game more adroitly than others too. All to say, it is only a rumor that his rumors are more "reliable".

• Reply 22 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Which can backfire

You're being inflammatory.

• Reply 23 of 89
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    This doesn't sound too good. The 5S is barely any different than the 5. Maybe they should just skip and go to the 6 if there is going to be a delay.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Unless the iPhone is actually going to be a new design I don't see why the usual chuck in a new CPU, GPU & camera optics & call it new & wonderful device method would cause any major issues.

One of the main issues with the iPhone 5 was the paint which they nailed down months ago.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    So it looks like Apple is just going to replace the price point of the iPhone 4S with a much more desirable phone. Makes sense, but 550 is still steep. Why can they build an ipad for 329 but not a 4" phone? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Apple knows about their business better than I do ;)
  • Reply 26 of 89
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    You're being inflammatory.

What a sh***y thing to say.
  • Reply 27 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I suggest you review his history. He has been very accurate in the past, he called every single product and launch timeframe last year. 

Really?

Care to point us to cites that show he called "...every single product and launch timeline last year"?

• Reply 28 of 89
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So? He throws stuff at the wall and some of it sticks. A lot of what he guessed last year were no brainers anyway.

Exactly.

Outside of the iPod Touch 5 modification- which was impressive- where is the Apple TV and iPod Nano?  The MacBook Air was late.  And what a stretch to say the iPad, iPhone, iMac, and Mac Mini will be refreshed in a year's time.  Not to mention, it's almost August now- where are our rMBP updates from June?

• Reply 29 of 89
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I think $450 could work and perhaps the $550 price is just the one with larger storage.  All new iPhone base models start at about $650 so this would be $200 cheaper. This could allow carriers to offer it for free or possibly $100 with a subsidy. A brand new Apple iPhone for $450 is still close enough to mid-tier levels that it could sell very well. 

It makes sense that they want to ditch the 3.5" and 30 pin and go exclusively with 4" and lightning. I see the internals having the same as the iPhone 5 and not the 4S. This would ensure that more people that want that premium iPhone experience have to get the latest model and avoid what happened this year where the 4 & 4S sold about as well as the 5. The iPhone might still take close to 50% of sales but I am betting the margins will be better and there will be a clearer delineation. 

The delays are troubling and I hope that is incorrect or at least it doesn't get moved too far into the year. A fingerprint scanner would be nice but I am not sure people would really consider that a "Wow" gotta have type feature. I expect a similar reaction to Siri as cool but a novelty. But if they also throw in a much faster CPU/GPU  than the S4, an IGZO display, and double the storage to 32/64/128 along with a much improved camera with dual LED flash and possibly even a new design with a slimmer bezel then there could be some real excitement.

The real mystery to me is whether they will use that new Qualcomm front end solution or not that allows a phone to operate on every band in the world. That would allow Apple to just produce one SKU instead of the 3 they make now. It would also immediately open Apple up to selling it on around 150 carriers where they currently can't be used. Even people on China Mobile or Docomo would be able to use it unlocked which would allow those carriers to save face by saying they didn't bow to Apple's demands but still offer access to their towers for customers that buy it themselves. 

• Reply 30 of 89

Quote:

What a sh***y thing to say.

Now that smells like going full circle back to crap. 

• Reply 31 of 89
    Really?

Care to point us to cites that show he called "...every single product and launch timeline last year"?

Pull up the past articles. In particular, look at his predictions from January 2012 and his timeline. Not being snarky but I'm not going to read for you.

I didn't say he's the next Jesus. I said he's more accurate than most and I trust his predictions for the most part.

That ok or am I not allowed to post my opinion?
  • Reply 32 of 89

You're right, sorry. I'm a little behind.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Kuo seems to have a better track record than most. That seems to be what everyone says. But check it carefully and you will find:

- He repeats (quotes?) Digi-Times rumors. Can we castigate one for being completely unreliable and laud the other for being Kreskin-like when they share some of the same predictions?
    - He changes his story.
    - Pundits remember when he is right but forgets/forgives his misses. For example, didn't he predict that the entire Macbook lineup would go Haswell and Retina Display by June? Hasn't happened yet.
    - He first predicted a RD version of iPad Mini by fall but is now calling for it to come up in 2014. As long as he keeps "refining" his predictions, he will be remembered for being right rather than wrong.

Exactly. NONE of these 'experts' have a very good track record. Someone really needs to track the predictions and produce a score card. Then, when anyone quotes an 'expert', they should report the accuracy rating. I doubt if ANYONE would have very good ratings, except possibly Mossberg, but he doesn't make 'predictions' more than a couple of months out and seems to be mostly a way for Apple to leak things to the press.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

I can see where searching for intelligence throughout the supply chain can help an analyst paint some picture of what a new product will look like and when it may appear.  OTOH, those same sources wouldn't know anything about what a product's price point will be so we should take those pieces of information separately when trying to evaluate if there's anything behind them.

• Reply 35 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

As the sh**t hits the fan.

• Reply 36 of 89

Quote:

You're right, sorry. I'm a little behind.

I'm tempted to say that stinks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post

As the sh**t hits the fan.

Round and round it goes.

• Reply 37 of 89
    jragosta wrote: »
    Exactly. NONE of these 'experts' have a very good track record. Someone really needs to track the predictions and produce a score card. Then, when anyone quotes an 'expert', they should report the accuracy rating. I doubt if ANYONE would have very good ratings, except possibly Mossberg, but he doesn't make 'predictions' more than a couple of months out and seems to be mostly a way for Apple to leak things to the press.

AI could produce a score card, but frankly they won't. Facts aren't necessary to drive forum traffic.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future. - Yogi Berra

• Reply 39 of 89
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Most people (at least in the U.S.) buy the phone with a plan and pay a far lower price anyway.  In most markets, you can get the iPhone5 for $200 and the iPhone 4s for either free or $99.   If this new "low-cost" iPhone is the same price, then what's the point?  The only benefit I see is that they can discontinue the iPhone 4s.

• Reply 40 of 89
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Most people (at least in the U.S.) buy the phone with a plan and pay a far lower price anyway.  In most markets, you can get the iPhone5 for $200 and the iPhone 4s for either free or $99.   If this new "low-cost" iPhone is the same price, then what's the point?  The only benefit I see is that they can discontinue the iPhone 4s.

The point is that they can standardize on both 4" and lightning. The other point is that you will then have a clear demarcation in the iPhone product line with a premium and standard model. Selling older models was only a temporary solution and was never meant to be permanent. Assuming they use the Qualcomm front end that can operate on every single band and carrier in the world that also means far fewer SKU's. Instead of needing to make 4 version of the iPhone 4S and another 4 versions of the iPhone 5, they can simply make one iPhone lite model and sell it to every single country in he world which will be a huge cost savings.