Apple's iPad holds on to massive tablet usage lead, now at 84%

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Increased competition in the tablet segment apparently hasn't stopped Apple's iPad from continuing to dominate, as a new study finds that the iPad accounts for nearly seven out of eight tablets active on the Internet in North America.

The new study comes from advertising and Web analytics firm Chitika, and it found that North American web usage among tablet devices in the month of June was overwhelmingly skewed in favor of Apple's tablet. The iPad held an 84.3 percent share according to Chitika's measure, up nearly two percent from May and up nearly three percent from its position in April.

Apple's gain came at the expense of virtually all other players in the tablet segment. Amazon's Kindle Fire devices dropped from 7.4 percent in April to just 5.7 percent in June, while Samsung's Galaxy line of tablets fell from 4.7 percent to 4.2 percent over the same period. Only Barnes & Noble's now defunct Nook tablets and Microsoft's Surface tablets gained any actual share of web traffic in June.

While it didn't invent the segment, Apple largely revolutionized the tablet market by bringing its touch-friendly iOS platform to a larger screen. The Cupertino company has continually tried to press its advantage in the segment, with CEO Tim Cook arguing that the tablet market is "the mother of all markets."

Other manufacturers have flooded the market with competing devices, and industry analysis firm IDC predicts that Android tablets will overtake the iPad this year in terms of units shipped. More recently, an analysis from Strategy Analytics had tablets running Microsoft's Windows 8 platform taking 7 percent of shipments in the first quarter of this year.

Chitika's figures, though, measure web use market share according to the Chitika Ad Network, which draws data from tens of millions of U.S. and Canadian online ad impressions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

as a new study finds that the iPad accounts for nearly seven out of eight tablets active on the in North America.

On the what in North America? On the Internet?

• Reply 2 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    This is obviously a lie. No, there doesn't have to be any explanation for why it is, it just is. Apple can't be doing that well. Obviously they must bow to the demands of idiots who don't know what they actually want, claiming all manner of new products must be released or features must be added.

That about cover it? :p
  • Reply 3 of 34
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

But, but Mac sales are possibly down!

Apple is doomed!

• Reply 4 of 34
    pendergast wrote: »

Apple is possibly doomed!

Possibly fixed that for you.
  • Reply 5 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is obviously a lie. No, there doesn't have to be any explanation for why it is, it just is. Apple can't be doing that well. Obviously they must bow to the demands of idiots who don't know what they actually want, claiming all manner of new products must be released or features must be added.

That about cover it? image

You forgot "Because Android."

• Reply 6 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "Amazon’s Kindle Fire and Samsung’s Galaxy Tablet families remain in second and third place, respectively."

The Kindle beat the entire Scamsung family of tablets? :D
  • Reply 7 of 34

It's an interesting disparity between web usage measured by ad impressions, and device shipments.  Unless the others are shipping their devices to the landfill, I'd have expected the iPad to have a smaller total share.  What does it mean?  Are iPad users surfing the web, while other tablet users are just reading books or something?

Quote:

Other manufacturers have flooded the market with competing devices, and industry analysis firm IDC predicts that Android tablets will overtake the iPad this year in terms of units shipped. 

Perhaps "flooded the market" is hyperbole.  If the units don't sell, or aren't used, can they still be said to "flood" the market?  Surely a mere 16% market share does not constitute a "flood".

• Reply 8 of 34

Quote:

No. You forgot the biggest one of all. Android users change their user agent to desktop so analytics sytems get fooled thinking it's a desktop and not a tablet.

Nevermind that the chart clearly identifies usage by device make/model and not by browser.

• Reply 9 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Another report out today shows Android and iOS smartphones in a virtual dead-heat in ad impressions and not all that far apart in terms of ad revenue.

"...However, when comparing mobile phones using iOS and Android the two OS are in a virtual tie for share of ad impressions, with just over 30% each. Late last year, Android inched ahead of iPhone with a slight lead (31% vs. 29%), but iPhone has been inching back and, within one percentage point ever since.
    The iPhone still triumphs in terms of monetization, however, with 36.4% of revenue vs. Android’s 27.8%. And while in Q1 Android tablets began appearing in our data set, their market share is still almost imperceptible."

[B]Just as with the Chitika report the data from Opera Media shows the iOS advantage to be in in tablets where Apple's iPad has no real challenger.[/B] iOS is the clear leader when both tablets and smartphones are considered.

http://www.operamediaworks.com/sma_q2_2013.html
  • Reply 10 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Yay, AAPL down $5 already!

• Reply 11 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Go read this same article and comments on C|net. Tallest Skil is right on the money. There are excuses and explanations galore as to why this report is bogus. One even claims that most Android tablets, by default, present themselves as iPads on the web. It's absolutely hilarious what haters and Android sycophants are posting about this.

The most hilarious thing, though, is the constant chanting about how Apple fans drink the Kool-aid and live in a RDF. The response to these kinds of reports by the Android crowd borders on dementia. They literally invent alternate scenarios in order to maintain their fantasies.

• Reply 12 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    No. You forgot the biggest one of all. Android users change their user agent to desktop so analytics sytems get fooled thinking it's a desktop and not a tablet.
    Nevermind that the chart clearly identifies usage by device make/model and not by browser.

And people can of course do the same thing on the iPad too. There are many third party browsers that allow that user to change the user agent to identify as a desktop browser. I sometimes use this feature myself, because I don't like how certain sites see that a user is on iPad and they automatically dumb down the site, limiting the features available.

Google image search is a good example of a site that gets dumbed down when they see that you are on a mobile device.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    metameta Posts: 1member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

On the what in North America? On the Internet?

Good heavens - in the headline, no less!  Is proofreading a dead art?

• Reply 14 of 34
    meta wrote: »
    Good heavens - in the headline, no less!  Is proofreading a dead art?

Hear Here, at least.

Last edited by Tallest Skil at 3:31:12
  • Reply 15 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    The response to these kinds of reports by the Android crowd borders on dementia. They literally invent alternate scenarios in order to maintain their fantasies.

True. The delusional Fandroids and conspiracy theorists just have to make up lame and unbelievable excuses to explain why nobody is using Android tablets.

Wild conspiracy theories are not needed. The simple truth is that Android tablets suck and virtually everybody, with the exception of a tiny, loud group of escaped mental patients on the internet, consumers prefer iPads. They can try and spin it any way that they want, but my eyes don't lie, I only see iPads when I am out and about and rarely anything else.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    shighshigh Posts: 27member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    True. The delusional Fandroids and conspiracy theorists just have to make up lame and unbelievable excuses to explain why nobody is using Android tablets.

Wild conspiracy theories are not needed. The simple truth is that Android tablets suck and virtually everybody, with the exception of a tiny, loud group of escaped mental patients on the internet, consumers prefer iPads. They can try and spin it any way that they want, but my eyes don't lie, I only see iPads when I am out and about and rarely anything else.
    Word on that. Seven planes in four days. All ipads. Really. Not one of anything else. And i made a point to look being a kool aid drinking RDF dweller.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    This isn't that surprising. For a casual user like myself I can use my iPad for most of my computing needs. Based in the few android tabs I've tried ( Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, GalaxyTab) I'm surprised the percentage isn't higher
  • Reply 18 of 34
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Apple is doomed!

And the Surface Pro and Surface RT have a kickstand.  See.  click.

• Reply 19 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I was "forced" to use a user's Galaxy S4 a few days ago here at the office to configure it to connect to our exchange server.  While I was able to configure it in a few minutes being in IT and using all forms of OS', what made it a horrible experience was trying to undue the settings the joe-user did when he tried to do it on his own before coming to me.  It was so badly configured that just undoing it was a test of patience.

Android is fine for the tech-saavy and tinkerers.  For the general population, Android is the biggest, steaming pile of garbage.  Fandroids should be downright ashamed of themselves for spinning Android to make it sound it's a product for the masses.  It is not.  Sure it it the largest installed base, but the reality is that Android is being used mainly as a dumbphone, and because it's "free", no one bothers to really make it work well.

Android is crap.  It's makes me cringe when I use it.  I can navigate it, but those poor users that didn't necessarily know better have to deal with it on a daily basis.

• Reply 20 of 34
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Possibly fixed that for you.

No, you forget that something "possible" instantly becomes FACT as longs as it's FUD regarding Apple.