linksys and mac?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.emscomputing.com/ProductInfo.asp?v=G3&idProduct=12624607"; target="_blank">http://www.emscomputing.com/ProductInfo.asp?v=G3&idProduct=12624607</a>;

I am trying to set up a wireless network. Does anyone know whether I can use this router/accesspoint with macintosh? I know that some of the earlier wireless access points from linksys were set up through a browser and thus cross platform. Is there any reason that this one shouldn't work with a mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I have this exact model, and, as a matter of fact, am browsing the internet with it as I write. There is really no problem with it. Airport connects to it (the Airport card in your computer) without as much as a huff. The one thing you should remember is to put a $ (yes, that's a dollar sign) in front of the WEP-key in case you go the password-protected way. But you don't even need to.

It IS really as easy as they claim it is.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I use one also. I would definitely recommend going third party for a wireless router as opposed to Apple. Not only is it cheaper, but because they don't care as much about the "coolness" factor, they have antennae on the outside - range and power are much better on this router than on the Airport Base Station (at least my older one).
  • Reply 3 of 6
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    Do any of the linksys hubs have usb ports for printing? This is the one feature I like on the new apple hubs.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Oh, there is ONE thing you should know: it does not support AppleTalk wirelessly (strangely enough, you can connect over AppleTalk via the 4 port ethernet hub included in the router). This is no problem, since both in OS 8 and 9 and in X, you can set up your mac to allow connection over tcp/ip. (this can be set in file sharing in classic, and I guess its default in X - you can also find the ip address in the DHCP clients table of the router, if that doesn't sound to chinese for you). BUT: I have an Appletalk printer that is connected to my other comp via ethernet, and I can't really print to that printer wirelessly. That's a bit sad, I think, although it's not really a problem since the printer (a hp laserprinter) is used so rarely it's only turned on when printing.

So: if you have an AppleTalk network printer you'd like to print from from afar, you'll have to reconsider.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    Ok, what exactley is AppleTalk? *blush* My parents had a mac classic (they got it right after I left for college, figures) but they were never on the net or anything like that. The only time I ever used it was for 2 days when I recreated the forms my dad had to send in for work. (I did it in excel and they looked exactley like the originals!) Anyways I was never exposed to AppleTalk...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    AppleTalk is a network protocol. You might say it's analogous to the languages people speak. AppleTalk was, for a long time, the #1 (only?) way two macintosh computers could be connected and talk to each other. That is no longer the case, but there is some hardware out there tailored specifically to work on AppleTalk networks (like the printer I have).